Everton v Stoke City... Match report and MotM Poll..

Everton Man of the Match

• Jordan Pickford

Votes: 58 11.3%
  • Leighton Baines

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Ashley Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phil Jagielka

• Michael Keane

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • Idrissa Gana Gueye

Votes: 127 24.8%
  • Morgan Schneiderlin

• Davy Klaassen

• Sandro Ramirez

• Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • Wayne Rooney

Votes: 287 56.1%
  • Cuco Martina

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Tom Davies

• Kevin Mirallas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
(sigh) Got better as it went along, I suppose. If we had a little pace, we have a back end that can distribute with Pickford and Keane now. Gueye MOM, Pickford a close second. God, it's good to have a commanding keeper. Good to have three points.

Oh, and Darren Fletcher - what a ****house, eh?

I went with Wayne for his all round play and for the goal. Pickford, to be fair, looked assured but only really had that one magnificent save at the end to earn his wages. Idrissa had his usual good game. It was nice to see the whole team closing down the opposition.

I dunno mate, I thought he looked solid throughout. I love how he was aggressive in the area, prevented having to make more goal line saves. Plus his distribution was pretty darn good imo.

Gana was the only one who shone in the first and second half and was clearly man of the match for me.
Baffling formation in the first half from Koeman: DCL IS NOT A WINGER; three at the back just doesn't work for us, especially when we don't have a right wing back (who was supposed to be there today?); Sandro and Klaasen both looked lost and didn't get into the match at all.
On a positive note, Pickford, Keane and Rooney (as well as Gana of course) all played well and we are two points ahead of our unlovable neighbours.

Rooney for me was easily our man of the match and the one who showed his class.

He might not have much pace but with a lot of runners around him he could still pull the strings for us.

I really question some of the players we have or are going for.

Pickford, Keane, Gana and Rooney were the ones who proved their worth today. The rest definitely needs to shape up.

I agree.

Pickford and Keane look like real additions.

Rooney will not perform as well often enough but we'll leave that point for another thread.

Frankly we were far from great today. We won. It's 3 points. I'm content but was that the bright new dawn? Not yet.

I think we're in trouble, to be honest

Obviously it will take time for the team to gel.We have all these new signings and there's a few more to come.But we did get the win against a team that are difficult to play against.To be honest i think it's a bit early to be declaring after the first game of the season that were in trouble.Im not expecting a flying start to the season at all.So i think performances could be very up and down in the opening months of the season.

Reactions: rbm

regardless of what here out Pickford, Rooney and Keane, will be fighting for signing of the season.

First half we were a mess, trying to play Gana as a right wing back or even DCL out wide was a tactical mistake, I'm really not sure what the formation was, can anyone advise?

Second half, with a clear back 4, everyone seemed to know what to do, Rooney was the cog, but with Gana and Snides behind him and Davies being the terrier he is.
DCL really put himself about, but with a good save from Butland, then an even better one one from Pickford, I think we just deserved it.
Not sure what the team will be on Thursday, but hopefully with a back four everyone will know the formation!

Pickford earned us points with that last save.
Good as that was, that wasn't why he saved us those 3 points. It was the way he commanded his box. every ball he came out for he got a hand on. That kind of command help inspire your defense. When can Everton last say that Martin ? Southall ? He will inspire our back line to play better.

I went for Rooney as MOTM it was a toss up, But it was his day! :cheers:

Gana was the only one who shone in the first and second half and was clearly man of the match for me.
Baffling formation in the first half from Koeman: DCL IS NOT A WINGER; three at the back just doesn't work for us, especially when we don't have a right wing back (who was supposed to be there today?); Sandro and Klaasen both looked lost and didn't get into the match at all.
On a positive note, Pickford, Keane and Rooney (as well as Gana of course) all played well and we are two points ahead of our unlovable neighbours.
This is spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.