Everton v Stoke City... Match report and MotM Poll..

Everton Man of the Match

• Jordan Pickford

Votes: 58 11.3%
  • Leighton Baines

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Ashley Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phil Jagielka

• Michael Keane

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • Idrissa Gana Gueye

Votes: 127 24.8%
  • Morgan Schneiderlin

• Davy Klaassen

• Sandro Ramirez

• Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • Wayne Rooney

Votes: 287 56.1%
  • Cuco Martina

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Tom Davies

• Kevin Mirallas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nice to have a manager who doesn't dither when things aren't working, and who admits, even to supporters, when he gets it wrong. Koeman switched it up immediately after the first half yesterday. Martinez, god bless, didn't really adjust after two years of stagnation.

As I'm sure a thousand fumers observed as soon as the team sheet came out, Calvert-Lewin as a wing-back was just odd. I had though it would in practice it would be more like a front three, with DCL up alongside Rooney and Sandro, but apart from the goal itself, we just couldn't find space for him up there. He can do many things, but bringing down 50+ yard hoofs from Keane along the touchline is not one of them.

We just had no idea how to get it forward with the back three. Keane mostly just hoofed, and Jagielka on the other hand often found himself having to start the attack from just across the halfway line. He probably got slated on here, but its not really his fault that he's being asked to play so far out of his proper position. We barely controlled anything at all in their half the entire first 45.

Things were so much better, obviously, in the second half - though with the caveat of course that the goal opened things up enormously. Martina was actually decent at getting into good position, though he makes a lot of mistakes on the ball and is an indifferent defender. It's hard to imagine why Kenny isn't getting a chance, though I don't doubt the people who actually watch him train have their reasons.

Calvert-Levin, despite his scrawniness against the Stoke CB ogres, was actually fairly impressive at holding the ball up and distributing in the second half, and made some clever runs too. I hope it's the last time he gets banished out to the wings.

Gana was brilliant and probably of greater value yesterday than Rooney, but Wayne got the goal and was no slouch either - so MOTM for me. I wonder what a heat map would look like. He was everywhere, almost like a box-to-box player - though not a defensive asset, mind. I was pretty dubious about the signing, but if he can keep that up, I'm all in. He just seemed to always be there to knit things together - actually, a bit like Barkley, though even without looking to shoot immediately, like Barkley always does just before row-Zedding it, Wayne as a midfielder is also still a much greater threat to score.
Excellent post

It's nice to have a manager who doesn't dither when things aren't working, and who admits, even to supporters, when he gets it wrong. Koeman switched it up immediately after the first half yesterday. Martinez, god bless, didn't really adjust after two years of stagnation.

As I'm sure a thousand fumers observed as soon as the team sheet came out, Calvert-Lewin as a wing-back was just odd. I had though it would in practice it would be more like a front three, with DCL up alongside Rooney and Sandro, but apart from the goal itself, we just couldn't find space for him up there. He can do many things, but bringing down 50+ yard hoofs from Keane along the touchline is not one of them.

We just had no idea how to get it forward with the back three. Keane mostly just hoofed, and Jagielka on the other hand often found himself having to start the attack from just across the halfway line. He probably got slated on here, but its not really his fault that he's being asked to play so far out of his proper position. We barely controlled anything at all in their half the entire first 45.

Things were so much better, obviously, in the second half - though with the caveat of course that the goal opened things up enormously. Martina was actually decent at getting into good position, though he makes a lot of mistakes on the ball and is an indifferent defender. It's hard to imagine why Kenny isn't getting a chance, though I don't doubt the people who actually watch him train have their reasons.

Calvert-Levin, despite his scrawniness against the Stoke CB ogres, was actually fairly impressive at holding the ball up and distributing in the second half, and made some clever runs too. I hope it's the last time he gets banished out to the wings.

Gana was brilliant and probably of greater value yesterday than Rooney, but Wayne got the goal and was no slouch either - so MOTM for me. I wonder what a heat map would look like. He was everywhere, almost like a box-to-box player - though not a defensive asset, mind. I was pretty dubious about the signing, but if he can keep that up, I'm all in. He just seemed to always be there to knit things together - actually, a bit like Barkley, though even without looking to shoot immediately, like Barkley always does just before row-Zedding it, Wayne as a midfielder is also still a much greater threat to score.

..I am concerned that Koeman sometimes gets the basics wrong but I agree that it's also encouraging that he managed the game and changed things. He hasn't always done this but at least he's single minded.

Rooney was great (and I'm one who didn't want him in first place), DCL good attitude but not good enough for us if we want top 5. Gueye was great, look fwd to selling him to Man U next year for 40m (after demanding 70m)and a pat on the head (a la lukaku).

