1995-2020 = the longest barren spell without silverware in Everton's history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football is a massive industry. If you want your team to be a success you need serious money. In any case, it's an industry ultimately that's controlled by fans.

Seems like you’re trying to convince yourself. I don’t want Everton to be bought by a morally dubious individual or corporation because it matters that the club I support is representative of my views. Odd it wouldn’t be for you

They've got supporters exactly like that too. The difference is the players. They've got some of the best in the world and we haven't.

All their great European nights come because of the players on the pitch. Not the fans. I saw Real Madrid batter them 3-0 at Anfield a few years back. All the singing and scarf waving didn't make a difference because they were crap.

Not totally convinced. The players they have like Henderson, Matip, Milner, Wjnaldum, Origi....we’ve got players far better than them. Yes they’ve got Salah and Von [Poor language removed]....but we have quality too. It’s more about the mentality for me, on the pitch, in the stands, in the board room...all through the fabric of the Club.

@mikeh72 , @davek and others are absolutely right here.We are now in the utterly rotten position of not simply hoping that we can bridge the gap with City / the RS, but that the likes of Arsenal and United can recover enough to challenge or disrupt them.

Here's a list of PL winners since 1992 https://www.totalsportek.com/list/english-premier-league-winners-since-1992/ . In 27 years there has only been one truly "shock" winner, Leicester. Blackburn were incredibly well funded. Even in the 80s prior to the PL, we won it, and they won it, and both clubs were probably the wealthiest around. You now need to compete with sovereign states and mega-billionaire consortia to have any realistic chance.

This won't be a hugely popular thing to say but it's got the point where actually, Everton now spend a morally repugnant amount of money to do absolutely nothing every season. There have been two moments for me in relatively recent times that have reinforced this; Heitinga's second season, where we spent over £80m in wages. I remember the season finishing and thinking "what was the point in that". The second was when Allardyce took the squad to Dubai. Not only did it feel like a total waste of resources and pampering on a team that had performed hopelessly, we had that infamous photo of Davies and DCL farting around in the hotel lobby in ridiculous multi-coloured shirts. They were having a wonderful time, young millionaires who... just so happened to have been midway through completely appalling seasons.

Let's say Davies gets around £2m a season for wages and bonuses now he has a new contract. What does he actually contribute to the organisation? Would we actually miss him if, say, we took him out of it, saving that £2m? No, we wouldn't. There's no point in this being a relative measure - it's still £2m. Take this out of the mad bubble of professional sports and it's totally mad. And we aren't paying him to grow the business, or to get us challenging for and winning trophies. We're not even really paying him to stay still, as last season we showed we could do that easily without him.

You can see why the Dutch clubs - who tend to have a far better moral steer on this sort of thing - have just sacked it off in terms of mega-spending. According to Wikipedia, Daley Blind is the most expensive ever Dutch incoming purchase at about £13m. Frenkie De Jong was sold for 75m euros. We don't have to fuel this gluttony, and ultimately, we cannot compete by spending in this current football cycle.
Well said, I always knew it was something to do with Tom Davies. Garbage

There should always be that desire to see Everton win stuff.We are way off challenging for the league title.But that shower parading a trophy around the city yesterday.It kind of reinforced that desire and demand,that Everton finally land a trophy themselves.Hopefully Silva will be the man to do just that.But the Bramley Moore dock development, is our last hope of rejoining the elite.Moshiri better come good on that front.He won't be given the easy ride that Kenwright got, if it all goes fubar imo.

What part of it isn’t true? We’ve gone from a side that battles relegation to one that’s now disappointed with 8th. We’ve finished in the top 6 numerous times in the last 15 years including once in the top 4 all with less resources than we have now. We’ve finished ahead of United, Spurs, City, Liverpool multiple times in that period all with less resources than we have now.

Some of the top 6 are on the up currently, some are on the down. The ones that are on the up are only a managerial exit from heading down. Good teams don’t stay good forever.

If we position ourselves as consistent challengers to the top 6. Getting European football on a regular basis, recruiting well every window, moving to the new stadium, there will be a season when one if not more of the top 6 will be off their game and like Spurs did we will have an opportunity to get champions league football.

