Francis Jeffers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrorise - verb (tr) to coerce or control by violence, fear, threats, etc. to inspire with dread; terrify.

And I don't recall stating he should be locked up. But do I think people who drink drive should be punished? Absolutely. It's not acceptable behaviour and I'd imagine isn't acceptable to people who have lost loved ones to selfish individuals who considered their convenience to take priority. So take note.

Wrong defintion. Or at least inadequate. Based on that defintion any act of common assault or intimidation could be classified as terrorism. You used that word or repeated it to exaggerate and conflate what Jeffers did. You may not like him and you may suffer from a lack of compassion but he is not a terrorist. Osama Bin Laden was a terrorist.

Jeffers at least got stuck in at Anfield in our last win there - something very few blues do - and for that I salute him. I salute him coz he played for EFC and I did not. I salute him because he did some stupid things but he's recognized his errors.

Try this on for a better definition: Bruce Hoffman of Georgetown University has defined terrorism as “violence—or equally important, the threat of violence—used and directed in pursuit of, or in service of, a political aim.” Similarly, Louise Richardson of Oxford University believes terrorism is “deliberately and violently targeting civilians for political purposes.” Under these definitions, if there is no political aim, it is simply a crime and, if there is no violence, it is not terrorism.

This is not the type of behavior that is acceptable from someone who should be a role model.
Like the idea of including ex players behind the scenes , but it should be the likes of Dunc , Timmy , Bainesy etc.. Time to move on from him.
Yeah, what a role model he is. Butting and strangling other players and throwing dinner tables at club employees. An absolute professional.

Wrong defintion. Or at least inadequate. Based on that defintion any act of common assault or intimidation could be classified as terrorism. You used that word or repeated it to exaggerate and conflate what Jeffers did. You may not like him and you may suffer from a lack of compassion but he is not a terrorist. Osama Bin Laden was a terrorist.

Jeffers at least got stuck in at Anfield in our last win there - something very few blues do - and for that I salute him. I salute him coz he played for EFC and I did not. I salute him because he did some stupid things but he's recognized his errors.

Try this on for a better definition: Bruce Hoffman of Georgetown University has defined terrorism as “violence—or equally important, the threat of violence—used and directed in pursuit of, or in service of, a political aim.” Similarly, Louise Richardson of Oxford University believes terrorism is “deliberately and violently targeting civilians for political purposes.” Under these definitions, if there is no political aim, it is simply a crime and, if there is no violence, it is not terrorism.

OK. Fair enough. If you wish to split hairs on popular slang usage, dictionary definitions and linguistic academia I'll concede the point. The English language is ever evolving and maybe I've allowed myself to be left behind on that particular one.

Would terrified his ex be an acceptable change?

He's still a bell though. Getting stuck in for 90 minutes during a game played by children doesn't give someone a pass on future behaviour in my opinion but we obviously also differ on that.

He didn’t say it was an “act of terrorism”, he said he terrorised his wife.

That is pretty common language in the the context of domestic abuse and means to fill the person with fear and dread - he told her she would end up in a coffin. This usage isn’t really ever conflated with “terrorism”.

The point remains that Jeffers has had domestic abuse issues and drink driving issues and remains an employee of “the people’s club.”

It’s poor from us to keep brushing it under the carpet just because he used to play for us.

Alright Franny, calm down.

I can’t help but notice that we haven’t issued a statement saying he’s been relieved of his position and the club have cut all ties with him. Then again I suppose he can’t drive into Finch Farm to be sacked can he?

Have we actually said anything about this? Where's the statement condemning what he's done and saying it doesn't meet our standards and values?

Honestly were run like a corner shop. Amateurs.

Yeah, what a role model he is. Butting and strangling other players and throwing dinner tables at club employees. An absolute professional.

I doubt the RS manager is a nice fella to deal with when he is annoyed either. In this modern game you need a larger than life character. I was impressed with the brief spell Dunc had as the manager.

I doubt the RS manager is a nice fella to deal with when he is annoyed either. In this modern game you need a larger than life character. I was impressed with the brief spell Dunc had as the manager.

It was helter skelter football that no team can keep up for long.

The results and performances fell away after the win against Chelsea and draw against United. Having been knocked out by Leicester in the LC, we could clearly see he didn't have a clue by the Arsenal game at home. Subbing a sub after 5 minutes underlined what a clown he is.

He didn’t say it was an “act of terrorism”, he said he terrorised his wife.

That is pretty common language in the the context of domestic abuse and means to fill the person with fear and dread - he told her she would end up in a coffin. This usage isn’t really ever conflated with “terrorism”.

The point remains that Jeffers has had domestic abuse issues and drink driving issues and remains an employee of “the people’s club.”

It’s poor from us to keep brushing it under the carpet just because he used to play for us.

Yes I agree that it is commonly used especially by journalists and the Crown Prosecution but it is incorrect. And should not be brushed under the carpet. It is used to produce a negative emotion from the reader and/or judge.
I have no idea about the domestic dispute or his divorce that Jeffers was involved in but you feel you have the right to judge him and imply that he should not be working for EFC. I understand that Jeffers apologized and he has paid the penalty and moved on. Not enough though is it for you?

Please watch the Alice Johnson speech at the RNC in the USA to see the power of forgiveness, compassion and
acceptance.

Finally, I find it difficult to believe that the character of EFC fans could have changed from the wild, cynical, slightly dubious that I knew decades ago to a bunch of holier-than-thou, superior moral beings.

Status
Not open for further replies.