2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are these skills? When has he exhibited them for us or Arsenal? He doesn't assist, he doesn't score, he doesn't even create many chances. The only thing anyone ever says to defend him is he passes the ball forward more often than the average but if that passing doesn't create chances or goals what is the point?

You were keen for us to sign him and you have kept pushing that he has something about him that we need but results have been worse than last year so what is his contribution? Just accept he's not the player you thought he was and move on.
Last year at Arsenal he had a goal or assist every 200 minutes or so. That's not nearly as bad as people are making out. Add in the forward passing and dribbling stuff and you had the profile of a very useful player if he got more consistent game time.

No it hasn't worked at all. But I also don't think he has magically lost the ability to do anything since he got here so I'd like to think maybe at some point he can figure it out again.

And the results have been worse because we sold our best player and the replacement got hurt. The results were good last year because Marco set up a pretty decent press that couldn't be exposed because of Gana covering and without Gana covering it was exposed. Carlo has come in and done well but he's trying to play a system that puts pressure on the midfield without midfielders who can handle it. The root of all problems is there imo. Not that it means everyone else is doing enough, but that's the main reason for the results stinking.

I agree that he's gotten little PT but

#1. He's had 2.5 managers, including one who is also Italian, and there's probably a reason for that
#2. He is the definition of a headless chicken
#3. Another season of bench warming would tank his value

As I argued earlier you can normally recoup 75-80% of depreciated value of a bad signing after the first season. Other teams write it off as one bad year. But two bad years? You are stuck with that shizz sandwich forever.

The only player we did this with was Klaasen and it was very smart to do so.

I'd get Iwobi and Kean out of here ASAP. With this being such a strange season we could probably get full value for Kean and not take too much of a loss on Iwobi.
1. The reason for that is Richarlison and before the last couple games Calvert-Lewin were very good this season and basically undroppable.
2. GTFO of here with that crap.
3. Who cares about his value we don't need to be selling every young player because they don't come in and play at a world class level right away. Patience is necessary just like it was with Dom.

You can't simultaneously sell Iwobi and Kean plus all the players who are definitely not good enough like Sigurdsson and still have a squad with any kind of depth next year. It is basically a non-starter.

1. The reason for that is Richarlison and before the last couple games Calvert-Lewin were very good this season and basically undroppable.
2. GTFO of here with that crap.
3. Who cares about his value we don't need to be selling every young player because they don't come in and play at a world class level right away. Patience is necessary just like it was with Dom.

You can't simultaneously sell Iwobi and Kean plus all the players who are definitely not good enough like Sigurdsson and still have a squad with any kind of depth next year. It is basically a non-starter.

DCL cost a few million and showed potential. His hold up play and aggression were evident from the start. Kean drifts around and falls over himself most of the time. He looks gassed after 5 mins of running. We got rinsed by Juve. Get out now while you can.

Last year at Arsenal he had a goal or assist every 200 minutes or so. That's not nearly as bad as people are making out. Add in the forward passing and dribbling stuff and you had the profile of a very useful player if he got more consistent game time.

No it hasn't worked at all. But I also don't think he has magically lost the ability to do anything since he got here so I'd like to think maybe at some point he can figure it out again.

And the results have been worse because we sold our best player and the replacement got hurt. The results were good last year because Marco set up a pretty decent press that couldn't be exposed because of Gana covering and without Gana covering it was exposed. Carlo has come in and done well but he's trying to play a system that puts pressure on the midfield without midfielders who can handle it. The root of all problems is there imo. Not that it means everyone else is doing enough, but that's the main reason for the results stinking.
Iwobi is one of those midfielders. Ipso facto he can't handle it. So, either Carlo changes his system to accommodate Iwobi, which based on his contribution so far would be utter madness, or he needs to be replaced by a midfielder who can handle it. But you say no, so what's the solution?

DCL cost a few million and showed potential. His hold up play and aggression were evident from the start. Kean drifts around and falls over himself most of the time. He looks gassed after 5 mins of running. We got rinsed by Juve. Get out now while you can.
Kean has shown a far greater potential to be a goalscorer in his time here than DCL ever did before he actually started scoring this season.

