2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing him as a winger in a 4-4-2 doesn't suit his game at all. Not really sure it suits any of our wide players aside from Walcott. Probably better just getting back to the Bernard-Digne axis at this point.

Weird that people are picking him out. Ran himself into the ground in that first half.

Our most creative player for me, easy choice for the #10 role if we insist on playing one, if not then the most advanced of a midfield 3. Never a winger.

I don't understand people's dislike for him either. Maybe it's because he's not as flashy as the likes of Bernard? Every time he gets the ball he's got his head up and is direct. He goes straight for the jugular each time. One of our most effective players.

If we play two up top then it's potentially Bernard and Iwobi out wide. Both aren't exactly 'wingers' so it might not work. Although, in theory they'd allow Digne and Sidibe to get up the pitch. They'd also cause havoc drifting inside with the defenders already occupied with the two forwards.

Would certainly be more interesting than the predictable 4-2-3-1 we've been dishing out for years.

I don't understand people's dislike for him either. Maybe it's because he's not as flashy as the likes of Bernard? Every time he gets the ball he's got his head up and is direct. He goes straight for the jugular each time. One of our most effective players.

If we play two up top then it's potentially Bernard and Iwobi out wide. Both aren't exactly 'wingers' so it might not work. Although, in theory they'd allow Digne and Sidibe to get up the pitch. They'd also cause havoc drifting inside with the defenders already occupied with the two forwards.

Would certainly be more interesting than the predictable 4-2-3-1 we've been dishing out for years.

Appreciate your thinking but I think he'd still be wasted out wide, personally think our best team lies in a 4-3-3 with him playing centrally, but the most advanced of the 3. Something like:

Gomes Gbamin Iwobi
Richarlison Kean Bernard

Or push him behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1...you just know the new manager will play it too.

I agree but we would need a player like Kante to sit behind and do the defensive duties.
It would allow us to play three strikers up front so would be exciting. It would mean iwobi and Bernard been switched on defensively when the fullbacks bomb on which with a good coach they would be capable of. They both work hard.

He's a funny one Iwobi. He's clearly a central player but player a 442 he isn't disciplined enough to play as me of the central two, he's better as a ten where he can drive forward. He has something he works hard enough on the wing and can put the odd decent ball in and pass through he put a few through to DCL in the derby. But he also lacks a cutting edge often and runs very strangely.

I thought Bernard would have got the nod to play on the left with Digne but maybe the current fitness levels of Iwobi and physical edge got him the gig. That was defo what was required for Saturday's game. I like the 4-4-2 though. It's simple and it works. Players should be good enough to adapt to certain roles in the team and although the old wide midfield players are a dying breed due to the over complication of formations these days, I'm sure decent players can adjust.

He's strong and physical. He fights through defenders and comes out the other side with the ball. I love that.

He's not as pacy as your typical "winger." His final touch is lacking.

I'd rather have his physicality in or near the box than out by the corner flag.

He's genuinely one of the more confusing players I've seen in awhile. Has energy, more pace than Gylfi but not Walcott levels, good vision but not exactly great passing, not a great shot.

You see 5 things a match that make you stand up and get excited for, then you see 5 things in the same match that make you sit down and re-evaluate your place in life. Not at all the worst player on the pitch tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.