2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I'm not saying that though. I just think 4-4-2 is a system that struggles in the modern game and has been even worse for us lately because of the lack of any type of central midfield. The diamond would be more secure through the middle while allowing us to keep the strike partnership. It also could, if used correctly, allow our best creative player in Lucas Digne more freedom to move up the field. I'd like to see it too, and if Iwobi is the best option for the #10 that is good and if not that's fine too.

I agree with what you say about 442, its a VERY hard formation to get right.

Finding a modern footballer than can play in a 2 will be very hard.

I see people listing what they want from a midfielder and that player simply doesn't exist.

It lacks both sadly. We aren't getting anything going forward but we are also badly gash at stopping people in midfield. Gbamin might at least fix one problem so we could focus on the other.

I think Delph and Gmblammo hurt us a lot, both players would have given us the legs and allowed Gomes more "freedom", but lets be honest, are any of those 3 suited to a midfield 2? As said above, 442 in 2020 is hard ASF.

I agree with what you say about 442, its a VERY hard formation to get right.

Finding a modern footballer than can play in a 2 will be very hard.

I see people listing what they want from a midfielder and that player simply doesn't exist.

I think Delph and Gmblammo hurt us a lot, both players would have given us the legs and allowed Gomes more "freedom", but lets be honest, are any of those 3 suited to a midfield 2? As said above, 442 in 2020 is hard ASF.
Maybe Gbamin could at least put a reasonable effort together but Delph definitely not. I just don't see it working if we persist with it. Honestly I don't even know what system our squad currently sets up best to play but we do need to figure that out soon so we aren't signing players haphazardly again.

Maybe Gbamin could at least put a reasonable effort together but Delph definitely not. I just don't see it working if we persist with it. Honestly I don't even know what system our squad currently sets up best to play but we do need to figure that out soon so we aren't signing players haphazardly again.

If I got Evertons squad in FM2020 I would reload and go Leeds or something.

I would have richarlison up front on his own and an extra midfielder because we are so poor in that department.

And again I told you that's not what I'm saying. You raised the question "why are results worse?" and I told you that I think the biggest change from last year is Gana covered the holes in our game to a greater extent than anyone realized. His leaving and Gbamin's injury have stopped us from having any real security and Carlo has chosen to play a system that in times exposes that even further.

It was a separate comment from the Iwobi discussion. I'm not trying to defend his performances currently but I do think the ideas that we should sell him and that he was a not well thought out signing are both wrong for various reasons.
To be fair, bud, this is the Alex Iwobi thread.
There are various reasons why signing him was a bad idea, I know you disagree, but the main one is that he's not very good. He wasn't especially good in an Arsenal team with better players than we have and I'm not sure how an average player in a good team was somehow going to be a transformative player in a weaker side and, frankly, nothing he has done since being here has changed my mind on that. When he's been "good" he's just been OK and when he's been "bad" he's been terrible. Who knows, maybe he'll turn it around next season, there's been no real evidence to support that hypothesis, but maybe?

To be fair, bud, this is the Alex Iwobi thread.
There are various reasons why signing him was a bad idea, I know you disagree, but the main one is that he's not very good. He wasn't especially good in an Arsenal team with better players than we have and I'm not sure how an average player in a good team was somehow going to be a transformative player in a weaker side and, frankly, nothing he has done since being here has changed my mind on that. When he's been "good" he's just been OK and when he's been "bad" he's been terrible. Who knows, maybe he'll turn it around next season, there's been no real evidence to support that hypothesis, but maybe?
The funny thing though is Arsenal blamed Mkhitaryan and him for not being good enough and tried to fix it by selling them and signing Pepe. They've been well worse. It's interesting.

I don't know what has happened but again he was not this bad at Arsenal. Also the idea that a 23 year old could step up and play better with more consistent game time isn't that far fetched is it?

The funny thing though is Arsenal blamed Mkhitaryan and him for not being good enough and tried to fix it by selling them and signing Pepe. They've been well worse. It's interesting.

I don't know what has happened but again he was not this bad at Arsenal. Also the idea that a 23 year old could step up and play better with more consistent game time isn't that far fetched is it?
It's not far fetched but, equally, it wasn't that far fetched to say he wasn't the player we needed and wasn't good value at the price we paid either, that's not hindsight loads of people said it at the time.
Every transfer is a risk but the timing of this transfer right at the end of the window combined with us not really needed another right footed winger made this one particularly peculiar. And it hasn't worked out and because of FFP we're probably lumbered with him now.

It's not far fetched but, equally, it wasn't that far fetched to say he wasn't the player we needed and wasn't good value at the price we paid either, that's not hindsight loads of people said it at the time.
Every transfer is a risk but the timing of this transfer right at the end of the window combined with us not really needed another right footed winger made this one particularly peculiar. And it hasn't worked out and because of FFP we're probably lumbered with him now.
I went back and watched some of the games that I know he played alright in. West Ham, Watford in the cup, Norwich recently. I genuinely think if we made a bit of an effort to play to his strengths we could still get good use out of him but at the same time it is a problem that not doing that has caused him to be downright useless.

I don't know, watch this and tell me, horrid miss in a 1v1 aside, that he doesn't look a half decent player here. It's essentially the only time he's played through the middle for us too.

I went back and watched some of the games that I know he played alright in. West Ham, Watford in the cup, Norwich recently. I genuinely think if we made a bit of an effort to play to his strengths we could still get good use out of him but at the same time it is a problem that not doing that has caused him to be downright useless.

I don't know, watch this and tell me, horrid miss in a 1v1 aside, that he doesn't look a half decent player here. It's essentially the only time he's played through the middle for us too.

The problem is you can find examples of players occasionally playing well, the Davies vs Man City game stands out in my mind. I agree with you that Iwobi is better in the middle than out wide but Ancelotti isn't playing him there even given the competition, or lack of, in that position which is not a good sign for him. That is likely because he doesn't see him in a 2 in midfield but he has shown no intention of playing a 3 or a 5 man midfield to accommodate him either. This doesn't bode well for your man, Alex.

The problem is you can find examples of players occasionally playing well, the Davies vs Man City game stands out in my mind. I agree with you that Iwobi is better in the middle than out wide but Ancelotti isn't playing him there even given the competition, or lack of, in that position which is not a good sign for him. That is likely because he doesn't see him in a 2 in midfield but he has shown no intention of playing a 3 or a 5 man midfield to accommodate him either. This doesn't bode well for your man, Alex.
You're right but I'd argue that playing a two man midfield doesn't bode well for the club, Everton. I just can't see it as a long term solution if we're trying to play in Europe.

You're right but I'd argue that playing a two man midfield doesn't bode well for the club, Everton. I just can't see it as a long term solution if we're trying to play in Europe.
Ancelotti doesn't seem to be budging. That being said, maybe he just doesn't want to play three of Siggurdson, Davies, Delph, Gomes, Iwobi or Baninhome and who can blame him?!

I pop on here after watching southampton take the game to man utd at old trafford. I see alex iwobis dad still rattling on about he great he can be. He cost more than any southampton player tonight.
Depressing.

I pop on here after watching southampton take the game to man utd at old trafford. I see alex iwobis dad still rattling on about he great he can be. He cost more than any southampton player tonight.
Depressing.
I'd be surprised if he didn't cost more than their entire team added together?

Status
Not open for further replies.