Ademola Lookman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a bit hyperbolic that point Dave. ...not like you...

There are no HAVE TO's in these things. They made a decision to pay whatever the hell it was based on their evaluation of his potential I presume.

Once at the club he should only be getting in the team based on his showings in training , u23 or his few mins in the first team. If he is not quite cutting it then large fee or no its pretty normal he would be out of the team.

The point about paying too high a fee for a prospect...or one for the future...well I'd say thats a conversation for another time. If he turns out amazing we will say well done. If he turns out ok and is sold at a profit, then fair enough. If he is crap and disappears off the radar then of course the money paid will be criticised.

But having to play a payer because of the price tag? I dont think thats right, even if it does happen even at the biggest clubs.
If we were a club with massive net spends it wouldn't be an issue. But I just don't think we're at the stage where we can afford to pay that type of money for a player who doesn't immediately demand a first team spot. I think many posters believe we are in that position, but a cursory look at net spending underlines we aren't.

If we were a club with massive net spends it wouldn't be an issue. But I just don't think we're at the stage where we can afford to pay that type of money for a player who doesn't immediately demand a first team spot. I think many posters believe we are in that position, but a cursory look at net spending underlines we aren't.

The money is spent. Whether we could afford the risk or whether it will turn out to be a good, bad or even important one remains to be seen.

However the manager doesn't have to play him if he doesnt think he is up to it right now or isnt going to offer more than another player. The above money talk doesnt affect that.

Who would you be giving less time on the pitch to accommodate him?
Zmirallas should never have been given another bite at the cherry. He's the past, he's erratic and he needs to be offloaded (at last) in the summer. These last few games of the season are insignificant and should have been handed to Lookman, Kenny etc to gain experience. Koeman is too busy trying to claim 6th place....as if it matters one bit, other than for ego purposes.

Looks like he has something in his locker touch, speed ,positive game and should show a bit more next season. Am wondering what dcl offers and cant think of one single thing. So its lookman for game time ahead of dcl for me.

Zmirallas should never have been given another bite at the cherry. He's the past, he's erratic and he needs to be offloaded (at last) in the summer. These last few games of the season are insignificant and should have been handed to Lookman, Kenny etc to gain experience. Koeman is too busy trying to claim 6th place....as if it matters one bit, other than for ego purposes.
Yeah, except 6th gets us past the Europa qualifiers, so it actually does matter. I miss the days of 11th place. It was all so simple then...

Agree with the first bit, but not the second. The Mirallas boat has sailed for me. He has had lots of chances and never cemented his place. Some 169 appearances and only 39 goals for an attacker is pretty poor. I would have used Lookman more as well, I think we were all suprised by Lewin seemingly being picked above him recently. My only thought is that there is something in these kinds of decisions that are made in the best interests of the team, and are a natural reaction to factors we aren't privy to.

A manager doesn't stay in his job long if he decides there's nothing to play for in competitive games. Sure, mathematical certainty in league position can warrant experimentation, but the club must come first. If there's even a chance to get a higher position you have to go for it.

Agree with the first bit, but not the second. The Mirallas boat has sailed for me. He has had lots of chances and never cemented his place. Some 169 appearances and only 39 goals for an attacker is pretty poor. I would have used Lookman more as well, I think we were all suprised by Lewin seemingly being picked above him recently. My only thought is that there is something in these kinds of decisions that are made in the best interests of the team, and are a natural reaction to factors we aren't privy to.

A manager doesn't stay in his job long if he decides there's nothing to play for in competitive games. Sure, mathematical certainty in league position can warrant experimentation, but the club must come first. If there's even a chance to get a higher position you have to go for it.

Considering how many of those were substitute appearances, 1/4 is just fine.

Eden Hazard has 55 in 168 for Chelsea. If he's the pinnacle then a 1 in 4 for Kev, given the fast amount of substitute appearances, is a very good return. When he was a week in, week out player he was always our 2nd top scorer.

Football is all about ego. Finishing above Arsenal or Manu would be boss. So would beating Chelsea next week. I'm glad we're not winding down like we did last year (in February).

Eden Hazard has 55 in 168 for Chelsea. If he's the pinnacle then a 1 in 4 for Kev, given the fast amount of substitute appearances, is a very good return. When he was a week in, week out player he was always our 2nd top scorer.

As benchmarks go -

Hazard
2012–13 - 9
2013–14 - 14
2014–15 - 14
2015–16 - 4
2016–17 - 14

Mirallas
2012–13 - 6
2013–14 - 8
2014–15 - 7
2015–16 - 4
2016–17 - 4

I just think we need someone more prolific and reliable in his position. I've always wanted him to succeed, and maybe I'm being to harsh on him, but he's never quite put his stamp on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.