Arteta to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found it strange you dont rate Arteta mate, hes the best player we have in our squad by a mile.

Mikel, it's not that I don't rate Mikel Arteta and the only way I can explain it is by saying -- I really rate (I know he has no EFC connection) Andrey Arshavin(sp).
Also, I disagree with your 'hes the best player we have in our squad by a mile'.

For me, our best player (currently) is Phil Jagielka.

Fair do's, JL -- I respect your opinion.

Would Andrei Kanchelskis(sp) figure in your reckoning.

Kanchelskis was an amazing player and EASILY my favourite player since Steven, until The Spanish Artist came along.

I rate Arteta as THE best player outside the top4 in England, better than Young, Modric and any prima donna that City have signed

Mikel, it's not that I don't rate Mikel Arteta and the only way I can explain it is by saying -- I really rate (I know he has no EFC connection) Andrey Arshavin(sp).
Also, I disagree with your 'hes the best player we have in our squad by a mile'.

For me, our best player (currently) is Phil Jagielka.

Fair do mate. I rate Arshavin as well. Hes a class act.

Jagielka is also a class player, but for me, Arteta is our heartbeat.

Kanchelskis was an amazing player and EASILY my favourite player since Steven, until The Spanish Artist came along.

I rate Arteta as THE best player outside the top4 in England, better than Young, Modric and any prima donna that City have signed

And because, like you, so many blues hold Mikel in such high esteem -- the unthinkable sale across the park should cause a revolution.

Fair do mate. I rate Arshavin as well. Hes a class act.

Jagielka is also a class player, but for me, Arteta is our heartbeat.

Arteta is our heartbeat

D'yer know what (I've never thought about that before), you could be 100% correct with that statement.

Alright Nebbs'.

Kidda', I just don't get it -- being accused of perpetrating a 'paranoid internet rumour' is just plain daft.

The 'real thing' to note is, Everton Football Club's beating heart is it's fanbase. Good, intelligent Evertonians don't go flying off the handle if they hear something that might not be to their taste. They read or listen, digest, and if they're able, talk sensibly about the issue.

To be perfectly honest with you Nebb' -- I would find it more critical a situation if (say) 15,000 match going blueboys stopped going the match because our new home is in Kirkby, than the sale of Mikel Arteta. IF Arteta was sold to the 'other shower' then that takes the sale up a notch or two. But, players are always replaceable -- is your home.

Les, it always strikes me as odd when players are given the same mindset as supporters. Make no mistake, with the exception of perhaps 0.5% of players, they're all in it for money and the pursuit of excellence; that is, playing for huge salaries and for the best possible team. Arteta is no more an Evertonian than Lescott. If he should move on, even to the dark side, then so be it. All it would do to me is make question how Moyesie will spend the fee we receive.

And yeah, the most critical situation is off the field at the moment. If 10-15,000 people stop going to the game, and when the club loses its grip on Liverpool and the Wirral as a recruiting point for fans, then we really are in trouble, mate.

Les, it always strikes me as odd when players are given the same mindset as supporters. Make no mistake, with the exception of perhaps 0.5% of players, they're all in it for money and the pursuit of excellence; that is, playing for huge salaries and for the best possible team. Arteta is no more an Evertonian than Lescott. If he should move on, even to the dark side, then so be it. All it would do to me is make question how Moyesie will spend the fee we receive.

And yeah, the most critical situation is off the field at the moment. If 10-15,000 people stop going to the game, and when the club loses its grip on Liverpool and the Wirral as a recruiting point for fans, then we really are in trouble, mate.

Fantastic stuff, Nebb' -- I totally hear what you're saying.

If I repeat something of yours, forgive me.

As we are all sadly aware of, even Evertonians can turn their backs on us. Off the top of my head, how many Evertonians currenly play for us -- Baines ? Hibbert, Jagielka ? Osman ? Rodwell ? Vaughan ? Anichebe ?

That a possible 7, and I'm not really sure of any of those 7 being born blueboys. Now, just for arguments sake, say Jack Rodwell was wanted by Man.U., and he is a bona-fide Evertonian, would he stay with us or defect ? It's sad but I could see him strutting his stuff with Devil Child Rooney before anyone could drop a rattle.

Everton Football Club not only have the problem of not having mega-money -- EFC don't pay mega salaries (I'm not saying we should - but it is a 'thinker'). So, when Chelsea, Man U., Man City, and the RS come knocking -- knees begin to wobble and we don't have much in the way of bargaining power (other than putting players on long contracts -- which, in all honesty, means nowt').

I know this may come across as grim reading but I do feel they are the facts.

You are dead right, (just for names sake) Lescott & Arteta were not brought-up as Evertonians. Yes, they may say very nice things about our club but (as we are all aware) it seems with the vast majority of modern players that much will always want more -- loyalty is as hard to find as honesty.

Now, I don't know if this is more important than I've already typed -- you are spot-on -- when the club loses its grip on Liverpool and the Wirral as a recruiting point for fans

I think the move to Kirkby will lose the EFC grip on the (inner districts) city of Liverpool & the Wirral. Surely, kind of logically, (say) 12-15 years from now, the average attendance in the Kirkby Bowl could well be 40% Liverpool people, 20% Wirralites, and 40% new bloods who live in Ashton-in-Makerfield, or/and Winstanley, or/and Tyldsley, or/and Woolston.

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these places but -- when the Kirkby attendance begin a chant of 'On the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey' -- for me, it's gonna' sound rather wierd & not quite right.

Or maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
I think the move to Kirkby will lose the EFC grip on the (inner districts) city of Liverpool & the Wirral. Surely, kind of logically, (say) 12-15 years from now, the average attendance in the Kirkby Bowl could well be 40% Liverpool people, 20% Wirralites, and 40% new bloods who live in Ashton-in-Makerfield, or/and Winstanley, or/and Tyldsley, or/and Woolston.

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these places but -- when the Kirkby attendance begin a chant of 'On the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey' -- for me, it's gonna' sound rather wierd & not quite right.

Or maybe that's just me.

Mate, you're reading from the same hymn book as me. Of course there is nothing wrong with the West Lancs and North Merseyside regions. But they're not traditionally the main recruiting point for Everton. In fact, these places have a majority of Liverpool and Man United supporters anyway. If anyone can be bothered taking a lokk at a map they'll see that apart from Knowsley, everything to the east is not linked culturally to Liverpool.

Culturally, Everton is Liverpool city. That's its identity, and that social identity probably pays more of an important role in binding the fans than anything seen on the pitch, even if it is a newly clipped pitch in a shiny, plastic stadium in Kirkby. Once that identity begins to erode, when the old lads no longer go to the game, when their kids can't be arsed travelling out to Kirkby, the dynamic of the club changes considerably. Everton needs to be in the middle, with core fans to the north, south, east and west.

If Everton moves to Kirkby, the club loses all touch with its roots and history. I'll give it 10 years before the transition from Liverpool club to West Lancs club is complete.

We're dooooooooomed! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.