2015–16 - 4
2016–17 - 14

Mirallas
2012–13 - 6
2013–14 - 8
2014–15 - 7
2015–16 - 4
2016–17 - 4

I just think we need someone more prolific and reliable in his position. I've always wanted him to succeed, and maybe I'm being to harsh on him, but he's never quite put his stamp on it.

Compare the minutes though. Obviously Hazard is much better but he's the absolute top of the pile. I just think Kev's goals per minute are solid.

The issue is that he doesn't play enough. Why is that? Unfairly treated? Doesn't show enough in training? When he was a consistent starter his output was unsurprisingly more consistent.

I think we need more players for the positions he occupies, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't be binning off Kev is all. I think he still has a lot to offer.

Compare the minutes though. Obviously Hazard is much better but he's the absolute top of the pile. I just think Kev's goals per minute are solid.

The issue is that he doesn't play enough. Why is that? Unfairly treated? Doesn't show enough in training? When he was a consistent starter his output was unsurprisingly more consistent.

I think we need more players for the positions he occupies, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't be binning off Kev is all. I think he still has a lot to offer.

He doesn't do enough. Game on the weekend for example. You don't even realise he's playing.

One of those players who, when it isn't working starts dropping deep and isn't in the position they should be, stretching the defence. 29, 30 in October, times running out for him. I reckon he'll be sold in the summer tbf. Contract is up in 2018.

Like the kid and we will need to be patient with him while he developed. Just because we paid 9 million doesn't mean he should be ready right now.

He doesn't do enough. Game on the weekend for example. You don't even realise he's playing.

One of those players who, when it isn't working starts dropping deep and isn't in the position they should be, stretching the defence. 29, 30 in October, times running out for him. I reckon he'll be sold in the summer tbf. Contract is up in 2018.

Harsh to use yesterday as an example as everyone was awful. If you judged by that game you'd be staggered to find Rom at the top of the scoring charts.

He doesn't do enough but he doesn't get enough time. It's a chicken and egg situation (pretend for a moment that's an actual paradox and not solvable via a basic understanding of evolution!)

Some will say he's crap so doesn't get played, some say he doesn't get played enough so can't show how good he is often enough. Perhaps it's a bit of both. I have a more positive view of Kev and I don't think that's likely to change. I just think he's got an ability to do something special, and whilst he does it far less frequently than he used to, I think he can still do it. Whereas most of our squad just doesn't have that spark to begin with.

I want to see more players with said spark brought in. And if Kev leaves I want it to be because his replacements are unequivocally better. In the last few years he's had everyone from DCL to Lennon, Cleverley to Osman etc playing ahead of him. And they are not better than him.

Like the kid and we will need to be patient with him while he developed. Just because we paid 9 million doesn't mean he should be ready right now.
But he was straight in and doing ok. This is not an attack on the player: he\s played ok and he doesn't set the fee paid for him. My point about price is that we have finite resources and we cant afford to be spending out big on peripheral players...if that's what he is to be.

But he was straight in and doing ok. This is not an attack on the player: he\s played ok and he doesn't set the fee paid for him. My point about price is that we have finite resources and we cant afford to be spending out big on peripheral players...if that's what he is to be.

Yes he was doing ok but then his level dropped and needed to be taken out. He will be a key player in the future. I have no worries about this player, he will be a starter next season.

We paid £6 million for Baines to sit on our bench for most of his first season but he developed into the most productive fullback in the premier league era. We can't buy established superstars either because of lack of money, wages of lack of champions league. We therefore need to take risks. Whether Lookman is a success will be determined in the next 3 years not now. I remember us signing a young centre back from Barnsley in January when we desperately needed players in other areas. That didn't turn out too bad.

Harsh to use yesterday as an example as everyone was awful. If you judged by that game you'd be staggered to find Rom at the top of the scoring charts.

He doesn't do enough but he doesn't get enough time. It's a chicken and egg situation (pretend for a moment that's an actual paradox and not solvable via a basic understanding of evolution!)

Some will say he's crap so doesn't get played, some say he doesn't get played enough so can't show how good he is often enough. Perhaps it's a bit of both. I have a more positive view of Kev and I don't think that's likely to change. I just think he's got an ability to do something special, and whilst he does it far less frequently than he used to, I think he can still do it. Whereas most of our squad just doesn't have that spark to begin with.

