2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

I meant central midfield and no Iwobi is not one of those. He played one game at a central position and it was probably on the whole our best game of the season. But under Carlo he is a winger or at times a RWB.

Regardless I'm not suggesting changing the system for Iwobi. I'm suggesting changing it so the likes of Gomes, Sigurdsson and Davies aren't exposed for 90 minutes.
Or, we could get rid of the midfield players that offer us nothing in our Champions League winning manager's system and replace them with players who can play that system.

Or, we could get rid of the midfield players that offer us nothing in our Champions League winning manager's system and replace them with players who can play that system.
He never won the CL playing 4-4-2. He always adjusted and I have to think he will again.

Possibly, but not to accommodate Alex Iwobi because, as has been pointed out quite clearly by pretty much everyone on this thread, he's terrible.
And again I told you that's not what I'm saying. You raised the question "why are results worse?" and I told you that I think the biggest change from last year is Gana covered the holes in our game to a greater extent than anyone realized. His leaving and Gbamin's injury have stopped us from having any real security and Carlo has chosen to play a system that in times exposes that even further.

It was a separate comment from the Iwobi discussion. I'm not trying to defend his performances currently but I do think the ideas that we should sell him and that he was a not well thought out signing are both wrong for various reasons.

And again I told you that's not what I'm saying. You raised the question "why are results worse?" and I told you that I think the biggest change from last year is Gana covered the holes in our game to a greater extent than anyone realized. His leaving and Gbamin's injury have stopped us from having any real security and Carlo has chosen to play a system that in times exposes that even further.

It was a separate comment from the Iwobi discussion. I'm not trying to defend his performances currently but I do think the ideas that we should sell him and that he was a not well thought out signing are both wrong for various reasons.

Creativity is what this team lacks.

Not some tackle merchant.

Given how dog muck our wide options are I could maybe see him playing a diamond, but I doubt he changes the team to accommodate such a dreaful player like Iwobi.
No I'm not saying that though. I just think 4-4-2 is a system that struggles in the modern game and has been even worse for us lately because of the lack of any type of central midfield. The diamond would be more secure through the middle while allowing us to keep the strike partnership. It also could, if used correctly, allow our best creative player in Lucas Digne more freedom to move up the field. I'd like to see it too, and if Iwobi is the best option for the #10 that is good and if not that's fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.