Everton - The Unsung Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a player but deserving of a mention, the older Lady who does the stadium tours. An encyclopaedic knowledge of all things Toffee and no better person to do justice to the club we are lucky to have ;)

View attachment 83764

....got to mention T G Jones.

Career interrupted by WW2, I get the impression this fella was a very classy footballer and aptly named ‘The Prince of Centre Halves’.

i never knew (until reading up) that he was the subject of a then massive bid from AS Roma but the move didn’t happen because of difficulties with exchange rates.
There was no way, ever Eggs, that the wonderful T G Jones was an unsung star, he was rated and praised by nearly everyone who saw him, played with him and those who played against him, I only saw him through the eyes of a seven and eight year old boy but have never forgotten him, a player who saw everything happen before him ten seconds ahead of everyone around him. Eggs you are absolutely right to mention T G Jones and I’m glad you did, but not as an unsung star.

There was no way, ever Eggs, that the wonderful T G Jones was an unsung star, he was rated and praised by nearly everyone who saw him, played with him and those who played against him, I only saw him through the eyes of a seven and eight year old boy but have never forgotten him, a player who saw everything happen before him ten seconds ahead of everyone around him. Eggs you are absolutely right to mention T G Jones and I’m glad you did, but not as an unsung star.

....I love an insight like that because it becomes real. I read he had a falling out with our manager, so played in the Welsh League. Imagine that happening today.

I have it in my mind that he was a good size and fast. It was a time when defenders needed to be tough, but I doubt he needed that as he was just very classy?

I knew someone would say Gueye. If anything, he is the absolute antithesis of this entire post. More like the most over hyped player based on his actual contributions.

Unsung means often overlooked, under appreciated, not as fondly remembered as they should be. Christ, Duncan Ferguson is more unsung than Gueye if you listen to a lot of people.

For me, I would go with Don Hutchison. 1 of our best players in a time not remembered fondly by most, and left under bad terms. But he was a great player, a captain, and would walk into the current side.

Was really annoyed when Hutch left, he was a decent player. As i remember he wanted 20k a week, Walter (i think?) refused and then signed an obviously not arsed and over the hill player on...... 20k a week.

Should have it's own thread, most disliked Everton player.

M. HUGHES.

Status
Not open for further replies.