2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your basing your opinion on selected moments, check the stats, better conversion rate than most strikers in the league

Lol make that’s bollocks , he can’t get lots of chances , have only 6 goals and still have one of the best conversion rates in the league. Simple cannot be true, either he’s a leather finisher to have that percentage of finishing chances , yet doesn’t get many or he does get chances and struggles to convert them or the 6 pl goals he has is a lie and he’s actually on 15 goals. The saying goes “ you can use stats to prove anything” and think I have just seen a perfect example of that being used to prove something that is not true. He’s not a good finisher, you saying he is when it’s obvious he’s not , really weakens your opinion when you say things about the rest of his game

I know where you are coming from mate, Bent was immense that season and it really was a surprise when he left the following summer, DCL has similar attributes if not a bit more savy and a higher headroom to develop. Like we were talking about i think there needs to be a mental shift form an out and out forward to the concept of hybrid footballers and positions, a rotating front three during a game who are all comfortable playing a wide role and central one depending on the in game situation.

When i think of our best strikers of recent years i think of the YAk and Rom, i do however feel that neither would be a good fit for us under Silva. When i look at the side i see key attributes looked for as mobility, adaptability, athleticism and critically and engine and a desire to press. I think its pretty straight forward what we want in a striker offensively to compliment DCL, yet the defining factor will be the role they can play defensively.

The high press is critical to what we want to do, its why DCL has been effective, the constant pressure was telling in our last few games, that starts from front to back. Most strikers dont have that natural skill set, i can think of very few who are prolific and also have the high press capabilities, or need to be coached to get there. Thats why i say a Lukaku or Yak signing wouldn't work for us. To be honest i see us going for someone more in the Andy Johnson mold, quick mobile, good work rate and engine with the ability to slot. I think we can expect that type of addition up front. In actual fact someone like Sandro isnt miles of it, but i think that bridge may be burned or im being to hopeful.

One of my bug bears is that we seem absolutely inept at signing forwards, hopefully that is about to change, but we have Sandro, Niasse, Tosun still on our books, Kone, Valencia before that by a very big margin signing forwards has been by far our worst area to try and recruit, we have been terrible.

Like i say hopefully that will change.

Mate if we had yak or rom we would have about 10-15 points more than we have.

Lol make that’s bollocks , he can’t get lots of chances , have only 6 goals and still have one of the best conversion rates in the league. Simple cannot be true, either he’s a leather finisher to have that percentage of finishing chances , yet doesn’t get many or he does get chances and struggles to convert them or the 6 pl goals he has is a lie and he’s actually on 15 goals. The saying goes “ you can use stats to prove anything” and think I have just seen a perfect example of that being used to prove something that is not true. He’s not a good finisher, you saying he is when it’s obvious he’s not , really weakens your opinion when you say things about the rest of his game

He actually doesnt have many shots to be fair.

14 shots on target - Highest is Salah with 53
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/ontarget_scoring_att
29 total shots - Highest is Mitrovic with 111
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_scoring_att
And Only 4 big chances missed - Highest is Aubrabanger with 19
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_missed

thing is you may aswell have a donkey upfront who scores 15-20 goals a season than a young try hard forward that gets you 6 goals.. if you see what I mean

thing is you may aswell have a donkey upfront who scores 15-20 goals a season than a young try hard forward that gets you 6 goals.. if you see what I mean

But I think the stats above highlight that hes not missing chances. I mean look at Mitrovic there, 111 shots and 10 goals. Salah 53 shots on target, thats almost twice the total shots DCL has had. Salah is a goalscorer, hes on the pitch to score goals, for me the stats above show that DCL offers something different.

So where as Salah is the 1 receiving the flick on, DCL is the 1 providing it, 2nd phase assists.

Of course we need better digits from the boy and NO, im not even attempting to claim hes more clinical than Salah, the modern number 9 is so much more than goals, I mean if you can get yourself a man that scores goals and is involved in all phases of the game, youve hit the jackpot, Harry Kane for example, scores goals and leads the line wonderfully.