Watched the game again, changed my perception somewhat.

Obviously the formation was iffy in the first half, effectively reducing us to 10 men as DCL was nowhere near the game. BUT. When we had the ball forward, some of our play was very tidy. The goal is obviously the best example, but wasn't the only one. In this sense, Klaassen's game was better than I think most perceived at the time. He had us moving quickly every time he had the ball, though he was a little too hesitant to get on it. Certainly one of our better players in the first half though.

The problem in the first half was Schneiderlin and Jagielka, and the fact Baines was woefully isolated by the formation. To play that formation, we badly needed the tempo to be set from deep but Morgan was bizarrely hesitant to look forward and Jags was dreadful on the ball. Our only promising first-half moves came front Keane, including the goal.

The second half was better purely by having DCL actually as an active participant, and freeing Gana to come off the right and get involved more. Obviously Rooney was wonderful throughout, especially in the last 20 minutes when, along with Pickford, he completely led us to victory.

The notion that Davies coming on was some sort of turning point to me was a little misguided. I love Tom, but he didn't do anything that Klaassen wasn't doing, and on reflection I do wonder if had Davy stayed on he might have been able to make better use of the space that was opening up as we launched a few more attacks. Davies did a job though, and played perfectly fine.

I would say we need to stick with four at the back, and Schneiderlin needs to quickly find form again. I also think Sigurdsson would/will be a terrific addition, as we have so many excellent forward options now that just need exploiting by a player with his class. The next four games will be completely different to this one though, so it's hard to know what to expect next.

Didn't work 1st half as the personnel simply didn't fit the system. If you play 3 centre half's at least 2 of them need to be good on the ball, Williams and especially jags where poor on it. A lot of the play in 1st half started with jags who can't pass and he takes to long on the ball, by the time he does play it the opposition are set and our more advanced players are picked up. I think Holgate has to play in a 3.

You also need high energy wingbacks who can get forward, press and get back and defend when needed, Baines hasn't got the legs for that and DCL isn't a wingback, although he did the getting forward and energy part well enough.

We also lacked a link between the defence and attack, that was Klassens roll but I don't feel that game suited him, he needs to ball into his feet in dangerous areas and he didn't get that service at all as we struggled to get up the field as a team and the service into him wasn't great. I think he'll be a good buy, he needs time but in a game where we further up the field and he's getting the ball played quick into him within 25/30 yards of goal I think he will hurt teams. But in games when we are not high up the field as a team you need players who can drive the ball forward to link defence and attack, Davies would have been a better suited option in this circumstance, so would Barkley if fit. Failing a player who can drive the ball forward, a genius like Rooney who can ping perfect balls to the attackers from a deeper position, as seen in the 2nd half.

Wait until teams like West Brom come and camp on the edge of their box until you see Klassens true worth. As you need quick minded clever players who can play 1 touch passes, and break a team down, which is what Barkley lacks.

The goal summed Rooney's day up - he was involved in 3 phases; helped win possession in own half, got forward and linked the play then had the desire and nous to get on the end of the move. Cracking header to beat a decent keeper from that position as well.
I was most pleased with Pickford - looked confident, good distribution and bossed the area when required.
Gana was immense, no surprise there. I don't like to criticise, given the effort he puts in, but shooting isn't his forte - credit for getting in forward positions, but I'd prefer it if he passed instead.

What a strange team - it was clear from kick off that the team were uneasy playing three at the back. They weren't willing - or able - to play the ball out of defence. And nobody was sure who was meant to be marking the wide spaces.

Jagielka and Williams both looked out of place when they lumbered towards the touchline. Calvert-Lewin offered little protection on the right. Baines seemed unsure of his responsibilities. And Gana was often drawn out of his central position.

Stoke had 45 minutes to exploit the space, and we were lucky that they failed to take advantage of it. A winger like Arnautovic would have had a field day. It was clear that we were in desperate need of two full backs.

I'm not sure why Koeman waited until halftime to make a change, nor why Williams was chosen to go off and why Martina was chosen to come on. Luckily, Stoke played an equally strange formation, with three at the back and a forward - Diouf - at wingback too.

Still, there were two memorable moments, Rooney's goal and Pickford's late save.

Royal Blue Mersey had a good tactical analysis today in an article entitled 'Koeman admits mistake' imagine Martinez doing that.....
Yeah, it was a good read - here's my favorite:

Calvert-Lewin became the first player I can think of to play both right-back and striker in the same match

Also liked their analysis of Klaassen's movement contributing significantly to Rooney's goal. High footballing IQ

Status
Not open for further replies.