2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody called it absolutely perfectly the other week when they noted he looked like he was trying to perform some kind of elaborate flick of the ball while on the copacabana instead of a simple pass to a teammate. This moment of idiocy led to him losing possession and it being in our net about 15 seconds later. The player is thick, although a bit more hard working nowadays, but that's hardly worth praise is it when you're being paid 100k a week.

I think he's a very fortunate player to still be getting minutes. To say he's been average would be giving the fella far too much credit regardless of what position he's in.
Unfortunately we dont have anyone that can play out on the right, I know some wont like it but we could do with Townsend getting fit sooner than later then we can move Iwobi back inside, a fit Lewin with McNeil and Townsend putting crosses in may help

Unfortunately we dont have anyone that can play out on the right, I know some wont like it but we could do with Townsend getting fit sooner than later then we can move Iwobi back inside, a fit Lewin with McNeil and Townsend putting crosses in may help

I think once he loses the spot on the right, he won't be getting any starts. He switches off far too often to be trusted in a midfield role

In this formation, the way this manager wants to play, if we had a clone of McNeil who was right footed to play on the right - we’d be a better team.

It’s not worth paying £100k a week and a new contract, to a player who is filling in as a right midfielder. Money could be better spent. Bottom line.
Going to have to disagree on that mate

Yes the way to solve this is to play a different player out of position who has shown he struggles to play the right side

It’s hardly out of position if he has to play on the right instead of the left. Wingers constantly interchange on the wings during matches and end up playing both sides at some points happened plenty of times under Lampard with him and Gordon. the only difference is instead of cutting in from the right to shoot he’d be cutting in from the left and it’s not like iwobi is left footed. It’s not even iwobis favourite position on the pitch, Iwobi has made it very clear he wants to play in that Doucoure role.

It’s hardly out of position if he has to play on the right instead of the left. Wingers constantly interchange on the wings during matches and end up playing both sides at some points happened plenty of times under Lampard with him and Gordon. the only difference is instead of cutting in from the right to shoot he’d be cutting in from the left and it’s not like iwobi is left footed. It’s not even iwobis favourite position on the pitch, Iwobi has made it very clear he wants to play in that Doucoure role.
Gray has not ever played well on the right

I can’t believe he’s offered a new contract, he was woeful against Chelsea, a few times he had the chance to close a ball down and poo’d himself and backed out, he could’ve closed Kovecic down for that early shot but backed out, his half arsed tracking lost Felix for the goal. Gives the ball away cheaply then meanders back as if he has all the time in the world. A purple patch now and again doesn’t warrant £100K+ a week for me.

Gray has not ever played well on the right
As well as a couple of forwards we'll need a new right winger or two in the summer, but we'll need a type to suit the system we're using as neither Gray or Iwobi are great there.

A right footer bringing balance to the midfield, hopefully with good pace, can cross a ball and chip in with goals. Seems like most wide midfielders play on the side of the pitch where they can cut in and shoot at the moment though.

I'd say keep Iwobi where he can be moved back centrally and be a useful utility player. With him, Onana, Gueye, Doucoure and Garner I think we would be able to concentrate strengthening other positions in desperate need.

Status
Not open for further replies.