DCL is improving all the time, hes now at the stage where he can lead the line very well, he occupied 3 CBs in the game yesterday, its now about improving his digits. Of course it goes without saying we need to improve in this area, I thought he would benefit from going on loan this season and getting games, but as it happened hes got lots of game time for us and hes really kicking on for me, hes not the finished player, but its clear hes improving.

I mean when he first got games for us I was utterly stunned in what anybody saw in him, all our managers have given him a chance, nobody more than Silva of course, but at least now we can all see what he offers. Clearly not loads of goals, but hes not a million miles away from being a VERY good Striker.

But I think the stats above highlight that hes not missing chances. I mean look at Mitrovic there, 111 shots and 10 goals. Salah 53 shots on target, thats almost twice the total shots DCL has had. Salah is a goalscorer, hes on the pitch to score goals, for me the stats above show that DCL offers something different.

So where as Salah is the 1 receiving the flick on, DCL is the 1 providing it, 2nd phase assists.

Of course we need better digits from the boy and NO, im not even attempting to claim hes more clinical than Salah, the modern number 9 is so much more than goals, I mean if you can get yourself a man that scores goals and is involved in all phases of the game, youve hit the jackpot, Harry Kane for example, scores goals and leads the line wonderfully.

DCL is improving all the time, hes now at the stage where he can lead the line very well, he occupied 3 CBs in the game yesterday, its now about improving his digits. Of course it goes without saying we need to improve in this area, I thought he would benefit from going on loan this season and getting games, but as it happened hes got lots of game time for us and hes really kicking on for me, hes not the finished player, but its clear hes improving.

I mean when he first got games for us I was utterly stunned in what anybody saw in him, all our managers have given him a chance, nobody more than Silva of course, but at least now we can all see what he offers. Clearly not loads of goals, but hes not a million miles away from being a VERY good Striker.

The other factor people seem to forget is that he's only played 16 games worth of minutes. 6 in 16 ends up being 14 over a season. If he's scoring 14, and Rico and Gylfi are doing their thing, we won't be short of goals.

Personally I like that we are getting goals from multiple players. I thought we relied far too much on Rom and were often toothless because of it.

The other factor people seem to forget is that he's only played 16 games worth of minutes. 6 in 16 ends up being 14 over a season. If he's scoring 14, and Rico and Gylfi are doing their thing, we won't be short of goals.

Personally I like that we are getting goals from multiple players. I thought we relied far too much on Rom and were often toothless because of it.

Its a goal every 238 minute or 2.6 games per goal, they are defo at the lower end of the scale.

To unfairly compare :

Aguerooooooooooooooooooooooo 104minutes per goal
Salah 157minutes per goal
Lukaku 154 minutes per goal
Kane 142 minutes per goal

But then nobody is saying hes an elite Striker, yet or if he ever will be, interestingly, to compare to the laughable shouts we have had to replace him with :

Callum Wilson 190 minutes per goal
Mitrovic 283 minutes per goal
Rondon 239 minutes per goal

So when players like Callum Wilson have a "price tag" of 40m, despite only scoring more than 10 goals in a season ONCE and crappers like Mitrovic cost 30m, DCL isnt a million miles away really.

Not really, I am merely saying that DCL having a 1:6 on target strike ratio does not make him automatically a bad striker and neither does the fact that Aguero has a 1:5 ratio mean that by extension DCL is nearly as good as Aguero. DCL didn’t score yesterday so his goal stats will not have improved yet he was deservedly MOTM. He does need to add goals to his game but he is improving almost week by week at the moment and I would like to see him being given plenty of game time next season even with the addition of another striker. I don’t want us to sign two strikers as that would probably stall his development at a critical stage of his career.
he had a perfectly good goal ruled out v Spurs at home , and has played on the wing out of position so work that into your stats.........

That makes him a good finisher?

So we have a striker that either doesn’t shoot or doesn’t even get in shooting positions?

Status
Not open for further replies.