Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone can wipe anyone out in the box 2 seconds after the ball has gone.

The PGMOL have spoken. I hope we play with suitable aggression in light of this statement. Presumably under their logic fouls will only be given in future where people are injured.

What a shambles.

Here's part of a report from Liverpool v Spurs last season, swap the players names to those from today and ask how different it was.. the ref for this game was Moss who was VAR today.
"When Dele Alli plays the ball forward there is no doubt that Kane is in an offside position, but he does not receive it from that pass. Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren made a deliberate, but poor, attempt to play the ball. As he made contact with the ball that essentially creates a new phase of play and Kane is now onside"
Here's the full article https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/es...tottenham-have-had-two-penalties-at-liverpool

I'd love Moss to come out and explain the difference between the two? Here is the play in question (5:40):

I think there's a bit of a misconception here over whether Maguire touching the ball resets the offside. It doesn't.

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage. "

Basically IFAB define deliberately in this sense as playing the ball, kicking the ball etc etc, whereas a deflection where the ball hits an opponent who was not attempting to play it doesn't change the offside. Common sense really in the difference between a deliberate play and a deflection. I'm pretty sure it was a deflection off Maguire, he didn't deliberately backheeel the ball into his own goal.

So in this case Sigurdson is still only interfering if he's obstructing DeGea's view the last time an Everton player played the ball (DCL)?...but if he touches the ball after after it deflects off Maguire he is offside...

If he doesn't touch the ball (he moved out of the way) then he remains inactive so still not offside?

I am sick to the back teeth of us seemingly always on the back of these bent decisions,i can run you a list of them the past few years, apparently it evens itself out,really? lol goodish performance,terrible preventable goal we conceded again,but I thought with that "goal"we maybe just about edged it although it could have gone either way,gone bainesey motm,although Calvert Lewin and to a lesser degree Richardson had excellent games too.

Massively annoyed with the disallowed goal. Really feel like I don't even know the rules of football any more. I don't mind the idea of VAR but the way it is used is causing problems.

To be honest though before the disallowed goal my gut feeling was the we were going to lose 2-1 or 3-1. Utd were miles better for most of the game, and we got absolutely schooled in the first half. So overall a draw isn't bad given how bad we were.

Really was a patch-up job on the midfield though. Sig on the left wing? Then Coleman came off and Sidibé was instantly targeted. Walcott had a frustrating game today too. Every player made frequent poor touches and passes. Pretty dire stuff.

Massively annoyed with the disallowed goal. Really feel like I don't even know the rules of football any more. I don't mind the idea of VAR but the way it is used is causing problems.

To be honest though before the disallowed goal my gut feeling was the we were going to lose 2-1 or 3-1. Utd were miles better for most of the game, and we got absolutely schooled in the first half. So overall a draw isn't bad given how bad we were.

Really was a patch-up job on the midfield though. Sig on the left wing? Then Coleman came off and Sidibé was instantly targeted. Walcott had a frustrating game today too. Every player made frequent poor touches and passes. Pretty dire stuff.
They were never miles better. They had a bunch of long range shots and that was it in the first half. Pickford has to make that save. We controlled the second and could have won. But at no point where they miles better unless passing the ball aimlessly side to side is good football now. Proper Martinez performance.

I
They were never miles better. They had a bunch of long range shots and that was it in the first half. Pickford has to make that save. We controlled the second and could have won. But at no point where they miles better unless passing the ball aimlessly side to side is good football now. Proper Martinez performance.

I think they just passed it around and through us with ease. And I thought Fernandes was very good, just waited in space for Everton midfield to get bypassed and the receive the ball. If you had to choose a team to be competitive in Europe based on that game no way it'd be us

Status
Not open for further replies.