Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I agree with you, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of those who don't. DCL hasn't got a goal or assist in his last 9 games, that's worrying. If he had the record of Lukaku or whoever you put it down as a frustrating drought but ultimately you know things will go back to normal; in DCL's case though, this is normal. We're basically hoping that the 12 game run when he scored regularly is what he's going to be like in future. If it's not, and he reverts back to being a striker who regularly has long periods without scoring and ends the season with 7/8 goals, then we're not going anywhere fast. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I can totally see why others aren't.

The thing is though,most people said he'd never get double figures league goals. Whether he got the bulk of them in a 12 game run or not is sort of irrelevant, as he's disproved this theory. The goalposts then tend to be moved once he achieves this.

I have quite contradictory views on this. I think he's a very good number 9 in terms of what he offers to the team, but is ultimately not a very natural finisher. He will get better and make some improvements, as he had already, but he's never going to become completely natural. What you can say about him though, is he makes a lot of chances for himself. That cross v Sheffield United, he has no right to win it and he does. Likewise, the shot he had in the second half he turns an aimless punt down the pitch into a goalscoring opportunity. His pace, strength and aerial ability will mean he always gets chances, but he will never be massively clinical.

The one that got me for that was in the first half, that Gomes through ball Gomes put through that bounced off him. Vardy, Ings etc that ball is killed dead and probably leads to a goal.

He does look exhausted to me though and also lackijng in confidence. He will be the number 9 next season, and rightly so, but the hope will be either he delivers 15+ goals again and cements the position, or as a team we move to a point where either Moise Kean ousts him or we get a new player in.

Defo don’t need a striker. This is the 1st time in ages that I’ve felt like we have an embarrassment of riches upfront.

Whilst I don't quite share your enthusiasm, I also think we've got bigger priorities elsewhere. Two in centre mid, 1-2 out wide and a RB. Probably also prioritise a CB. There's no point keeping Kean if we bring in another striker in truth, either sell and buy a replacement or keep him and give him a chance next season.

Haven't seen this mentioned here, but if the Echo are correct about this, it changes the profile of the right winger we are looking for. Think most people had assumed that we wanted a right footed wide player (an upgrade on Walcott) who would stay wide - bit like Sarr etc

No guarantees the Echo are right, but it explains a bit more the links with the likes of Leon Bailey

Haven't seen this mentioned here, but if the Echo are correct about this, it changes the profile of the right winger we are looking for. Think most people had assumed that we wanted a right footed wide player (an upgrade on Walcott) who would stay wide - bit like Sarr etc

No guarantees the Echo are right, but it explains a bit more the links with the likes of Leon Bailey

one CM? We need 3 and the echo it’s a load of cow dung

The thing is though,most people said he'd never get double figures league goals. Whether he got the bulk of them in a 12 game run or not is sort of irrelevant, as he's disproved this theory. The goalposts then tend to be moved once he achieves this.

I have quite contradictory views on this. I think he's a very good number 9 in terms of what he offers to the team, but is ultimately not a very natural finisher. He will get better and make some improvements, as he had already, but he's never going to become completely natural. What you can say about him though, is he makes a lot of chances for himself. That cross v Sheffield United, he has no right to win it and he does. Likewise, the shot he had in the second half he turns an aimless punt down the pitch into a goalscoring opportunity. His pace, strength and aerial ability will mean he always gets chances, but he will never be massively clinical.

The one that got me for that was in the first half, that Gomes through ball Gomes put through that bounced off him. Vardy, Ings etc that ball is killed dead and probably leads to a goal.

He does look exhausted to me though and also lackijng in confidence. He will be the number 9 next season, and rightly so, but the hope will be either he delivers 15+ goals again and cements the position, or as a team we move to a point where either Moise Kean ousts him or we get a new player in.
It's not moving the goalposts at all though. It is possible to say that he has had a good season this season, but also be concerned that he may not be able to repeat it. I'm really not sure what people struggle to understand about that. If he'd scored his goals at a 'normal' rate, spaced out across the season then those concerns would appear to be pretty unfounded. When he's got 10 in a 12 game period and 3 in the other 23 appearances, it wouldn't. There is definitely a chance that it was just a purple patch and not evidence of his ability to be a 15 goal striker. So no, I don't think it's irrelevant that he scored the bulk of his goals in one period.

