Everton - The Unsung Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always had a soft spot for Cottee seeing as he scored the first goal I seen at Goodison (in a game where i seem to remember Ray Atteveld at right back), but yeah he was never going to go down in history with Evertonians coming after that lot.

....very understandable, I think a lot of Cottee fans are in that era of him being a big signing when they first started watching the Blues.

We’ve been crap for decades, by that attitude players like Lukaku, Kanchelskis, Arteta etc were crap too

Ok mate.

He was here 3 years. We had half a good season in Koemans 1st year (when Gueye was in Africa) and half a good season last season under Silva. Less said about the middle season the better.

Besides, the post is about unsung players. Ganas limited contribution to 3 woeful sides was built up to be anything but, and if you believe some people, he was supposedly our best, most important player in virtually every game he played, and as pointed out in this thread as well as many others, the constant reminder of how much we miss his defensive efforts, efforts that didn't really help us when he was here for the most part, means listing Gana as an unsung hero is as pointless as trying to suggest Lukaku, Kanchelskis or Arteta were "crap" as well to prove a point.

They werent, and he's not.

Ok mate.

He was here 3 years. We had half a good season in Koemans 1st year (when Gueye was in Africa) and half a good season last season under Silva. Less said about the middle season the better.

Besides, the post is about unsung players. Ganas limited contribution to 3 woeful sides was built up to be anything but, and if you believe some people, he was supposedly our best, most important player in virtually every game he played, and as pointed out in this thread as well as many others, the constant reminder of how much we miss his defensive efforts, efforts that didn't really help us when he was here for the most part, means listing Gana as an unsung hero is as pointless as trying to suggest Lukaku, Kanchelskis or Arteta were "crap" as well to prove a point.

Ok so the general consensus among fans is that he was a really good player for us but you don’t believe he was. All I need to know thanks.

Andy King, not just for that memorable derby goal, but for a midfielder he had a cracking 1 in 4 ratio throughout both his spells here, the first being the most memorable. That midfield and frontline of the late seventies had a goal threat to be reckoned with.

Great shout Eggs mate,my old man watched them all through the "fitful"fifties and he loved Parker,alongside Hickson,Eglington,Clinton,O'Neill,Jones etc,apparently you could name the team every week,it never changed,transfers?what were they?!!!
You are bang on their Dario, the squad that got relegated in 1951, was exactly the same squad that brought them back up three years later, some players left but no players were bought that replaced them.O’Neill, Moore, Lindsay, who broke his leg near the end of the promotion season, Farrell, TE Jones, Lello, Wainwright, Buckle, Hickson, Fielding, Parker, Eglington, Lewis, Donavon, plus one or two more.

I knew someone would say Gueye. If anything, he is the absolute antithesis of this entire post. More like the most over hyped player based on his actual contributions.

Unsung means often overlooked, under appreciated, not as fondly remembered as they should be. Christ, Duncan Ferguson is more unsung than Gueye if you listen to a lot of people.

For me, I would go with Don Hutchison. 1 of our best players in a time not remembered fondly by most, and left under bad terms. But he was a great player, a captain, and would walk into the current side.

I had the pleasure of meeting the Don on a night out in Mathew St when he played for us.

He was a top lad and an absolute loon.

You could almost see the ale vapours coming off him in the first ten minutes of the game !

David Unsworth. An excellent young centre-back. Went away and came back. I think he had some injuries because he turned into a bit of a fat donkey of a left-back, but gave us good service and he had a brilliant penalty record.

Ok mate.

Ok so the general consensus among fans is that he was a really good player for us but you don’t believe he was. All I need to know thanks.
Lads

Status
Not open for further replies.