Europa league swerve or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact we would have to potentially face TNS in the Europa is hilarious.

Due to the change in format next year of the champions league, every eliminated team will drop into Europa qualifiers. That means we’d have to play 6 games (or 3 rounds) before reaching the group.

lol

Send the u23s out.

Wow, I didn’t know about that! As if there isn’t enough dross in the Europa league already, they are adding this nonsense. Just looked up the qualifications and England is ranked 3rd out of all the countries get 3 places. The Faroe Islsnds are ranked 51st and also get 3 places.

Overall UEFA expect 215 teams from 55 countries to take part in the Europa league next season. :Blink:

For me they should divide the 55 nations into two separate competitions. Or at least make it so the top 10 nations are in the group stage and don’t have to qualify

Swerve or not.No offence intended to the op here, but dear god don't we want to win anything?Success in Europe is something i see as very important.Football is all about winning trophies, or at least trying to win trophies.So i don't really agree, with this we need to swerve the Europa League talk.I want to see Everton competing in as many competitions, and going as far in them as possible.

Would we have earned any points from the games this year to go towards our coefficient?

Maybe in a higher pot for the draws if so.

Would we have earned any points from the games this year to go towards our coefficient?

Maybe in a higher pot for the draws if so.

You tell me.

Current ranking and calculation method[edit]
On 20 May 2008, UEFA announced changes to the coefficient ranking system.[6][7][8] The ranking will continue to be calculated every second year in November, but under the new system, teams now gain ranking points for each game played in the most recently completed full cycle (defined as all qualifying games and final tournament games) of both the World Cup and European Championship, with addition of ranking points for each game played at the latest completed half cycle (defined as all games played in the latest qualifying round). Ranking points for all games played inside those two and a half cycles, will be awarded according to the rules listed below.

1. 10,000 points are awarded for each match played, regardless of the match result.
  2. Each team earns an additional 30,000 for winning and 10,000 for drawing.
  3. In case of a game decided by penalty shoot-out, the points are allocated as a draw, with the winner of the shoot-out gaining an additional 10,000 points.
  4. Each match at the final tournament, or play-offs to determine qualification, are also granted bonus points, ranging from 6,000 points for all play-offs or World Cup group stage games, to 38,000 points for playing a final.
  5. 501 points are earned for each goal scored, and -500 are given for each goal conceded.
  6. Coefficients are calculated for each two and a half cycle, by dividing the sum of earned points with the number of games played.
  7. When calculating the overall average coefficient for the cycles, the latest full cycle and half cycle will each have double the weight, compared to the oldest full cycle.
  8. Special arrangements are in place for those nations that did not participate in one of the previous qualifying tournaments due to hosting the competition.
giphy.gif

Wow, I didn’t know about that! As if there isn’t enough dross in the Europa league already, they are adding this nonsense. Just looked up the qualifications and England is ranked 3rd out of all the countries get 3 places. The Faroe Islsnds are ranked 51st and also get 3 places.

Overall UEFA expect 215 teams from 55 countries to take part in the Europa league next season. :Blink:

For me they should divide the 55 nations into two separate competitions. Or at least make it so the top 10 nations are in the group stage and don’t have to qualify

The reality that we could end up facing the likes of Glentoran/Lincoln Red Imps/TNS, and it’s not actually beyond the realms of possibility, or even the likes of a nice little trip to Armenia, Georgia and Kazakhstan in July sounds just fantastic.

Liverpool got TNS, it’s guaranteed we’d up with Armenia lol

In relation to some of the well put and passionate comments I merely meant this season. Of course a little euro jaunt is excellent for fans. And yes it's been too long and any trophy will do. However I think we are absolute shambles off the pitch. Forgot to mention the ald pe teacher needs to go too. Ideally yes we should be aiming for Europa as a bare minimum every season. I just basically dont trust those off the pitch to have us organised enough to give it a proper crack.

In terms of is it a mute point. Next 3 games will tell. If we can get 7+ points we may be in business as Burnley are starting to fade

Swerve for me. Fixture pile up would not help us and we need to get our league form right first.

Im not fussed about europe for the next two seasons or so tbh. consolidatng in the top 6-8 places and more importantly a trophy, like the FA or league cup should be our priority.

Swerve for me. Fixture pile up would not help us and we need to get our league form right first.

Im not fussed about europe for the next two seasons or so tbh. consolidatng in the top 6-8 places and more importantly a trophy, like the FA or league cup should be our priority.
I get where you are coming from but I always find this an odd shout. Because "consolidating" in 6-7th MOST LIKELY gets you Europe and winning a trophy, like the FA Cup or Carling, ALSO gets you Europe.

We should be in it every season. It’s cowardly managers who Blake it for poor results. A good squad with a competent manager can make the latter stage with ease. We should be putting ourselves in the quarters most seasons and getting used to playing knock out ties each year and the pressure they bring. Maybe then we wouldn’t crap ourselves in the Derby every year.

Wonder how this result tonight might affect the FA cup place ? With Wigan now playing Southampton am i right if one of those wins, when they get to the semi final if they then reach the final it means only 6th in the league gets Europa?

Sheffield Wed. or Swansea V Rochdale or Spurs
Manchester United V Brighton
Leicester C. V Chelsea
Wigan V Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.