5 games to go - as good as it gets or can it be maintained?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To improve we'd need better than 5th and 73 points.

Still, we have secured the record number of successive home wins since the 90s trophy.

Whilst bettering 72 points is the ultimate barometer of improvement I think it's a bit too much for people to have expected that from us this season. Clubs aim to initially beat their total from the previous season not one 3 years ago.

Whilst bettering 72 points is the ultimate barometer of improvement I think it's a bit too much for people to have expected that from us this season. Clubs aim to initially beat their total from the previous season not one 3 years ago.
I didn't expect that to happen or demand it. I stated it was a total we wouldn't get again until we are properly financed.

But seeing as the issue has been brought up: maybe now with three games to go in a very decent season the fact we're on just 58 points will hammer home just how much more it takes to really pose a threat to the elite clubs above us? Sure as eggs are eggs we'll need to smash right through that 70 point barrier again in order to reach a CL spot...and even then it might not be enough as it wasnt last time.

Stil: "72 points eh ladz...what a laff...who cares eh ladz?! Lol...etc etc ".

I didn't expect that to happen or demand it. I stated it was a total we wouldn't get again until we are properly financed.

But seeing as the issue has been brought up: maybe now with three games to go in a very decent season the fact we're on just 58 points will hammer home just how much more it takes to really pose a threat to the elite clubs above us? Sure as eggs are eggs we'll need to smash right through that 70 point barrier again in order to reach a CL spot...and even then it might not be enough as it wasnt last time.

The prediction of 4 points for the remaining games is on unfortunhately- the 3-0 scoreline today flattered Chelsea a little bit, but let's see if any new under 23 players get a game or a subs appearence or if we revert back to Robles etc it's just a formality as 7th is guaranteed !
Do not want to see Kone near the bench!

@Eggs

Three ganes to go and we're on 58 points.

In an attempt to show how much we need to improve by this crucial stage of the season I thought it might be an idea to look at the last decade and where we were at this juncture...and it doesn't make good reading. Basically we aren't at the races.

2007/08 54 points
2008/09 61 points
2009/10 56 points
2010/11 54 points
2011/12 50 points
2012/13 59 points
2013/14 68 points
2014/15 44 points
2015/16 41 points
2016/17 58 points

In that time period only in one of our seasons above could the eventual final 4th place season points total have been reached at this point - and even there only in 5 of the last 10 seasons.

In short: we aren't getting a CL spot any time soon. Without an injection of cash that sees mega spending this summer and next we are stuck on this rung below the real challengers at the top.

Three ganes to go and we're on 58 points.

In an attempt to show how much we need to improve by this crucial stage of the season I thought it might be an idea to look at the last decade and where we were at this juncture...and it doesn't make good reading. Basically we aren't at the races.

2007/08 54 points
2008/09 61 points
2009/10 56 points
2010/11 54 points
2011/12 50 points
2012/13 59 points
2013/14 68 points
2014/15 44 points
2015/16 41 points
2016/17 58 points

In that time period only in one of our seasons above could the eventual final 4th place season points total have been reached at this point - and even there only in 5 of the last 10 seasons.

In short: we aren't getting a CL spot any time soon. Without an injection of cash that sees mega spending this summer and next we are stuck on this rung below the real challengers at the top.

Injection of cash and/or bolder attacking away from home or in big games

Injection of cash and/or bolder attacking away from home or in big games
...even then it's only a good chance we get 4th.

It's a mountain to climb for a club with ridiculously low net spending.

It wont happen until we get major spending on the squad. I feel sure about that.

...even then it's only a good chance we get 4th.

It's a mountain to climb for a club with ridiculously low net spending.

It wont happen until we get major spending on the squad. I feel sure about that.

I am not sure net spend is so important, because buying well at whatever price is the priority, but for sure a window in which we spend a good amount above any incomings would go a long way to reassure we have stepped up a few levels in the players recruitment dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.