Match Thread Everton v Burnley - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coleman, Holgate, Sidibe and Bernard all had good games.
Went for Seamus.
Brilliant by the Don to choose that role for him and he was up to the task.
The amount of times he beat his man with that mix of tenacity and composure - its like all of a sudden he's back to his best.

What was most impressive was the signs of rotation through the play - a long time since we've seen it and in stark contrast to the static play of Silva.
Bernard at the opposite far post, Seamus dribbling up through the centre, Sig dropping to cover with Seamus and Sidibe ahead, Holgate up the left ahead of Digne etc etc - at the same time I can't remember a time when they look unbalanced and out of shape.

Didn't feel like we were ever going to lose, it was just a case of if/when they would get the goal.
A long time since its been that assured.

A few games with big Dunc to get em working together and 1 match and a few words from the Don is all it took.
If we could get a bit of class up front Goodison will be rocking.

Is it my imagination, or did Bardsley elbow one of our players in the ribs in the last seconds of that game? Pretty sure the footage I watched had him doing that.

On Calvert-Lewin, right? At least a yellow, that was one of those cheap shots at the end of a game from a player on the losing side that usually gets punished. I think it might have been after the final whistle so maybe that’s why no one seemed to mind. They showed a replay of it on the US feed after the postgame handshakes so at least the TV producers noticed.

Mom Coleman has to be in the mix, superb today as was Holgate and Mina. Sigurdsson was very good, won the ball back so many times today. In fact every single player that played against Arsenal, showed a definite improvement today. If the final ball was better today, we could have had a bagfull.

pleased with our defenders generally but they keep getting stymied from 2 yards out - the goal is 24ft wide you don’t have to knock it right at the keeper FFS

disagree lid.Thought Siggurdson played really well different role but his effort couldn't be questioned his perseverance created the opportunity for Sidibe to cross for the goal. All round decent performance

agree BUT it might go differently against a side that wanted to attack, which Burnley didn’t want to do, not even a little bit... not hard to be a deep lying mid if you never get pressure

Isn’t that the point?
We will never progress to where we want to be by just lobing in crosses for headers. Crosses btw that are usually pretty poor this season & are met usually with poor headers bar Richy. We have one tactic for attacking throw ins which is to throw to near post hoping Mina heads it on but pretty much fails every time. Other teams players are moving around & making space for through balls or give & go's. We put it to the wing & cross. No wonder we struggle with actual strikers.

We simply don't shoot. We don't even play to shoot. We only do crosses for headers. Dom took his header well but if you throw enough muck at the wall....
Maybe on the eye test but we had 21 shots, only 5 on target mind you and not all of them "real shots" but we were attacking. They had 6 shots, 0 on target.

At the 35 minute mark I remember thinking, gee this game has felt like it's been 90 minutes already, we felt that slow. But inside that 35 minutes we had multiple shots, crosses, corners & chances. Trust in Carlo.

Status
Not open for further replies.