Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I think they just passed it around and through us with ease. And I thought Fernandes was very good, just waited in space for Everton midfield to get bypassed and the receive the ball. If you had to choose a team to be competitive in Europe based on that game no way it'd be us
Around yes. Through no. They passed through us a handful of times 90 minutes. I appreciate a player who shoots a lot but Fernandes choosing to shoot every time he's inside 30 yards becomes poor decision making at some point. They were good for 1 goal max today.

The shot wasn't on target, if it had gone in without Sigurdsson being in an offside position, it would have been deemed an own goal - hence Sigurdsson can't be offside.

It was a clear as day penalty before it anyway.

Shot doesnt have to be on target.

and yes, yes it was.

Around yes. Through no. They passed through us a handful of times 90 minutes. I appreciate a player who shoots a lot but Fernandes choosing to shoot every time he's inside 30 yards becomes poor decision making at some point. They were good for 1 goal max today.

I don't agree but I do think your position is fully respectable. By the way disappointed in Pickford for their goal.

The club needs to publicly call out moss and co. The more we kick off about being screwed by bad decisions the more refs will not want to give bad calls agaisnt us due to the hassel. Go full tantrum mode.

Hopefully this brings players together aswell in an us and them mentality

It would've been better if it didn't go in, we would've made more of a fuss over the penalty, instead everyone was celebrating the goal.

So in this case Sigurdson is still only interfering if he's obstructing DeGea's view the last time an Everton player played the ball (DCL)?...but if he touches the ball after after it deflects off Maguire he is offside...

If he doesn't touch the ball (he moved out of the way) then he remains inactive so still not offside?

Not really no. When DCL played the ball the only thing to look at is if Siggurdson was in an offside position or not. He clearly was.

But that's not an offence. An offence only occurs at a point further on from that, in this case Sig being in De Gea's line of sight stopping him from being able to play the ball (in the VAR's opinion).

Guess you could say that when DCL plays the ball its Sig's position which is important. After that it's his action which is important. The 2 together make an offside offence.

Think of if DCL played a throughball for Sig to run onto behind the defence. When DCL played the ball Sig was in an offside position but you don't get penalised at that point, he only gets penalised 20 yards later when he interferes and actually touches the ball. Or in this case Sig is in an offside position when DCL shoots, but is only penalised when he interferes by being in De Gea's line of sight as the ball hits Maguire.

Not really no. When DCL played the ball the only thing to look at is if Siggurdson was in an offside position or not. He clearly was.

But that's not an offence. An offence only occurs at a point further on from that, in this case Sig being in De Gea's line of sight stopping him from being able to play the ball (in the VAR's opinion).

Guess you could say that when DCL plays the ball its Sig's position which is important. After that it's his action which is important. The 2 together make an offside offence.

Think of if DCL played a throughball for Sig to run onto behind the defence. When DCL played the ball Sig was in an offside position but you don't get penalised at that point, he only gets penalised 20 yards later when he interferes and actually touches the ball. Or in this case Sig is in an offside position when DCL shoots, but is only penalised when he interferes by being in De Gea's line of sight as the ball hits Maguire.

But it can surely be argued that when the ball deflects off Maguire, it's not Sigurdson position that's affecting DeGea in any way, DeGea is beaten because he has no way of changing his direction to be able to make any save (and its even safe to assume DeGea has clear sight of the ball the entire time)...

I'd love Moss to come out and explain the difference between the two? Here is the play in question (5:40):

The rules are too convoluted these days and the officials just make it up as they go along, pretty much, based on what they think's going to get them the least aggro.

But it can surely be argued that when the ball deflects off Maguire, it's not Sigurdson position that's affecting DeGea in any way, DeGea is beaten because he has no way of changing his direction to be able to make any save (and its even safe to assume DeGea has clear sight of the ball the entire time)...

Yeah, i think it should have stood, De Gea could see over Sig and wasn't stopped from playing the ball I'm just trying to explain it from the law and the VAR's point of view to why they might have disallowed it.

to be fair these types of fouls are regularly not given if the player gets the shot away

Yes mate and I'd agree in most cases.

But the reason why it's mentioned is because when he gets taken out, that's where he is a few seconds later due to the tackle when DCL gets the shot. So fie to that foul, that's how he ends up where he is.

So that tackle has a massive impact on the next passage of play. Give us the pen if you don't want to the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.