2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Class at bringing the ball down on his chest, class at winning balls in the air, class at pushing people over. That was it. Actually controlling a midfield and making clever use of possession (which is what top midfielders should do) he was woeful at it which is why Moyes shoved him up behind the striker, and then Van Gaal did it, and then Mourinho, and then Martinez for Belgium.

I’m not saying he’s not effective (he was, and is) but he is not the type of central midfielder a top side needs to dictate a game. We haven’t had one of the required quality since Arteta but now we do in Gomes. Long may Gomes Digne Bernard be the profile of technical player we go for rather than the yard dogs we’ve had in there who can barely make a pass.

I don't want to turn this into a Fellaini chat, but his job wasn't to control a midfield, he imposed himself on defences and frightened the bejeezus out of centre halves.That's what we celebrated him for. It's like saying Cahill wasn't a good shot-stopper

Where are the folks who said he's not worth the money?

Replace Dembele who’s played about 3 games all season?
Who up until this season was a regular in their team. They haven’t signed anyone in their last two windows, Wanyama seems injury prone. They will invest in their midfield this summer, if not Gomes someone else.

Class at bringing the ball down on his chest, class at winning balls in the air, class at pushing people over. That was it. Actually controlling a midfield and making clever use of possession (which is what top midfielders should do) he was woeful at it which is why Moyes shoved him up behind the striker, and then Van Gaal did it, and then Mourinho, and then Martinez for Belgium.

I’m not saying he’s not effective (he was, and is) but he is not the type of central midfielder a top side needs to dictate a game. We haven’t had one of the required quality since Arteta but now we do in Gomes. Long may Gomes Digne Bernard be the profile of technical player we go for rather than the yard dogs we’ve had in there who can barely make a pass.
How many times my good friend SD are you going to say the same thing, in the face of credible reasoning to the alternative.

SOME midfielders are given the responsibility of controlling a midfield. Some are given the role of knitting play together, arriving late in the box, staying high as an almost second striker.... The list of midfielder types is long.

Yet you continue to throw every midfielder into "does he control the game?" and use it as the barometer of quality.

Frank Lampard was fantastic. Didn't control a single game in his career.

See also,

Ozil
Vidal
Casemiro
Alli
Isco
Rodriguez
Vieira - box to box, stopping play and counter attacking. Gilberto next to him controlled the tempo of the midfield

How many times my good friend SD are you going to say the same thing, in the face of credible reasoning to the alternative.

SOME midfielders are given the responsibility of controlling a midfield. Some are given the role of knitting play together, arriving late in the box, staying high as an almost second striker.... The list of midfielder types is long.

Yet you continue to throw every midfielder into "does he control the game?" and use it as the barometer of quality.

Frank Lampard was fantastic. Didn't control a single game in his career.

See also,

Ozil
Vidal
Casemiro
Alli
Isco
Rodriguez
Vieira - box to box, stopping play and counter attacking. Gilberto next to him controlled the tempo of the midfield

You forgot Alex Nyarko, Mark Pembridge and Tobias Linderoth.......

It's likely going to be £30m rising to £35m, i think his salary at barca is £80k. Barcelona wage bill is not in a good shape and they are adding like 2 or 3 big ones in the summer aswell, they have Vidal and Coutinho barley playing and making about £200k a week each.

Last edited:
Main worry is champions league clubs wanting him. Hopefully he will choose us, based on the fact he seems to love it here. Everton need to show players of this quality their ambition though. One of the best midfielders I’ve seen at Goodson in decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.