Europa league swerve or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to aim for Europe, I want European nights and if your in there's always a chance of winning it.
The likes of rangers, Celtic, Middlesborough and Fulham have made the final of it before, if were on a good season no reason why we can't do well in it.

what's the whole point in having a good season and trying to get as high as possible if you don't want the reward ie playing in Europe

we should be looking to play in Europe every season, the teams who don't struggle with the balance of Europe and domestic football are the teams that are in it every year so know what to expect, we should be looking to do the same.

We aren't winning any league anytime soon, we'd get bummed in the CL, so until we get a hell of a lot better then this is the way we can learn and improve, plus it's more games and some decent rewards in terms of foreign jollies for travelling blues.

As I said in the last thread on this subject - leaning towards swerve.

Europe is boss, obviously, but we need to use next season to get the house in order before we attempt another long European campaign. Put some more emphasis on the domestic competitions for once, been ages since we won a single pot.

I would wish that we always aim to qualify for European competition as continual involvement would make us a more desirable prospect to players.

Only poor teams and managers allow it to destroy their season. If you manage the games properly you can get out of the group without using that much of the first team, you normally only need to win one or two key group games. It’s used as an excuse by poor managers for their poor league form.

Will 7th be good enough for it anyway if both cups are won by top 6 clubs?

The early qualifying rounds are a drag, but I'd always say yes to Europe.

It has the potential to be another very active summer; though not necessarily on the transfer front if there are changes to manager/DOF.

The important thing is to make changes early if we are making them. Give new staff as much time as possible to get acquainted with the existing squad, and time to make 2 or 3 signings.

World cup as well, it may be very similar to Koeman's first pre-season. There may be a lot of upheaval.

..not sure if the thread relates to qualifying this season or ever. I very much doubt it’ll be achievable this season, which might be a blessing given the status of the playing squad and the likely upheaval in the summer. In hindsight I think it was a major difficulty starting this season so early with so many new acquisitions.

Going forward, Europe has to always be an aspiration.
That's a strange comment given we're only a handful of points off 7th despite playing absolute garbage all season so far.
Football clubs exist to win trophies. Why would anyone wish to dip out of a competition, especially one that puts the club name into a European context?
And why should it be a burden? Didn't BS tell us recently that our squad was too big?

IF we get 7th and Europe i would like to see a young squad take those early games. The likes of Lookman & Dowell. The group stages may be a step too far but those early qualifers i think they'd be more than good enough to win. With a world Cup in the summer we may not have a choice as half the team will be on extended leave.

I want Europe.

This year’s car crash of a season would have happened even we had not been in the Europa.

It was the summer ”spending spree” which sunk us.

Not being drawn in a group with a half decent French team, an average Italian team and a bunch of farmers.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.