2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iwobi’s more skilful obviously but for the team we’re going to be for the next couple of seasons, defensively and positionally disciplined, wide midfielders having to double up with the fullback and focus on crosses into the box - McNeil is more suited to the style, like it or not.
I meant the clone part specifically

As well as a couple of forwards we'll need a new right winger or two in the summer, but we'll need a type to suit the system we're using as neither Gray or Iwobi are great there.

A right footer bringing balance to the midfield, hopefully with good pace, can cross a ball and chip in with goals. Seems like most wide midfielders play on the side of the pitch where they can cut in and shoot at the moment though.

I'd say keep Iwobi where he can be moved back centrally and be a useful utility player. With him, Onana, Gueye, Doucoure and Garner I think we would be able to concentrate strengthening other positions in desperate need.

On the surface, if we are going with 3 in midfield then (as you say) Onana, Gana, Doucoure, Garner and Iwobi with perhaps an u21 gives us the numbers.

Then we could bring in 2 right midfielders.

Totally logical and of course McNeil and Gray competing the left sided role.

The issues I see with this centrally are:

1: Iwobi wont be on a low wage and with an extension he wont be a cheap utility player

2: Currently we have an ageing Gana. Doucoure I believe were expecting to have a one year deal triggered. Garner I expect to push out Gana next season, Onana is also a young player...surely we should bring in another u21 to takeover from Doucoure?

We'd then have recycled our midfield in 12months. Instead, by giving Iwobi a new contract were missing an opportunity.

3: How much could we sell him for? Could that figure not be better spent on an u21 right winger or attacking midfielder to gradually develop over the next 12months or so?

For me, I would sign 2 × U21 players to develop at attacking midfield and right midfield. Also a starting right midfielder.

Iwobi's fee goes towards our budget and his wages cover the cost of at least the 2 youngsters.

On the surface, if we are going with 3 in midfield then (as you say) Onana, Gana, Doucoure, Garner and Iwobi with perhaps an u21 gives us the numbers.

1: Iwobi wont be on a low wage and with an extension he wont be a cheap utility player

2: Currently we have an ageing Gana. Doucoure I believe were expecting to have a one year deal triggered. Garner I expect to push out Gana next season, Onana is also a young player...surely we should bring in another u21 to takeover from Doucoure?

We'd then have recycled our midfield in 12months. Instead, by giving Iwobi a new contract were missing an opportunity.

3: How much could we sell him for? Could that figure not be better spent on an u21 right winger or attacking midfielder to gradually develop over the next 12months or so?

For me, I would sign 2 × U21 players to develop at attacking midfield and right midfield. Also a starting right midfielder.

Iwobi's fee goes towards our budget and his wages cover the cost of at least the 2 youngsters.
Well I can only guess with what we've seen so far.

If Dyche goes to 442 then there would be more changes required as I don't think Iwobi, Gueye and Doucoure would suit that system, whereas 3 in the middle covers their flaws.

I didn't think Iwobi was on ridiculous amounts (reported £50k - £70k), unless he has already signed his contract extension which I missed, I don't think we should extend his contract though.

If we got a good offer then yeah sell up, but I just can't see it. So instead of selling cheaply and not being able to replace adequately, I would prefer to keep him around the squad another year and concentrate our funds where we are in desperate need.

Said the same on twitter yesterday and we may have missed the boat on Johnson from forest and it would also mean them getting relegated.

But could we get 15mil for iwobi in the summer? Johnson for 25 maybe 30 max and a young attacking midfielder/number 10. Alex Scott from Bristol city 20mil max 25mil. Both on 5yr deals it would be around 10mil a season and both wages would be less than iwobi’s

Well I can only guess with what we've seen so far.

If Dyche goes to 442 then there would be more changes required as I don't think Iwobi, Gueye and Doucoure would suit that system, whereas 3 in the middle covers their flaws.

I didn't think Iwobi was on ridiculous amounts (reported £50k - £70k), unless he has already signed his contract extension which I missed, I don't think we should extend his contract though.

If we got a good offer then yeah sell up, but I just can't see it. So instead of selling cheaply and not being able to replace adequately, I would prefer to keep him around the squad another year and concentrate our funds where we are in desperate need.
I’ve seen 60k a week and 100k a week, if we split the difference and say 80k he’d probably want a small pay rise to sign, so we could be paying him 100k a week for the
Next 4yrs up till he’s 31, With no
Chance of getting rid of him and he may not even be a regular again and back on the bench in 12/18 months. If he was the main player in our team then fair enough, but he’s not.

How I see it if iwobi stays and is a regular for the next 4yrs it means we haven’t moved on as a team and have basically stayed still, if he’s sitting on the bench then it would most likely mean we have progressed and that’s why for me it shouldn’t be a difficult decision.

Totally different to Pickford, who is playing every week and one of our most important players and we could still sell for good
Money over the next 2yrs.

Definitely mate, we need to cash in if we can and try and evolve away from players like Iwobi, i don't think Dyche is even a fan, but obviously needs him.

I dont want Iwobi in this team in two years time - if we stay in the PL.

I'd prefer two months time.
Seriously need to get rid of him.

Definitely mate, we need to cash in if we can and try and evolve away from players like Iwobi, i don't think Dyche is even a fan, but obviously needs him.

I dont want Iwobi in this team in two years time - if we stay in the PL.

Chukweze from Villarreal is apparently getting punted for about £15mill.

Iwobi out for £10mill...this lad in. Football manager heaven

Let me stop you right there... are you familiar with Everton's transfer activity over the past 6-7 years?
Exactly this

People on here feel like we can always get cheaper and upgrade, when it's not easy to do, and in fact we haven't done it successfully, at all, recently

Like it or not, Iwobi is one of our most talented players. Sure, I'd love to get younger, better and cheaper.

But that's a hope, not a strategy, when it comes to Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.