Europa league swerve or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality that we could end up facing the likes of Glentoran/Lincoln Red Imps/TNS, and it’s not actually beyond the realms of possibility, or even the likes of a nice little trip to Armenia, Georgia and Kazakhstan in July sounds just fantastic.

Liverpool got TNS, it’s guaranteed we’d up with Armenia lol

When we won the Cup Winners Cup we beat, very narrowly as it happens, a university team from Dublin en route.

Wonder how this result tonight might affect the FA cup place ? With Wigan now playing Southampton am i right if one of those wins, when they get to the semi final if they then reach the final it means only 6th in the league gets Europa?

Sheffield Wed. or Swansea V Rochdale or Spurs
Manchester United V Brighton
Leicester C. V Chelsea
Wigan V Southampton

No.

The only way seventh place is made redundant is if Chelsea, Spurs or United fail to win it.

The beaten finalists do not go in the EL hat in the event of a team finishing top four win it.

Irrespective of whether we get in again or not, this new format is just an extension of UEFA's policy to want to strangle the life out of teams which have to face the qualification route we would.

Everything is geared towards the UCL and then the ridiculous policy of granting eliminated teams entry into the UEL.

The league is our bread and butter but it makes increasingly less sense to potentially have to sacrifice progress in that same league to sustain a run in a competition that our league placing would qualify us to enter in the first place.

We should enter all competition with the aim of winning or doing as best we can but in reality decisions are taken to reflect whatever is considered the priority and that usually means the PL with the prize money on offer.

Mind you none of this was relevant this year given how embarrassingly awful we were in Europe. That "campaign" was one of the most disgraceful I have seen from an Everton squad.

We'll never get better or increase our European stock unless we get into it the cup and play.

We miss out this year? Another year miles behind the rest.

I realise that we probably won't do it this year though. Also champions league teams dropping into Europa is a disgrace.

No.

The only way seventh place is made redundant is if Chelsea, Spurs or United fail to win it.

The beaten finalists do not go in the EL hat in the event of a team finishing top four win it.
I see thanks, so of 2 of those get to the final 7th is in? That hot balled QF draw has certainly kept the back door open

When we won the Cup Winners Cup we beat, very narrowly as it happens, a university team from Dublin en route.

The difference is, I think we had to play 9 games to win the cup did we not?

By the time we’re out the group, or at least at the end of it, we’ll have played 12 games.

And still nowhere near the final.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge fan of being in the Europa, had some belting and less than belting trips over the last 10 years!

Just saying a lot of games!

Can’t be any worse!

It gets interesting after the group stage a little bit but I have doubts that it's worth playing winter games in pitches worse than your grandfather's potato field. Some teams in Balkans do not care about the field they play and I don't understand how UEFA allows them in.

I very much doubt that this team will finish 7th; but even if they did, they've already shown this season that they're nowhere near good enough for that competition.

I'd sooner see this whole set up, from director of football downward, torn apart. The last thing the club needs is Walsh and Allardyce getting another summer to make the situation even worse.

I very much doubt that this team will finish 7th; but even if they did, they've already shown this season that they're nowhere near good enough for that competition.

I'd sooner see this whole set up, from director of football downward, torn apart. The last thing the club needs is Walsh and Allardyce getting another summer to make the situation even worse.

Well going along the lines that I think Sam will be here next season, in the game that he was in the studio for, he said Everton should play a weak side and just concentrate on the league. This was before we were mathematicaly out but it was looking like we were going out, so on that basis I think if we do get it he will play a poor side from the first game and disregard it.

The difference is, I think we had to play 9 games to win the cup did we not?

By the time we’re out the group, or at least at the end of it, we’ll have played 12 games.

And still nowhere near the final.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge fan of being in the Europa, had some belting and less than belting trips over the last 10 years!

Just saying a lot of games!

Can’t be any worse!

It'll be 17 games to win it, if we enter the first qualifying round.

In 84/84 we played 63 games that season

Could just assemble a decent squad and play fringe players to get through the qualifiers and the group stage like nearly every other half decent team does. If you’re in the knockouts and the CL draw has been kind you can have a great chance of going the whole way like United did. Arsenal could well do it this season. No one at Everton believes we can win anything though so before aball has kicked the excuses about fatigue etc. will be out ready to write off another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.