2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would not be a good financial deal for us to sell this summer. Purchase price was £33m which includes a 15% sell on clause. He has one year into a 5 year deal would not have ammortised much. £50m would be the top end for him now so the effect on the books would be very small. We would be better off selling Pickford now and Onana next season
We sell Pickford we lose another 10 or 12 points per season, we would only get around £70 mil as well

I’ve got to say, it’s been a disappointing season from him on the whole.

Even allowing for him being young and learning the league, I would’ve expected him to have shown improvement throughout the season.

Perhaps the drama surrounding our club and its predicament shell shocked him a little - but I would have hoped there would be a performance more memorable than his 10-minute debut against Villa. I was really excited by what he brought to that game, even given he setup a goal for them.
What’s hilarious, @Zatara ?

Genuinely baffled by the childish reaction to a pretty dull opinion of mine.

If the figure was £75mil (the lowest id reluctantly accept) then with the £20% sell on it would be:

£75mil fee - 20% profit of £42mil = £66.6mil
Less book value of £26.4mil = £40.2mil profit.

I know what id do lol
How does that work when he cost £35m???
See He cost £33mil.

For the sell on of 20% on profit, a £75mil sale would mean a profit of £42mil or £8.4mil for the 20% clause.

His book value to the club would be £26.4mil. The £75mil - 8.4mil would be £66.6mil.

Less the book value = £40.2mil pure profit

Sell at £75mil in 12months = £46.8mil profit
Sell at £75mil in 24months = £53.4mil profit

What’s hilarious, @Zatara ?

Genuinely baffled by the childish reaction to a pretty dull opinion of mine.

If you think its 'childish' to laugh at posters slating/underrating Onana then I'd say its misguided.

Onana has had a decent first season in the premier league (with plenty of mitigating factors) and stats wise a very good one.

Instead of slating/underrating him how about comparing with other 21 year old defensive midfielders (in their first season in similar circumstances) that have been used box to box and are now valued at £60-70mil ?

That would be objective rather than laughable.

First full season in senior football really. Hope to see Onana and Garner as a midfield two next season. Opportunity to step on.
I have a growing feeling Onana won't be here next year. There is clearly potential in his game, which is why he's reportedly attracting interest from other top clubs.

If they were to offer a decent sum for him, the club may choose to reinvest that money in two or three players, who'll develop the paper-thin squad further.

Ideally, I would rather that he stayed, but I think it'll come down to a combination of how committed he is (or what his ambitions are?), our finances and any bids.

Like with all our other dealings, it will be a balancing act based on what the financial rules look like.

See He cost £33mil.

For the sell on of 20% on profit, a £75mil sale would mean a profit of £42mil or £8.4mil for the 20% clause.

His book value to the club would be £26.4mil. The £75mil - 8.4mil would be £66.6mil.

Less the book value = £40.2mil pure profit

Sell at £75mil in 12months = £46.8mil profit
Sell at £75mil in 24months = £53.4mil profit

If you think its 'childish' to laugh at posters slating/underrating Onana then I'd say its misguided.

Onana has had a decent first season in the premier league (with plenty of mitigating factors) and stats wise a very good one.

Instead of slating/underrating him how about comparing with other 21 year old defensive midfielders (in their first season in similar circumstances) that have been used box to box and are now valued at £60-70mil ?

Weren't his stats were pretty much identical to caiceido who is being lauded as the next kante?

Keep, unless we get a ludicrous offer, which I doubt.

Disappointed at times this year, but showed in flashes what he can do, and I do think he can step up in a more settled team with a better outlet up top.

If you think it’s 'childish' to laugh at posters slating/underrating Onana then I'd say it’s misguided.

I think it would benefit you to actually read posts you interact with because you’ve totally juiced what I said.

I’m not underrating him or his potential. Nor am I ‘slating’ him, you clown.

I am disappointed in his progression. There was zero noticeable improvement in any aspect of his game.

I’m sure he’s disappointed in himself, too. He’s clearly a kid with high standards.

He's got potential and had a decent, not great, first season yet he's being elevated to a position he hasn't earned yet. He should stay here next season, he still has a lot of developing to do. He does have the tools to be great if he knuckles down and keeps working.

Plus if he develops with us another season then the potential for profit is probably better. I think the midfield are good athletes and decent defensively but apart from Garner, they struggle with passing consistently.

Weren't his stats were pretty much identical to caiceido who is being lauded as the next kante?

His stats were actually slightly superior to Caicedos.
I think it would benefit you to actually read posts you interact with because you’ve totally juiced what I said.

I’m not underrating him or his potential. Nor am I ‘slating’ him, you clown.

I am disappointed in his progression. There was zero noticeable improvement in any aspect of his game.

I’m sure he’s disappointed in himself, too. He’s clearly a kid with high standards.

Both Lampard and Dyche have played him out of position in a different role to "improve his all round game". Thats exactly what youre saying you arent seeing.

You're not seeing the DM he is...only the box to box player hes being used as.

Reminds me a lot of Felliani.

Not the type of player but the circumstances, signed out of the blue , started well then looked a little lost and games passing him by.

Took Felliani a good while to come to terms with it , looks the same with this kid.
Undoubted there's a talent there , it's if we are prepared to nurture it and see it through.
He's well regarded too , Moyes who can pick a player wanted him , getting games for Belgium shows he has a great future.
I'd keep him myself tbh.

His stats were actually slightly superior to Caicedos.

Both Lampard and Dyche have played him out of position in a different role to "improve his all round game". Thats exactly what youre saying you arent seeing.

You're not seeing the DM he is...only the box to box player hes being used as.
He can't tackle or pass, he's never a DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.