2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't really do that and not have even bigger FFP troubles. So no cutting our losses isn't really an option unless we can find someone who will pay close to or more than what we did.

We are taking a loss no matter what. May aswell get him off the payroll.

That's not true though with the way the accounts work.

We are not going to recoup anything. Because there is not a club stupid enough to pay anything. So any FFP is already done. Get him off the books.
Unbelievable to see that wolves player open us up with ease yesterday. And he cost half of what iwobi did.
He's a dud. Live with it.

The things Iwobi can do when he is playing well are certainly skills that are at an extreme premium in our squad. He's just not playing well at all currently.
What are these skills? When has he exhibited them for us or Arsenal? He doesn't assist, he doesn't score, he doesn't even create many chances. The only thing anyone ever says to defend him is he passes the ball forward more often than the average but if that passing doesn't create chances or goals what is the point?

You were keen for us to sign him and you have kept pushing that he has something about him that we need but results have been worse than last year so what is his contribution? Just accept he's not the player you thought he was and move on.

Genuinely do think there's some talent there but he's so, so erratic.

Another player who seems to need loads of other pieces around him to have any impact.

Unfortunately, 7/8 of our starting XI are the same in that regard.

That's not true though with the way the accounts work.

The problem with this logic is that by not taking a short-term loss you are stuck with bad assets for several more years. We could have sold Schneiderlin for a slight lose after his first 18 months (West Ham were rumored to be in for 15-20M) and we ended up letting him walk for 2.5M. We probably could have moved Siggy for 20M last summer after he scored 13 goals, but now we can't even get 5M for him.

Eat the short-term losses so your team isn't stuck with busted assets two to three seasons later. If we could sell Iwobi and Kean for 15-20M each this summer I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Arsenal reject....garbage....saw us coming a mile off. Get rid asap
We won't be able to sell. He's the new Bolasie but much worse - higher wages, longer contract. He'll be on our books until end of June 2024 guaranteed. Nightmare scenario but it will happen. Worst signing in our history by far

We are not going to recoup anything. Because there is not a club stupid enough to pay anything. So any FFP is already done. Get him off the books.
Unbelievable to see that wolves player open us up with ease yesterday. And he cost half of what iwobi did.
He's a dud. Live with it.
There is no chance that his value is literally zero, so in a couple of years if he still isn't playing well we can look to offload him and it will at least be about even on FFP. Do it now and we are in an unrecoverable hole unless we sell Richarlison, Digne or maybe Calvert-Lewin.

I'm done trying to explain this to you though. There's a reason you aren't in charge.

The problem with this logic is that by not taking a short-term loss you are stuck with bad assets for several more years. We could have sold Schneiderlin for a slight lose after his first 18 months (West Ham were rumored to be in for 15-20M) and we ended up letting him walk for 2.5M. We probably could have moved Siggy for 20M last summer after he scored 13 goals, but now we can't even get 5M for him.

Eat the short-term losses so your team isn't stuck with busted assets two to three seasons later. If we could sell Iwobi and Kean for 15-20M each this summer I'd take it in a heartbeat.
If Sigurdsson was 45m fee for a 5 year deal then we would lose about the same amount selling him for 5m as we would selling Kean for 15m for the FFP budget. Schneiderlin I think we may have lost a couple million of FFP.

Add to that we do have to field a team next season so we can't sell everyone.

If Sigurdsson was 45m fee for a 5 year deal then we would lose about the same amount selling him for 5m as we would selling Kean for 15m for the FFP budget. Schneiderlin I think we may have lost a couple million of FFP.

Add to that we do have to field a team next season so we can't sell everyone.

So we saved a little money on FFP but our stuck with these busts 2-3 longer than we need to be? Why is this wise team building again?

So we saved a little money on FFP but our stuck with these busts 2-3 longer than we need to be? Why is this wise team building again?
It's not maybe the best for team building but if we do want to play in Europe there are realities we have to deal with.

Also binning off Kean after 700 minutes and like 4 starts at a fairly large loss is also ridiculous team building and although Iwobi hasn't played well there are still skills that he has that we need if he could ever find it in him to play well again. There are others to move on first and the potential FFP issues make that even more the case.

It's not maybe the best for team building but if we do want to play in Europe there are realities we have to deal with.

Also binning off Kean after 700 minutes and like 4 starts at a fairly large loss is also ridiculous team building and although Iwobi hasn't played well there are still skills that he has that we need if he could ever find it in him to play well again. There are others to move on first and the potential FFP issues make that even more the case.

I agree that he's gotten little PT but

#1. He's had 2.5 managers, including one who is also Italian, and there's probably a reason for that
#2. He is the definition of a headless chicken
#3. Another season of bench warming would tank his value

As I argued earlier you can normally recoup 75-80% of depreciated value of a bad signing after the first season. Other teams write it off as one bad year. But two bad years? You are stuck with that shizz sandwich forever.

The only player we did this with was Klaasen and it was very smart to do so.

I'd get Iwobi and Kean out of here ASAP. With this being such a strange season we could probably get full value for Kean and not take too much of a loss on Iwobi.

Status
Not open for further replies.