5 games to go - as good as it gets or can it be maintained?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will maintain our form until the end of the season, but where we finish is currently out of our hands.

Those of a sane mind will undoubtedly recognize the impressive turn-around in our fortunes this season. We have historically finished around the top 6 for the past decade, except for the shambolic last two seasons of the Martinez era. Koeman has restored parity this season. He is getting the best out of this squad. We will finish a minimum of 7th which considering where we were at this time last season, is a positive. So far so good.

Finishing 5th, 6th or 7th will not be seen as progress for Everton come May 2018. Anything less than that will be poor. The real work begins at the end of May. Ross and Rom's futures need to be sorted ASAP. We wont improve with this current squad. The summer transfer window will be make or break. Importantly, we need to get the new players in early. I'm not convinced by Koeman and Walsh's recruitment at the moment, so we will see.

I think Ross will stay but Rom will go. Replacing Rom will be a priority, along with a quality goalkeeper and a quality center-back. It wouldn't surprise me to see Joe Hart come in. Rooney will be a decent signing, especially with the Europa fixtures in mind. Keane looks like he would be a good replacement for Jagielka. I don't think we will get a like-for-like player in terms of replacing Lukaku, but I certainly see us bringing in two forwards who are capable of bagging double figures in the Premier league. At this moment I've no idea who that might be. Also, another playmaker is essential.

So we are looking at a GK, CD, a play-maker, and 2 attackers as a minimum. If we can get those 5 players in along with Rooney, then I'll see it as progress.

I think we will maintain our form until the end of the season, but where we finish is currently out of our hands.

Those of a sane mind will undoubtedly recognize the impressive turn-around in our fortunes this season. We have historically finished around the top 6 for the past decade, except for the shambolic last two seasons of the Martinez era. Koeman has restored parity this season. He is getting the best out of this squad. We will finish a minimum of 7th which considering where we were at this time last season, is a positive. So far so good.

Finishing 5th, 6th or 7th will not be seen as progress for Everton come May 2018. Anything less than that will be poor. The real work begins at the end of May. Ross and Rom's futures need to be sorted ASAP. We wont improve with this current squad. The summer transfer window will be make or break. Importantly, we need to get the new players in early. I'm not convinced by Koeman and Walsh's recruitment at the moment, so we will see.

I think Ross will stay but Rom will go. Replacing Rom will be a priority, along with a quality goalkeeper and a quality center-back. It wouldn't surprise me to see Joe Hart come in. Rooney will be a decent signing, especially with the Europa fixtures in mind. Keane looks like he would be a good replacement for Jagielka. I don't think we will get a like-for-like player in terms of replacing Lukaku, but I certainly see us bringing in two forwards who are capable of bagging double figures in the Premier league. At this moment I've no idea who that might be. Also, another playmaker is essential.

So we are looking at a GK, CD, a play-maker, and 2 attackers as a minimum. If we can get those 5 players in along with Rooney, then I'll see it as progress.

The board must provide a big backing in funds for Koeman. He needs his players in.

That's down to those ahead of the defence looking lively and us defending in greater numbers. It's a system thing. The defenders themselves as a unit are poor and need a massive upgrade - I include the GK in that too.
Thank god we got an upgrade of a manager,the last one couldn't organise a Gk and a back line to save his life

Results like today (and I expect Arsenal to scoop up 3 points tomorrow) were in my mind when I started this thread yesterday.

Towards the end of the season these clubs know how to hoover up the points and a three game advantage in the case of United and Arsenal and a 6 point advantage in the case of *them* are very difficult to overcome.

Results like today (and I expect Arsenal to scoop up 3 points tomorrow) were in my mind when I started this thread yesterday.

Towards the end of the season these clubs know how to hoover up the points and a three game advantage in the case of United and Arsenal and a 6 point advantage in the case of *them* are very difficult to overcome.

I think we'll get turned over at the arsenal, as usual...

I think we'll get turned over at the arsenal, as usual...
I do too. It'll be the actual or de facto last game of the Wenger era and whether it's declared or not (and whether the supporters have been/continue to be against his staying on or not) they will be fired up to get a win to mark the occasion.

10 from the last 15 points would set one or both of Arsenal and United a target to get past. It's 6th or 7th for Everton this season. A good effort and we go again next season hopefully with money well spent in the transfer market to solve the obvious holes that will occur through sales.

As I said,it could be fruitful but I wouldn't be a fan of any increase in long balls if that's what it would entail. Watched Willian Jose at the game yesterday. Strong and reasonably quick with a good touch and shields the ball well. Decent passer, but wasted some good chances.

would he be a good signing in your opinion mate?

...lots of media focus already on our game v Chelsea. It's almost as if some commentators are seeing it as Chelsea's major challenge; "gap down to four points and Chelsea have still got to visit Everton". I can imagine we'll have a few Spurs fans cheering us on.

You end up where you deserve to more often than not! We will finish 7th or possibly 6th if the Arsenal player finally twist the knife in Wengers back. That is where this currrent squad deserve to be, based on our performance against those teams above us.
We wont finish higher / win trophies until they can instill a winning mentality. Our home form tis season is hopefully the start of that, make Goodison a place where we dont lose, the team stops fearing teams coming to our place, build on the confidence that should bring to start taking the fight to the rest of the top teams grounds and we are in business.

The biggest differnece between Everton and the likes of ManU and rs is that those clubs genuinely feel they belong in the CL and amongst trophies and are genuinely offended that they are not. Whereas with us, it is something we aspire to! It is that difference in mindset that is our biggets challenge.

...lots of media focus already on our game v Chelsea. It's almost as if some commentators are seeing it as Chelsea's major challenge; "gap down to four points and Chelsea have still got to visit Everton". I can imagine we'll have a few Spurs fans cheering us on.
It's their latest 'sell'. They'll be building it up in the next fortnight as a 'title decider', I'm confident we will give them a very tough game.

Status
Not open for further replies.