Everton - The Unsung Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred Pickering, 70 goals In just 115 games but barely gets a mention when people talk about Everton strikers. I appreciate he played at a time when we had Vernon, Young and Royle, but he still deserves more mention than he gets!

....absolutely, an amazing record. Also, 5 goals in just 3 games for England.

i think Mike Trebilcock coming in for the 1966 FA Cup Final masks how good Fred Pickering was for us.

There are players in our history who might not be widely known but who made a significant contribution to our club. I think it would be fitting to highlight them in their own thread.

I’m nominating John-Willie Parker. He’s not a player I was particularly aware of and certainly not one I ever saw. Dave Hickson was a modest man, not comfortable recalling his playing days but his eyes would open widely and his voice raise with enthusiasm when he told me about John-Willie Parker - “what a player” Dave told me on a number of occasions.

Parker was our leading scorer for 4 straight seasons, playing alongside the higher profile Hickson. He scored 82 goals in 167 games, including 31 in our vital 53/54 promotion season.

View attachment 83749

John-Willie Parker, forever one of ours.
Great shout Eggs mate,my old man watched them all through the "fitful"fifties and he loved Parker,alongside Hickson,Eglington,Clinton,O'Neill,Jones etc,apparently you could name the team every week,it never changed,transfers?what were they?!!!

....I’ll also give a mention to Pat van den Hauwe. It’s such a pity he’s got the ‘phsycho’ tag because it disguises what a fantastic player he was for us. He was such a classy defender with a Rolls Royce engine, also comfortable in the attacking third at LB.

Genuinely two-footed, he played almost an entire Championship winning season playing CB, fittingly securing the trophy with a goal at Norwich. Top player.

View attachment 83752
At the time, I was upset by him replacing John Bailey. I thought Bailey was the better footballer (still do). But it’s hard to argue with the results and in watching some games again recently what’s struck me is how much Pat made sure we weren’t bullied out of games. Against teams that wanted to play football we would play football. Against thugs we’d make them regret their career choices.

At the time, I was upset by him replacing John Bailey. I thought Bailey was the better footballer (still do). But it’s hard to argue with the results and in watching some games again recently what’s struck me is how much Pat made sure we weren’t bullied out of games. Against teams that wanted to play football we would play football. Against thugs we’d make them regret their career choices.

...I think it’s lots to do with being ‘effective’, and van den Hauwe was extremely effective. I think Baines is a little maestro but I’ve only seen one better LB at Everton than van den Hauwe and that was Ray Wilson.

I rate van den Hauwe very highly.

...it’s a great shout, I saw him plenty but never fully appreciated how good he was.
It's only looking back at the old picture segments and seeing Sandy there in the early sixties that you realise how much an integral part of the team he was.
Another classic case of "you don't know what had until it's gone"

Tony Cottee, our best goals-per-game ratio in the 40 years between Latchford and Rom (discounting Lineker's single season).

Tony Hibbert. Sure, he's a sung cult hero here, but in the wider fanbase i feel he's genuinely under-appreciated. His game was consistent and reliable.

...it’s all about opinion, but neither would be on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.