2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at Kane (I know, I know - just for example's sake) he's added a lot to his game in the last couple of years, at an older age than Calvert-Lewin and from a starting point where you'd have thought he was already more fully developed. And the stuff he's added to his game - a killer pass and better decision making, that ability to drop deeper and help create play, looking more complete than a classic no.9 - it didn't really look like it was there when he was 21/22, even if he was banging them in for fun and setting the league alight.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying that there's no reason to think Calvert-Lewin, who is demonstrably improving in front of our eyes, game by game, season by season, couldn't add a more productive edge to his game within the next year or two.

I still think lewen isn't ever going to be good enough.

Being the best we have doesn't qualify as a good striker

I guess the question is, what is good enough? I mean that in the context of our ability to entice or afford a striker of proven quality to unseat DCL. Nailed on goalscoring CFs are a rare breed, and most of them go for more than we're willing to pay. If you operate in the bargain bin, trying to snaffle up players who've had some success in a non-premier league context you end up with Sandro, Niasse, Tosun etc. You have the chance of throwing up a real gem too, of course, but on current form DCL is better than any of our attempts so far at a centre forward post-Lukaku

I really do t think it is tbh . Bernard and penear are very similar Lack goals but very hard working and good with the ball and have a fantastic understanding with the lb . Digne himself is like a French Baines. Coleman is literally the same person , Richy is the obvious upgrade on the right , Siggy scores goals in the same way Tim Cahill did and works just as hard , he is a lot more creative than Cahill tho obviously, carsley was immense and just as gold as Gana I’m the DM role the it’s just mikel for Gomes ... mikel for me every time but still similar styles of player. To say that Lukaku or yak wouldn’t fit in this team is wrong, if you have a goal scorer like them you play them and make the team work around them if needed.

I still dont agree with it the second time, to be honest vastly different players, different manager and different system, you are trying to say the team is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago and five years ago, i would maintain its clearly not. Sure football has changed drastically in six months never mind that long ago.

Oh if you had a Lukaku or Yak you would probably play them similar to how we play Walcott really neither yak or Lukaku dindnt have the defensive attributes to press, mobility or athleticism to be part of how we want to play now in my opinion. The team would have to play to their strengths and compensate in a pressing style as neither had that skill sets i mention and i think the manager and other players would have to compensate his philosophy as you say to play to their strengths, like i said the system would have to suit the player rather then the player suiting the system.. Personally i dont think we will try and recruit a player of Lukaku or Yaks style though for the reasons Ive mentioned a few times, i think we ill look for a player of a different style, more Andy Johnson then Yak.

Not sure we are we going to agree on this.

Last edited:
There are lots of good things about DCL's play. He's strong, fast, good in the air, holds the ball up well. The only problem is that he's not a natural goal scorer. He misses a lot of open goals that top strikers would put away without thinking about it. Sadly, it is not something you can learn or train to do. Either you have it or you don't, it is a natural skill. I had it, my problem was that I didn''t have the other advantages DCL has.lol

If you look at Kane (I know, I know - just for example's sake) he's added a lot to his game in the last couple of years, at an older age than Calvert-Lewin and from a starting point where you'd have thought he was already more fully developed. And the stuff he's added to his game - a killer pass and better decision making, that ability to drop deeper and help create play, looking more complete than a classic no.9 - it didn't really look like it was there when he was 21/22, even if he was banging them in for fun and setting the league alight.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying that there's no reason to think Calvert-Lewin, who is demonstrably improving in front of our eyes, game by game, season by season, couldn't add a more productive edge to his game within the next year or two.

Or close4 to home, look his Sharpie developed in the three years between making his debut and becoming the real deal in 84/85.....a couple of years older than Dominick is now.

There are some on here expecting him to get on the end of his own crosses, and score
If he's not scoring goals the only thing that makes him okay for me is his ability to bring other players in, which he does. The problem is that one of our wingers isn't a natural goalscorer either. It's a tough situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.