Ademola Lookman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this lad has a big future with us, get a full pre season down him and let him develop a bit and he will come good :)

I do think that's the case and I'm glad you agree. I thought it was my imagination but he defo doesn't have that little murderous burst of pace required to find the centimetres of space sometimes required to get a cross/shot off. If the manager has seen that up close and feels he's not got what he thought initially then that's a worry. personally i thought he did ok and deserved more starts after bursting into the team.

It's going to be interesting seeing how he progresses. I do like that type of player, he's creative at a time when we seem to be getting rid of them or clipping their wings....so I suppose - on another level - I'm expressing concern that he's another one suffering due to that with this manager...maybe Koeman wants to get more of a work ethic into him before reintroducing him again.

Let's hope he doesn't diminish his appetite to showcase his undoubted talent in the process.

No I think your analysis was spot on with that. The lower leagues are slower so it probably didn't show up as much and therefore he could have more of a free role. I think Koeman is quite aware of this, as very early on (even when he was playing very well) he spoke of the need for him to be in and around the opposition box and close to the centre forward. Uncoded I think this means he feels he probably lacks the pace to play deeper and needs to do his best work in and around the box where he can fie shots off. I would say he has lots of tricks to beat players, but as you've said not the explosive pace to burst past them.

The issue he's had is that the lads in position have been playing well. It's hard to see him deserving too much more game time than Barkley/Mirallas, and Valencia has been a good bench option. That being said I suppose the game for me that would have suited him very well was United away. I was surprised we didn't see him then.

I think part of what Koeman wants is work ethic and fitness, but also to get him playing closer to the front. If he can learn that I do see a lad that can do some damage as he seems a pretty good finisher.

For Lookman we see something akin to the wider challenge Koeman has. I do feel our continued success will be down too how well the young players can continue to improve. We had 4 lads 22 and under playing at Anfield on pitch (6 23 and under compared to their 1). Thats without Lookman, Kenny and potentially even Walsh & Dowell who may start pre season. I suspect we will see some big signings (in part off the back of a hugely inflated fee for Lukaku) but Koeman's success will depend on how quickly he can continue to develop these lads.

It wasn't so long ago we were understandably saying Lukaku, Stones, Barkley & Deulofeu would fire us to top 4, but for a variety of reasons their progress stalled (Lukaku aside). Evertonians aren't the most forgiving to younger players (see the comments towards Calvert Lewin, but also Barkley) and stalling in the process won't be accepted. Interesting times, but certainly exciting, and looking forward to seeing more of this lad!

Was our most threatening player when he came on - but he really needs to bulk up a bit, gets knocked off the ball far too easily.

I'm sure he'll be great for us eventually.

No I think your analysis was spot on with that. The lower leagues are slower so it probably didn't show up as much and therefore he could have more of a free role. I think Koeman is quite aware of this, as very early on (even when he was playing very well) he spoke of the need for him to be in and around the opposition box and close to the centre forward. Uncoded I think this means he feels he probably lacks the pace to play deeper and needs to do his best work in and around the box where he can fie shots off. I would say he has lots of tricks to beat players, but as you've said not the explosive pace to burst past them.

The issue he's had is that the lads in position have been playing well. It's hard to see him deserving too much more game time than Barkley/Mirallas, and Valencia has been a good bench option. That being said I suppose the game for me that would have suited him very well was United away. I was surprised we didn't see him then.

I think part of what Koeman wants is work ethic and fitness, but also to get him playing closer to the front. If he can learn that I do see a lad that can do some damage as he seems a pretty good finisher.

For Lookman we see something akin to the wider challenge Koeman has. I do feel our continued success will be down too how well the young players can continue to improve. We had 4 lads 22 and under playing at Anfield on pitch (6 23 and under compared to their 1). Thats without Lookman, Kenny and potentially even Walsh & Dowell who may start pre season. I suspect we will see some big signings (in part off the back of a hugely inflated fee for Lukaku) but Koeman's success will depend on how quickly he can continue to develop these lads.

It wasn't so long ago we were understandably saying Lukaku, Stones, Barkley & Deulofeu would fire us to top 4, but for a variety of reasons their progress stalled (Lukaku aside). Evertonians aren't the most forgiving to younger players (see the comments towards Calvert Lewin, but also Barkley) and stalling in the process won't be accepted. Interesting times, but certainly exciting, and looking forward to seeing more of this lad!
The younger kids coming through in this team are not a patch on those that came through a few seasons ago: Davies and Holgate are decent but not top quality, not in my opinion. And theyre the best of them. I'd like to see Kenny and Dowell to determine if they have what it takes. But compared to Deulofeu, Barkley and Stones the present lot who have had their chance aren't at the races.

I said in another thread just now that the season is petering out and we should test the rest of these youngsters and see if a few quid can be saved.

The younger kids coming through in this team are not a patch on those that came through a few seasons ago: Davies and Holgate are decent but not top quality, not in my opinion. And theyre the best of them. I'd like to see Kenny and Dowell to determine if they have what it takes. But compared to Deulofeu, Barkley and Stones the present lot who have had their chance aren't at the races.

I said in another thread just now that the season is petering out and we should test the rest of these youngsters and see if a few quid can be saved.

lollollol

Your like a mother in law who comes over to visit and tries to find dust wherever possible so she can complain.

New angles this week:

- Koeman has to play Lookman to justify the pricetag. (no he doesnt)
- Koemans promoted youth are not as good as Martinez promoted youth (I imagine your face lighting up with glee when this one dawned on you)

I implore you to start a Davek Positivity Thread to show why you bother your arl arse supporting the club and balance the arsenal of complaints you have about the club

Your like a mother in law who comes over to visit and tries to find dust wherever possible so she can complain.

New angles this week:

- Koeman has to play Lookman to justify the pricetag. (no he doesnt)
- Koemans promoted youth are not as good as Martinez promoted youth (I imagine your face lighting up with glee when this one dawned on you)

I implore you to start a Davek Positivity Thread to show why you bother your arl arse supporting the club and balance the arsenal of complaints you have about the club
It's called debate mate.

You drink the Kool Aid if you like, I prefer to judge by performance.

I agree.

Can't believe I'm getting 'dislikes' here for supporting Lookman and asking why he isn't getting more game time for a £9m player.

Because the manager has deemed him not required to play and we have been playing well of late without him. Not hard to work out.

Im not convinced by Lookman. Makes too many bad choices, and always shoots at the keeper or straight above him(and the bar). His goal against City was also directly at the keeper, but he lucked out a little. I think people expect way too much of him, he needs a loan spell in Germany or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.