Everton - The Unsung Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...it’s all about opinion, but neither would be on my list.

you have to concede the fact of the goals-per-game stats, while also admitting Cottee is very much unsung. There's an objective argument there. There's not many things more important than scoring goals in football.

I feel he's our most under-appreciated player of the post-87 era.

Hibbert was a championship player. Made a very good living out of being very average.

i watched pretty much all our games during the Moyes era, and Hibbert did the job expected of him almost everytime. Expected meaning we were never expecting him to go bombing down the flank exchanging cute passes with the winger, expected meaning he would stress the opposition flank-attackers, get in the way and get rid.

That's a modest but valuable quality, very under-appreciated. And when Seamus came good, Hibbert was a fine back-up.

you have to concede the fact of the goals-per-game stats, while also admitting Cottee is very much unsung. There's an objective argument there. There's not many things more important than scoring goals in football.

I feel he's our most under-appreciated player of the post-87 era.

....to be fair, Cottee was part of that transition from us being very good. Sharp had a number of partners in Gray, Heath and Lineker and for me Cottee was never in that category.

I got the impression he wasn’t very popular with those that had been members of our successful era, but he had tough acts to follow and was never a favourite of mine.

I thought Stuart and Rideout were excellent for us during Royle's tenure. IIRC (could be wrong here) had similar goalscoring records to Ferguson who was the hero at the time. Came up with a lot of important goals for us and the 2 of them combined for the decisive goal in the 95 semi final and then the final.

Joe Parkinson , thought he did a brilliant job especially in that cup run . The performances in the semi final and final again spurs and United were worthy of his getting a mention in this thread . Also as time went on basically ended his career early by playing again and with injuries to help save the club when he clearly shouldn’t have .
Barry Horne.
They were the two main components of our 'Dogs of War' moniker, so can't be thought of as 'unsung'.
Was just looking back on that Cup Final line-up yesterday: 4 centre backs, 2 workhorses in midfield plus Hinchcliffe, Rideout up front. No wonder we bullied Utd!

i watched pretty much all our games during the Moyes era, and Hibbert did the job expected of him almost everytime. Expected meaning we were never expecting him to go bombing down the flank exchanging cute passes with the winger, expected meaning he would stress the opposition flank-attackers, get in the way and get rid.

That's a modest but valuable quality, very under-appreciated. And when Seamus came good, Hibbert was a fine back-up.
I know what you're saying but here in lay the problem of lot of the Moyes era players...No ambition,just average and just doing enough. Suppose it's not his fault,but don't think he's unsung. He got paid handsomely for being incredibly average and now spends his days in Northern France tending to his fishing lakes. I for one won't be clapping him out my window at 7 o'clock tonight.

...I think it’s lots to do with being ‘effective’, and van den Hauwe was extremely effective. I think Baines is a little maestro but I’ve only seen one better LB at Everton than van den Hauwe and that was Ray Wilson.

I rate van den Hauwe very highly.
I never saw Ray Wilson,so Van den Hauwe would definitely be my first choice from what I have seen.

Alan Whittle. Never really mentioned too much in respect of our 69/70 title win with far more illustrious names in the team but he came in relatively late that season and perked us up before we started to slip , making 15 appearances and scoring 11 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.