2017/18 Ademola Lookman

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need someone who has pace and will run past defenders and that is what Lookman has/does. Will be very disappointing if Koeman lets him go out on loan. Should be starting ahead of Mirallas every day of the week.

I actually think we've looked better with both of them than Sandro, Rooney and Klaasen. Lookman and Mirallas actually have a go at a defence.

Think we will see him in the super sub role this season ..... coming on at the hr mark to run at tired opponents.

Klassen and Rooney are similar players, they occupy the same space. One has to be sacrificed to offer us something different..miralles or lookman. Would give us better balance. Equally concerning the Gana/schnerderlin partnership doesn't look as effective this season.
Lookman impressed me in the middle. Mirallas has already shown he can put in a shift there as well. The problem will always be can our fullbacks provide the width? Kenny and Martina did excellent on the flanks. Holgate actually made some decent runs albeit he isn't a natural RB. Baines needs to find his balls again. The only reason Gana and Schneiderlin should both be in the game is to cover for the fullbacks.

Why wouldn't he be good enough to start again?

I'm not saying he isn't ..... but based on the manager's decisions so far it would appear he is currently behind Sandro / DCL / Rooney / and maybe Kev . That is without signing much needed depth up front. I think we will mostly see him off the bench this year..... ( although I'll be happy to be proven wrong if he's scoring + starting )

Perfect age, position and style of play to be getting his minutes as a super sub after 60 minutes. Ideal for it. This wouldn't be an issue if we had a single other player in the squad capable of going past a man or even the tiniest smidge of flair.

Can't remember watching lookman play and not being impressed. We don't have anyone else like him in the squad. His direct style is something we need to use.

The thing is, he just doesn't need a loan. He's played a full season in the Championship already and half a season in League 1, he's already done his competitive first team experience-gaining.
I hope, and believe, it's all just paper talk. He definitely needs to be part of the first team squad this season, especially with Bolasie out until whenever.

Having said that, I do think some of us are building him up far too much at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I think he has the potential to be an absolute worldie. The skill set, balance and touch he has are things that can't be taught and are not that common either. But he's still 19 and has so much to learn. It will be completely understandable if he has more poor games than good ones at this stage in his career, and also expect him to drift out of games too. Initially I'd give him game time from the bench and starting in some of our cup games. Hopefully his form will be so good that Koeman is forced to start him more often, but I think the likelihood is that some on here will be frustrated by his inconsistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.