2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
But both teams were wildly different, i mean there were about 11 different player on those teams to one now, not just the strikers as are the systems to then and now. Like a few of us have been making the case for the system is moving toward looking at the front three as an attacking unit rather then a unilateral one of one primary goal scorer. The teams system also dictates the forward players being mobile and press without the ball, else wise we are loosing games 3-2 etc, i loved the Yak and i loved Rom but pressing and them were separated at birth.

I dont wholly disagree with you, we want the best goalscorer with attributes to also work the high press, i just think lads like Rom and the Yak wouldnt fit into that system and if they did play we would have to compensate else where or others players would become isolated as you have to play to their strgths and make them a their natural game the focal point in short you have to make the team fit the player rather then the player fitting the team. It would undermine the overall game plan, philosophy and system. In short we cant carry a lad up front who token runs, but will score a fair few in isolation. For me the goals need to be shared amongst a quadrant of the front three and likely Gylfi in behind. dont get me wrong with the right recruitment we can really increase our output through that quadrant.

Agree with this all day, the sum of the team needs to be better than its parts essentially.

If we look to upgrade DCL and have him serve as tutor to a elder then we need a striker capable of putting a shift in - Belotti would be the perfect signing in terms of him putting a shift in however he’s got the ability to carve up space would be nice if we brought him in with a view to developing DCL who arguably plays a different role than that of an out and out forward presently, certainly in position but he puts more onus on the work side if things which is good, but he’s seldom in the area to put the ball in the net.

If he's not scoring goals the only thing that makes him okay for me is his ability to bring other players in, which he does. The problem is that one of our wingers isn't a natural goalscorer either. It's a tough situation.

2 of our wingers/attackers are in the Top 10 for the PL golden boots this season and arguably both should be on 15+ by now.

Just watched MOTD 2 on the i player.

Had no idea about the size of him. Unless Mark Chapman, Ian Wright and Darren Fletcher are midgets.
Chappers is massive tbf. Hes standing in front of them all. Fletcher is about an inch or two shorter than DCL.

His steady improvement is encouraging. I wonder if there's room for it in the reactionary/fumey premier league.

Just watched MOTD 2 on the i player.

Had no idea about the size of him. Unless Mark Chapman, Ian Wright and Darren Fletcher are midgets.

Didn't either until I saw him standing next to Jags after the match. Not that Phil's a giant but you gotta' have a bit of meat to play CB and not get steamrolled.

Sigurdsson is like none of the players you mention though, Yak, Lukaku and Cahill ?

Possibly Lukaku would have us 10 points better off, maybe.

I know he’s nothing like Tom or yak ... yhe original point was that if we had yak or rom we would be 10 points better off. Someone replied saying that rom and yak wouldn’t fit into this team. I said that the team isn’t that different to when those players were actually here and I thought they could fit into the team and if we had one of them , that we would probably be 10 points better off. You seriously can’t deny the difference between a 20 goal a season striker and a 6 goal a season striker isn’t massive?

Status
Not open for further replies.