5 games to go - as good as it gets or can it be maintained?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will maintain our form until the end of the season, but where we finish is currently out of our hands.

Those of a sane mind will undoubtedly recognize the impressive turn-around in our fortunes this season. We have historically finished around the top 6 for the past decade, except for the shambolic last two seasons of the Martinez era. Koeman has restored parity this season. He is getting the best out of this squad. We will finish a minimum of 7th which considering where we were at this time last season, is a positive. So far so good.

Finishing 5th, 6th or 7th will not be seen as progress for Everton come May 2018. Anything less than that will be poor. The real work begins at the end of May. Ross and Rom's futures need to be sorted ASAP. We wont improve with this current squad. The summer transfer window will be make or break. Importantly, we need to get the new players in early. I'm not convinced by Koeman and Walsh's recruitment at the moment, so we will see.

I think Ross will stay but Rom will go. Replacing Rom will be a priority, along with a quality goalkeeper and a quality center-back. It wouldn't surprise me to see Joe Hart come in. Rooney will be a decent signing, especially with the Europa fixtures in mind. Keane looks like he would be a good replacement for Jagielka. I don't think we will get a like-for-like player in terms of replacing Lukaku, but I certainly see us bringing in two forwards who are capable of bagging double figures in the Premier league. At this moment I've no idea who that might be. Also, another playmaker is essential.

So we are looking at a GK, CD, a play-maker, and 2 attackers as a minimum. If we can get those 5 players in along with Rooney, then I'll see it as progress.

Agree with most of this but have to say Gueye and Schneiderlin have been massive hits, Lookman looks a great prospect, Williams has done a steady job, just a shame Bolasie never got to play in a much improved, fitter and more confident team. Still on the unsure list for me but overall more hits than misses for me.

I think we'll get turned over at the arsenal, as usual...

Oddly enough, I think this match is taking on great significance, regardless of whether or not it has any bearing on our final league position.

If we can finish this season with a win at a big away ground it will really boost our confidence going into the summer and will underscore the improvement we are witnessing on the pitch.

It will be like a Cup Final......The Big Away Win Trophy :dance:

...lots of media focus already on our game v Chelsea. It's almost as if some commentators are seeing it as Chelsea's major challenge; "gap down to four points and Chelsea have still got to visit Everton". I can imagine we'll have a few Spurs fans cheering us on.

Yes, I flew over to Ireland on Saturday night and went the pub in Donegal yesterday to watch the Chelsea game.

Lots of Irish Spuds in t' pub (pun intended :dance:) and they were delirious with the result obviously but when Sky started talking about their next game being at Goodison they were really buzzing and thinking it is proper on ;)

Oddly enough, I think this match is taking on great significance, regardless of whether or not it has any bearing on our final league position.

If we can finish this season with a win at a big away ground it will really boost our confidence going into the summer and will underscore the improvement we are witnessing on the pitch.

It will be like a Cup Final......The Big Away Win Trophy :dance:

Haha... Would love nothing more.
Nice silverware to take into the summer!!

Yes, I flew over to Ireland on Saturday night and went the pub in Donegal yesterday to watch the Chelsea game.

Lots of Irish Spuds in t' pub (pun intended :dance:) and they were delirious with the result obviously but when Sky started talking about their next game being at Goodison they were really buzzing and thinking it is proper on ;)

Donegal is a great spot, used to love going to buncrana when I had the chance.
Whoever was on talkspor* this morning reckons Chelsea are going to chin us, we'll see.

I have to disagree with those who say we bottle'd it at the pit. Loss of personell, morgan in the middle surrendered the midfield completely, as we have no replacement anywhere near his quality.also seamus missing meant we had less of a threat going forward.

Quite a big game tonight in our pursuit of 6th. Arsenal really do need a win to regain some confidence. If they slip up here I reckon they could really collapse. Win and they will probably go on their usual late surge.

hopefully next season we don't have to rely on other teams to implode in order to secure better league positions

Win by more than a goal against west Ham and we're 5th for a few days again.

I suspect it'll be nip and tuck all the way like that.

Yea you never know. Just don't fancy our away form this year. That's the next step next year. Any European football is very welcome tho, whatever way it comes

Status
Not open for further replies.