1969/70 League Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at that game13 at the time, use to go the games on my own back then, get the 12or 12A from page moss to lower breck rd and walk down daunting times, the walk back even worse. Remember getting into the Annie road end early found a big space behind a crush barrier thought great this will do for me it was only when the crowd surged forward and I got crushed against the barrier that I realised why there was a big space, learnt my lesson though.
Had exactly the same experience at Anfield aged about 11, praying they wouldn't score any more.

Used to have a £1 each bet between our little gang on what the attendance would be announced as, nearest was the winner and pocketed a nice little £20 or so. Ground would be rammed and 28k would be official attendance. #GoodTimes lollollol
If you believe everyone on here who says they got in for free, I'm surprised the official number was over 1000

Used to have a £1 each bet between our little gang on what the attendance would be announced as, nearest was the winner and pocketed a nice little £20 or so. Ground would be rammed and 28k would be official attendance. #GoodTimes lollollol
Had a great conversation years ago with The late Gordon West who told me the players wages were topped up by a pound every 1000 the gate was over 40000,he would often look around when play was at the other end and think wow must be 60k in today,another 20 quid!!this particular game we were three or four up and it's near the end,westy must have been having a crowd glance and one flies in from thirty yards,his great mate labone rollocked him,"you were counting the crowd and you've gone and cost us our clean sheet bonus now"!! different times eh?!!

I may be wrong here guys but if I remember correctly in the days of Westie in goal the players got a bonus for if the crowd was 40 thousand +. I read this somewhere that Gordon was always asking Labs how is the crowd looking.
When he joined he had to buy real goalkeeping gloves out of his own wages as the ones provide by the club were very poor - how times change - Bally wages was justvabove a top Ford worker on the production line the first £50 per week men ......they had a harder job but he was a world class footballer needing sponsorship in his white boots (which were uncomfortable he dyed his good ones white , and got caught out) :D It rained and the whitepaint washed offlol

A brilliant watch,and thanks for the link.

I was stuck at Colomendy Camp in North Wales with school, at the time of us being crowned Champions.

I remember how we behaved towards our RS mates wit due humility and respect= NOT!!!!
A great watch except for the lack of footage particularly our 2-0 win at the pit which was televised, but tears were shed listening to my hero relate the story of that team ;)

Had a great conversation years ago with The late Gordon West who told me the players wages were topped up by a pound every 1000 the gate was over 40000,he would often look around when play was at the other end and think wow must be 60k in today,another 20 quid!!this particular game we were three or four up and it's near the end,westy must have been having a crowd glance and one flies in from thirty yards,his great mate labone rollocked him,"you were counting the crowd and you've gone and cost us our clean sheet bonus now"!! different times eh?!!
My older brother told me a story about the comedy duo Labby and Westy were away at Blackburn and thick fog dropped the ref abandoned the game ......as it was a right peasouper Labby sneaked the team off leaving Westy stood put ther on his own thinking the game was still going on ignoring the home fans shouting hey mate it's abandoned getting to leave his goalline - he thought it was a trick until a trainer 5 minutes later went to get the fuming Westy lol

Here is a photo of that squad -1969/70- nice trophy then too - I can name them but no need -

Go on Joey mate, fella on right looking at photo of Roger Kenyon?
Just had Brunch -B Row L- TO - R Joe Royle - Labone - Westy - Rankin -Sandy Brown - John Hurst -
Middle row L-R Wilf Dixon Trainer - Jimmy Husband - Tommy Wright - Roger Kenyon - Howard Kendall - Keith Newton -
Front row L To R - John Hurst - Tommy Jackson - Manager The Catt - Alan Ball the Captain - Alan Whittle - Colin Harvey {the white Pele}

Just had Brunch -B Row L- TO - R Joe Royle - Labone - Westy - Rankin -Sandy Brown - John Hurst -
Middle row L-R Wilf Dixon Trainer - Jimmy Husband - Tommy Wright - Roger Kenyon - Howard Kendall - Keith Newton -
Front row L To R - John Hurst - Tommy Jackson - Manager The Catt - Alan Ball the Captain - Alan Whittle - Colin Harvey {the white Pele}
Have another look Joey,i reckon that's Steve Melledew,highly rated kid we signed from Rochdale I think,never made it,doh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.