Iwobi is one of those midfielders. Ipso facto he can't handle it. So, either Carlo changes his system to accommodate Iwobi, which based on his contribution so far would be utter madness, or he needs to be replaced by a midfielder who can handle it. But you say no, so what's the solution?
I meant central midfield and no Iwobi is not one of those. He played one game at a central position and it was probably on the whole our best game of the season. But under Carlo he is a winger or at times a RWB.

Regardless I'm not suggesting changing the system for Iwobi. I'm suggesting changing it so the likes of Gomes, Sigurdsson and Davies aren't exposed for 90 minutes.

There is no chance that his value is literally zero, so in a couple of years if he still isn't playing well we can look to offload him and it will at least be about even on FFP. Do it now and we are in an unrecoverable hole unless we sell Richarlison, Digne or maybe Calvert-Lewin.

I'm done trying to explain this to you though. There's a reason you aren't in charge.

Listen fella he is worth virtualy nothing. Get it into your head only Everton would have payed that. Everywhere else he is going for 6m at most. And if i was running the club he wouldnt be here at all and this problem wouldnt exist... Unlike yourself who since the start of this thread going way back to aug has tried to convince absolutely everyone that you know what you're talking about. When its quite clear you dont.

Kean has shown a far greater potential to be a goalscorer in his time here than DCL ever did before he actually started scoring this season.

Please site your evidence for this. He has one PL goal in 747 minutes. In Dom's first season he had 1 goal in 345 mins playing mostly had a winger. Dom also started the year in the U23s and only played sparingly towards the end. Kean has had an entire season.

Listen fella he is worth virtualy nothing. Get it into your head only Everton would have payed that. Everywhere else he is going for 6m at most. And if i was running the club he wouldnt be here at all and this problem wouldnt exist... Unlike yourself who since the start of this thread going way back to aug has tried to convince absolutely everyone that you know what you're talking about. When its quite clear you dont.
But even if you accept the figure as 6m it makes more sense to keep him in the squad for another season or two before you sell him for FFP reasons.

I'm sorry but unless someone comes in with 20m or more, which you've repeatedly said is impossible, selling Iwobi this summer is lunacy. It's a crippling move for our finances.

But even if you accept the figure as 6m it makes more sense to keep him in the squad for another season or two before you sell him for FFP reasons.

I'm sorry but unless someone comes in with 20m or more, which you've repeatedly said is impossible, selling Iwobi this summer is lunacy. It's a crippling move for our finances.

No it doesnt. Because he's a liability and id rather bring a kid through and put him on the bench. He'd try harder. Not be a drain. And probably offer more on the pitch at 17 or 18.
We are done. You type utter tosh.

Please site your evidence for this. He has one PL goal in 747 minutes. In Dom's first season he had 1 goal in 345 mins playing mostly had a winger. Dom also started the year in the U23s and only played sparingly towards the end. Kean has had an entire season.
What do good goalscorers do? For me they shoot a lot, consistently get shots away from positions central and close to goal, strike the ball well and have the ability to get shots away without having it put on a plate (basically they aren't Jelavic). Kean in a limited sample has done pretty well on the first two of those and is clearly very talented at the not being Jelavic thing. The only question I have is about his actual shooting technique but some of the training videos on youtube show him leathering the ball so I think in time that will come around too.

By comparison DCL didn't shoot nearly enough until this year and still struggles with ball striking and beating defenders to get shots off. Kean is a far better prospect imo and I think showing patience will reward us longer term.

No it doesnt. Because he's a liability and id rather bring a kid through and put him on the bench. He'd try harder. Not be a drain. And probably offer more on the pitch at 17 or 18.
We are done. You type utter tosh.
Which kid? Gordon is already in the squad. We can't just crap out prospects.

I meant central midfield and no Iwobi is not one of those. He played one game at a central position and it was probably on the whole our best game of the season. But under Carlo he is a winger or at times a RWB.

Regardless I'm not suggesting changing the system for Iwobi. I'm suggesting changing it so the likes of Gomes, Sigurdsson and Davies aren't exposed for 90 minutes.

Far better change the midfield not the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.