Arteta to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, you're reading from the same hymn book as me. Of course there is nothing wrong with the West Lancs and North Merseyside regions. But they're not traditionally the main recruiting point for Everton. In fact, these places have a majority of Liverpool and Man United supporters anyway. If anyone can be bothered taking a lokk at a map they'll see that apart from Knowsley, everything to the east is not linked culturally to Liverpool.

Culturally, Everton is Liverpool city. That's its identity, and that social identity probably pays more of an important role in binding the fans than anything seen on the pitch, even if it is a newly clipped pitch in a shiny, plastic stadium in Kirkby. Once that identity begins to erode, when the old lads no longer go to the game, when their kids can't be arsed travelling out to Kirkby, the dynamic of the club changes considerably. Everton needs to be in the middle, with core fans to the north, south, east and west.

If Everton moves to Kirkby, the club loses all touch with its roots and history. I'll give it 10 years before the transition from Liverpool club to West Lancs club is complete.

We're dooooooooomed! lol

Good post, mate -- and that's the way I see it.

(n)

Glad you two turned the attention away from wanting to sell Arteta to our most hated enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.