Everton v Stoke City... Match report and MotM Poll..

Everton Man of the Match

• Jordan Pickford

Votes: 58 11.3%
  • Leighton Baines

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Ashley Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phil Jagielka

• Michael Keane

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • Idrissa Gana Gueye

Votes: 127 24.8%
  • Morgan Schneiderlin

• Davy Klaassen

• Sandro Ramirez

• Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • Wayne Rooney

Votes: 287 56.1%
  • Cuco Martina

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Tom Davies

• Kevin Mirallas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
God we were poor first half. Luckily, though Stoke were much sharper, they pretty much had a pop gun attack so we got away with it.

Second half was much better and we looked like a properly balanced side rather than a ragged collection of individuals.

Can't lie, though Rooney showed his class in the second half, Gana grew into the game and DCL worked hard and was fairly effective, I'm struggling to actually name a MOTM.

So here is the thing. The new signings of Pickford and Wayne were crucial today. Keane was solid.
Idris played like he did at the start of last season.

So 4 RK signings, bang on.

The gelling with the rest is still clearly a work in progress and in honesty possibly shows how far away from the desired quality the rest of the squad are/were.

Stoke anytime of the season is never nailed on and it was a very hard, at times dull, at times nervy, 3 points.
Would we have won that game with last seasons starting 11? Very subjective, but maybe not.

The Sexy FC has not arrived yet, but in a few weeks time and with the addition of another 2 or 3, who knows ;)

Not seen it yet mate, but you could tell he enjoyed scoring that goal. It was like a weight had been taken off his shoulders too the way he played in the second half. I wasn't a big fan of bringing him back to the club, but if that second half performance is an indication of what we can expect this season then I'm happy to eat humble pie.

Fully agree on RK team selections at the moment, both in personnel and formation. Can't believe he's still playing DCL as a wide man. The difference in him (and the team) second half when he went up top was plain to see, but the worrying thing is that it's by no means the first time we've said that in just the last few weeks alone. Hopefully he will put and end to this madness.

..agreed but a couple of points: I like a manager who is single minded, he does what he thinks is right even if we all disagree; he did change thing at half-time and then brought Davies on, so he clearly is managing the game.

Some of his decisions and tactics, though, are bizarre. I just hope he stumbles on the right blend, it might be by luck as much as judgement (injuries and suspensions).

Rooney's fairytale return capped with superb header

Everton 1 - 0 Stoke City

Wayne Rooney and every Evertonian could only have dreamt of him scoring on his return to Premiership action for the Blues, maybe it was written in the stars.

After a busy start to the summer transfer activity and successful pre-season schedule including progression in the early stages of the Europa League, the serious business of the Premier League began with the visit of Mark Hughes and his Stoke City outfit to a full house Goodison bathed in pleasant sunshine and offering perfect playing conditions.

Wanting to maintain last season's excellent home form with a winning start, Ronald Koeman selected: Pickford, Baines, Williams, Jagielka, Keane, Schneiderlin, Gueye, Klaassen, Ramirez, Calvert-Lewin and Rooney.

The Potters lined up: Butland, Cameron, Shawcross, Zouma, Pieters, Allen, Fletcher, Diouf, Shaquiri, Bojan Krkric and Berahino.

In charge of proceedings was referee Neil Swarbrick.

A slow, at times turgid, opening forty-five minutes ended in glorious fashion with the fairy tale homecoming goal for Wayne Rooney.

Most of the first half was eminently forgettable as Everton plodded rather than purred, dominating the possession but, having the only attempt on target with a Gana Gueye shot on twenty minutes that Butland comfortably saved.

Joe Allen was booked on 28 minutes for tripping Rooney as he looked to capitalise on collecting a quick pass from DCL.

Finally, as the fourth official was signalling one extra minute, Everton clicked into gear with Gana playing a one-two with Rooney to then find Ramirez. The Spaniards turned and played DCL into space for the inch perfect cross for Wayne Rooney to plant his header beyond the reach of the despairing Butland.

Half Time: 1 - 0

Cuco Martina came on for Ashley Williams in a tactical switch away from the three-man back line that hadn't exactly sparkled in the opening half.

Baines was felled by what appeared an elbow from Shaquiri that went unpunished with the Stoke move ending with a cross flashing across the face of the Everton six yard box.

The second half was much improved with more pace and movement and a great ball from Rooney for DCL needed a superb tackle from Zouma to avert the danger.

Rooney was at the certain of just about everything and a cross field ball found Baines on the left and his ball inside saw only a weak chip shot from Klaassen.

