Everton - The Unsung Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan Whittle. Never really mentioned too much in respect of our 69/70 title win with far more illustrious names in the team but he came in relatively late that season and perked us up before we started to slip , making 15 appearances and scoring 11 goals.

....good one, perhaps it was a matter of an in-form youngster coming in at exactly the right time. That was a fabulous team and Whittle played a key role in securing that title.

5F584B7A-D46F-4391-BE7F-264E7FF1BD56.jpeg

....got to mention T G Jones.

Career interrupted by WW2, I get the impression this fella was a very classy footballer and aptly named ‘The Prince of Centre Halves’.

i never knew (until reading up) that he was the subject of a then massive bid from AS Roma but the move didn’t happen because of difficulties with exchange rates.

....to be fair, Cottee was part of that transition from us being very good. Sharp had a number of partners in Gray, Heath and Lineker and for me Cottee was never in that category.

I got the impression he wasn’t very popular with those that had been members of our successful era, but he had tough acts to follow and was never a favourite of mine.

yeah, i feel he was the right player at the wrong time. would've been a useful poacher in a Moyes team with enough distance to the 80's era. we only had that one season of Yak scoring for fun, otherwise the Moyes-era sorely missed a regular goalscorer up front.

Everton modern day legend , hate the critics of him this season, playing in probably the worst back 4 of his time with us and he gets most of the stick. £60k signing, you couldn’t buy an acadamey player from the vanarama north for that these days. A consistent performer who will be missed once he’s gone

Attachments

• 358F57B4-6692-473F-8B21-F57ADC25F9A7.jpeg
    358F57B4-6692-473F-8B21-F57ADC25F9A7.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 70
Everton modern day legend , hate the critics of him this season, playing in probably the worst back 4 of his time with us and he gets most of the stick. £60k signing, you couldn’t buy an acadamey player from the vanarama north for that these days. A consistent performer who will be missed once he’s gone

....and a terrific ambassador for the club, everybody talks so highly of him.

....to be fair, Cottee was part of that transition from us being very good. Sharp had a number of partners in Gray, Heath and Lineker and for me Cottee was never in that category.

I got the impression he wasn’t very popular with those that had been members of our successful era, but he had tough acts to follow and was never a favourite of mine.

Always had a soft spot for Cottee seeing as he scored the first goal I seen at Goodison (in a game where i seem to remember Ray Atteveld at right back), but yeah he was never going to go down in history with Evertonians coming after that lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.