Throwing the toys out the pram because Liverpool won a cup and saying it’s impossible to catch teams managed by Solskjaer with Smalling Jones and Young in their 11, or some teams we just blasted for fun at Goodison, will not solve anything. FFS Leicester won a league after escaping relegation, we got top 4 over Benitez’s European champs with Marcus Bent leading the line. We finished ahead of a Liverpool team containing different combos of Gerrard Torres Suárez and Coutinho two seasons in a row with Darren Gibson and Phil Neville in midfield.

Breaking the top 6 isn’t impossible. If we recruit smartly, and make smart managerial appointments it will happen, every piece of evidence in the history of the league recently says that to be the case. Acquisition of talent beats pure money being chucked around.

We need to shake off this stupid recent habit of following some decent building with a relegation season. Silva seemed to a stave that off last season to avoid the fate of Koeman. It’s not wildly incomprehensible that we could be looking at the season after next being back in the Europa league with a manager in situ, a squad that has had the deadwood removed and players that know the managers philosophy inside out. We’ve already in recent weeks smacked both of the Europa league finalists at home and played well away against them. Why couldn’t we be in a position given a lucky draw of winning the Europa? Or picking up a domestic cup?

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility at all. We have everything in place to make the top 6 a top 7 if Brands and Silva execute better than their counterparts in Leicester or Wolves. If that happens then every team int hat top bracket had had some form of success recently as they’ve waxed and waned in fortune. There’d be absolutely no reason that wouldn’t happen to us.
I completely agree with this. The big 6 need to be dumber than us, of course. And they could eventually steal whoever the architect is of whatever small club is performing well, but there's opportunity out there. An innovating and smart club can compete with the big boys right now, no question.

47996893421_362e42b723_o.png

Seems like you’re trying to convince yourself. I don’t want Everton to be bought by a morally dubious individual or corporation because it matters that the club I support is representative of my views. Odd it wouldn’t be for you

Football is all about money now.If we ever get the money to properly compete and win trophies, then i won't be complaining.

Lot of truth in that. I think the vast majority of the fanbase is inhibited. We are easily embarrassed. Liverpool fans have an almost yank quality in that they are not. They have always had a sunnier disposition hence the colour, flags, banners, songs, chants etc. at their games. Anfield is uplifting, Goodison much less so. We attempted a mosaic once at the Gwladys street (its about 10 years ago, I cant remember the game) and it was pitiful. They also expect more (hence they demand more). We expect very little, and we obsess over them (this is something I’ve never subscribed to, such as watching them play in the desperate hope they will lose...rather than feed such misery/negativity just don’t watch them, like I didn’t when I went for a bike ride during the Champions League final).

Relates directly to what I’ve just wrote. There are two completely different mentalities among the fanbases.

Yeah there are two competently different mentalities and fanbases.And i wouldn't change that for anything.Goodison when it's at it's angriest and most boisterous, blows anfield out of the water atmosphere wise.If you find anfield so uplifting, then why don't you just buy a season ticket for there then?

20 years ago Manchester City were struggling in the third tier of English football. Their city rivals Manchester United had just won a historic treble. There was no realistic prospect of Man City ever making it to the same division as their more illustrious rivals, let alone challenging their supremacy.

Anything is possible in football.

Keep the faith.

Good response lad. We just saw what happens at goodison when everyone is buzzing, the draw against Liverpool started it, then beat Arsenal, Chelsea and United scored 8 and let in 0, if goodison was rocking like that from the start of the season it's quite possible that we could go unbeaten at home all season. But what could happen is the first game away to Sheffield or one of the weaker sides ends up a draw and our fans instantly turn septic and Goodison is like a morgue next game which may lead to another negative result then it snowballs and takes a while to win the fans over again by then it's too late in the season to achieve anything. The fans effect the players there's no doubt about it in my mind and our fans have a negative effect on our players, look at Coleman he scored (can't remember against who) but he ran over to our supporters with his hands at his ears that's usually done by opposition players who've had the piss taken out of them all game.

Totally agree. As fans we need to take a long, hard look at ourselves.

There's a reason that teams hate playing at Anfield and it's not because Henderson is a young Zidane.

I saw Everton in the 80s...I can go to my grave happy that Everton delivered. It's a little too tough to compete these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.