The hour mark saw Tom Davies enter the fray coming on for Klaassen and the improvement in Everton's general play continued when DCL robbed Zouma and forced Butland into a smart save at the near post.

Rooney again linked well with Martina for cross that saw Keane hurt in heading the ball back across the Stoke six yard area.

Stoke used the stoppage to bring Crouch and Choupo-Moting on for Berahino and Bojan respectively and six minutes later, Kevin Mirallas replaced Ramirez.

Into the final ten minutes and Stoke were pumping high balls into the box for Crouch and co, but Everton stood firm to run the clock down.

In added on time, Jordan Pickford capped a debut clean sheet with a terrific save to deny Shaquiri who had been the biggest threat from a Stoke perspective.

Full Time: 1 - 0

Speaking after the game, Wayne Rooney commented, "it was a great moment to score. It was a tough game and the changes at half time worked well as we were better second half and deserved to win the game. To score and for it to be the winner was a very special moment for me personally."

Mark Hughes noted, "we started well and had good first half control. We needed to get to half time, but allowed the move for you-know-who, who was always going to be part of today's' story".

"The result was not what we wanted, but overall, I was satisfied with our performance".

Ronald Koeman remarked, "we looked nervous on the ball in the first half, Stoke made it difficult and it was a great goal from Wayne".

"The decision to go with four at the back made us more comfortable on the ball and we made more chances second half. We defended well and only allowed them one shot on goal".

"It wasn't the best performance, but it was three points and a clean sheet for Jordan, so I am relatively happy".
Cheers Andy mate good start both from you and the Toffs to the season!!

Last edited:
I went with Wayne for his all round play and for the goal. Pickford, to be fair, looked assured but only really had that one magnificent save at the end to earn his wages. Idrissa had his usual good game. It was nice to see the whole team closing down the opposition.

God we were poor first half. Luckily, though Stoke were much sharper, they pretty much had a pop gun attack so we got away with it.

Second half was much better and we looked like a properly balanced side rather than a ragged collection of individuals.

Can't lie, though Rooney showed his class in the second half, Gana grew into the game and DCL worked hard and was fairly effective, I'm struggling to actually name a MOTM.
Nice little dig there!

..agreed but a couple of points: I like a manager who is single minded, he does what he thinks is right even if we all disagree; he did change thing at half-time and then brought Davies on, so he clearly is managing the game.

Some of his decisions and tactics, though, are bizarre. I just hope he stumbles on the right blend, it might be by luck as much as judgement (injuries and suspensions).

Interested in your view on Klassen @Eggs .

At home we don't need to play two DMs unless we face City. Its counterproductive. I miss Arteta and his passing from CM, his turns, little dinks and through balls. We haven't replaced him since he left. Schneiderlin is Sideways and Gueye is only Gana tackle/intercept but none of those have a forward pass in them. We need to play one of those or play Besic alongside cos he can pick a pass and runs with the ball from the middle. Otherwise put Barkley in there.
I don't understand Klaasen's position. Maybe we will know more with time what exactly he brings but today he was a poor version of Naismith.

Lastly, this 3 5 2 works with two pacy and energetic wingbacks. Coleman is boss as a WB but Baines is a traditional LB who loves over laps but is not a WB and is pushing 33 soon. I'd rather we play a 4 3 3 at home using width and pace. It would Sandro's style as well.

On the train home and had a couple of San Miguel so apologies if any typos! Awful, and I mean awful first half. We can't play 3 at the back and wing backs with the players he put out today.

We 100% need a new centre half to compliment Keane and some creativity and pace going forward.

Thought Davies livened things up when he came on

Koeman lost some brownie points with me today for that first half. Good job stoke was god damn awful.

Rooney will take the headlines but Gana Gueye for me, yet again. Very happy with the Keane and Pickford signings. Dreadful first half, got a little sexy at times in the second, decent start. Felt good cheering Wayne's goal.. more than I expected, well in blue.

Terrible footy.

Really surprised Williams was subbed purely based on I didn't think it would happen, ever. We looked so much better without the very defensive back 5.

Rooney worked hard and especially in the first half looked like the only one who was arsed.

Pickford and keane did well.

Sandro wasn't brought into the game at all.

Klaasen was boring/rubbish, not effective at all. Whatever fits the agenda.

On the train home and had a couple of San Miguel so apologies if any typos! Awful, and I mean awful first half. We can't play 3 at the back and wing backs with the players he put out today.

We 100% need a new centre half to compliment Keane and some creativity and pace going forward.

Thought Davies livened things up when he came on

Koeman lost some brownie points with me today for that first half. Good job stoke was god damn awful.

We was crap last season loads of first half games then second totally better

Status
Not open for further replies.