Again, i'm happy to believe he can do it and personally I wouldn't be prioritising a striker at all, but I definitely see where people are coming from.

one CM? We need 3 and the echo it’s a load of cow dung

Don't get me wrong, I agree, but the comments about spending from Brands etc and the noise from the local journos make me think this is what we should expect - CB, CM and RW - anything more than that will be a bonus.

Don't get me wrong, I agree, but the comments about spending from Brands etc and the noise from the local journos make me think this is what we should expect - CB, CM and RW - anything more than that will be a bonus.

If that's three additions to the starting 11 then fair enough. Whether we like it or not we spent a heap on players over the past 2 years and coupled with financial loss of Covid we won't be able to play Football Manager with this squad again this Summer.

It's not moving the goalposts at all though. It is possible to say that he has had a good season this season, but also be concerned that he may not be able to repeat it. I'm really not sure what people struggle to understand about that. If he'd scored his goals at a 'normal' rate, spaced out across the season then those concerns would appear to be pretty unfounded. When he's got 10 in a 12 game period and 3 in the other 23 appearances, it wouldn't. There is definitely a chance that it was just a purple patch and not evidence of his ability to be a 15 goal striker. So no, I don't think it's irrelevant that he scored the bulk of his goals in one period.

Again, i'm happy to believe he can do it and personally I wouldn't be prioritising a striker at all, but I definitely see where people are coming from.

Well in the first instance there is goalpost moving, where people initially said he would never get double figures. That has been been disproven, so the debate changes. No doubt if he scores 15 next season, it can be "well he can't repeat it 3 seasons" and it can become never ending.

I'd also say, what drives it is this idea that his distribution of goals is not normal. However strikers doing score at 1 in every 2.5 games or whatever. Very few stirkers do this, they all tend to go on bursts of goals and then spells where they don't finish. Even Lukaku did this. This season Vardy has had a run of 1 goal in about 12 games. It's what strikers do. If thats the criteria for Calvert Lewin, then next season he will fail again, as with msot strikers as most score in patches.

I'm not sure what anybody is basing him not scoring the same number of goals on. I mean he is still young and getting better,he will probably have a better midfield behind him, and be playing for an entire season under a better manager. He will be well rested (where he looks exhausted now). He also misses lots of chances, so even a small increase in being clinical will probably see him score more.

Defo don’t need a striker. This is the 1st time in ages that I’ve felt like we have an embarrassment of riches upfront.
If Richarlison got injured we’re sunk.
I think we could do with a right winger / forward to use similar to the way Richarlison played wide left at Sheffield, but also plays CF.

Well in the first instance there is goalpost moving, where people initially said he would never get double figures. That has been been disproven, so the debate changes. No doubt if he scores 15 next season, it can be "well he can't repeat it 3 seasons" and it can become never ending.

I'd also say, what drives it is this idea that his distribution of goals is not normal. However strikers doing score at 1 in every 2.5 games or whatever. Very few stirkers do this, they all tend to go on bursts of goals and then spells where they don't finish. Even Lukaku did this. This season Vardy has had a run of 1 goal in about 12 games. It's what strikers do. If thats the criteria for Calvert Lewin, then next season he will fail again, as with msot strikers as most score in patches.

I'm not sure what anybody is basing him not scoring the same number of goals on. I mean he is still young and getting better,he will probably have a better midfield behind him, and be playing for an entire season under a better manager. He will be well rested (where he looks exhausted now). He also misses lots of chances, so even a small increase in being clinical will probably see him score more.
You appear to be arguing a completely different point to the one I was making. I'm not sure if you're just not understanding it or if you're just looking to create a debate where there isn't one. It's pretty simple really, Vardy and Lukaku - who i've actually already used to highlight this exact point - have evidenced their ability to score goals over a long period. All strikers have droughts yes, but if they have a record of scoring 15+ goals over a number of seasons then you can be confident that they will continue to do so. The blindingly simple point being made is that DCL doesn't have that record. He has the record of an 8 goal a season striker for all but 12 games of his career. There is therefore a perfectly legitimate concern that the 12 game period was a purple patch which won't be repeated. For the avoidance of doubt, i'll say for the 748th time that i'm not saying he can't be a 15 goal a season striker, or that we need to replace him. I'm just saying making out like people are being unfair for wondering whether he's genuinely turned a corner or just had a good run is a bit weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.