Match Thread Bournemouth vs Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still gutted we couldn't see it out. Jinxed it when I commented on "being ahead at Bournemouth. They were there for the taking today, probably the worst performance they've put in against us down there.
Thought we played some decent stuff at times, also thought we switched off a bit too often, but at least we're still unbeaten.
Considering it's still virtually last seasons team on the pitch, I can defo see improvement.
We need to toughen up though, still a fragile mentality with a few, hopefully the new faces to be introduced very soon.

The positive is we havent given up a goal from the run of play in multiple games. All of the goals conceded are penalties, free kicks, and corner kicks. If we could learn to defend set-pieces these would be easy wins to see out.
Two words Zonal Marking, I could put a third word between those two words but it would be censored. Zonal is not the way to go.

..but neither does man-to-man in the modern game. Players inevitably get blocked off and leave attackers free. There’s no ideal. As i’ve said, it’s not zonal marking that’s a problem, it’s players failing to zonal mark.
Cant agree Eggs players are almost static in a zonal system , any player having a run on them like Laporte today has too big an advantage.
As I said its cost Liverpool in many games.

Aside from that I was always brought up with your full backs on the posts , if we had that today Ake doesnt score.
Really suicide defending.

I hope it will get better, but why Baines or Jagielka are anywhere near the team still is ridiculous. Cost us 4 points in 2 away games, we've become like a retirement home for once decent defenders. I can only hope we get better, but as long as we still have the dead weight, we'll never move forwards.
I think considering we have signed international defenders that come the second half of the season we will have them rather than jags and baines in there. Absolutely no way we signed digne to sit on the bench, same as mina.

The issue in the summer was the wholesale change couldn't be too big. We needed to keep players like jags and baines in there either way to ease from one regime to another. We have let a lot of players go and next summer probably another load as well.

Just keep faith, we have 5 brand new players to come in and improve the first team. August was just too soon for them to throw them straight in, at least the defensive issues are carried by the same faces and not the new ones. Imagine if mina and zouma were at the back and conceded 2 like that?

What a strange game that was.
On one hand we went 0-2 up with ten men when last season we would probably have given up and tried to not lose by more than 3, but on the other hand we gave up a two goal lead with 15 mins to go.
I do hope Keane is O.K. as he didn't look to good on the stretcher. It's a shame for him as he was having a decent game and had managed to get on the score sheet again.
We will be a better side when the rest of the new signings are incorporated and it looks like Bernard will get game time now with Richarlison being out.
Definitely a better spirit amongst the squad compared to last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.