I want to see more players with said spark brought in. And if Kev leaves I want it to be because his replacements are unequivocally better. In the last few years he's had everyone from DCL to Lennon, Cleverley to Osman etc playing ahead of him. And they are not better than him.

Looking back at the season, he did start every game until the loss at Bournemouth in October. He seemingly was dropped for Palace and City and started again in the loss Burnley. Back in again at West Ham he had only registered a goal an assist until the mauling at Chelsea. Out again until December and United, and his second goal at Leicester on December 27.

Two goals an assist in four months. He came on for DCL after 12 mins in January. Third goal in the City bashing, he held his spot until Bournemouth in Feb. Missed a couple then back in for 2-0 to Sunderland registering his 2nd assist. 3 goals and 2 assists in nearly 7 months.

I just don't think he instills Koeman with any confidence, his numbers have been small and this was his chance to cement a spot. With a fit Bolasie I think he would have had even less game time.

I'm not sure he's mean to be a peripheral player longer term but currently Barkley and Mirallas are in a good vain of form.

I agree with you, even in this inflated market we don't want to end up spending upwards of 10 million and not getting it right, but would you not say next season will be the litmus test? A full pre season with us, Klutenbergs fitness program and a chance to kick on? It is hard as a young lad coming from lower leagues mid season, and young players generally drop their levels a bit towards the back end of seasons, not withstanding the increase in intensity. That being said he's shown lot of promise so far, but would it be fairer to judge him next season?

I like the lad a lot by the way. I think he could really kick on and be quite clinical for us. As you've said there is a lack of a yard of pace, which is all the more reason he has tolerant to play a bit further forward, so when he's beating players with skill he can shoot quickly after.

I am puzzled by the Lookman- Del Boy arrangement.

RK unloads a young winger who is inconsistent but has loadsa ability and goes out and spunks 10 million on a boy who is years from
the finished article. Incidentally that young winger then goes onto play for one of Italy's top clubs and is wanted back by Barca.

Lookman did ok yesterday and I hope he gets more playing time this season but Del Boy coming on yesterday would have been a clear
improvement.

We paid £6 million for Baines to sit on our bench for most of his first season but he developed into the most productive fullback in the premier league era. We can't buy established superstars either because of lack of money, wages of lack of champions league. We therefore need to take risks. Whether Lookman is a success will be determined in the next 3 years not now. I remember us signing a young centre back from Barnsley in January when we desperately needed players in other areas. That didn't turn out too bad.
Well that's all well and good as a strategy - but the player you mentioned (and those like him in the recent past) have been a lot cheaper punt than the fee paid out for Lookman.

I'm not sure he's mean to be a peripheral player longer term but currently Barkley and Mirallas are in a good vain of form.
I agree with you, even in this inflated market we don't want to end up spending upwards of 10 million and not getting it right, but would you not say next season will be the litmus test? A full pre season with us, Klutenbergs fitness program and a chance to kick on? It is hard as a young lad coming from lower leagues mid season, and young players generally drop their levels a bit towards the back end of seasons, not withstanding the increase in intensity. That being said he's shown lot of promise so far, but would it be fairer to judge him next season?
I like the lad a lot by the way. I think he could really kick on and be quite clinical for us. As you've said there is a lack of a yard of pace, which is all the more reason he has tolerant to play a bit further forward, so when he's beating players with skill he can shoot quickly after.
I do think that's the case and I'm glad you agree. I thought it was my imagination but he defo doesn't have that little murderous burst of pace required to find the centimetres of space sometimes required to get a cross/shot off. If the manager has seen that up close and feels he's not got what he thought initially then that's a worry. personally i thought he did ok and deserved more starts after bursting into the team.

It's going to be interesting seeing how he progresses. I do like that type of player, he's creative at a time when we seem to be getting rid of them or clipping their wings....so I suppose - on another level - I'm expressing concern that he's another one suffering due to that with this manager...maybe Koeman wants to get more of a work ethic into him before reintroducing him again.

Let's hope he doesn't diminish his appetite to showcase his undoubted talent in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.