1969/70 League Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bally leaving tore the heart out of the side :(
The side Ball left had fallen away very badly, finishing 14th in 1970/71 and was on the way to finishing 15th in the season he left.

I know, because I spent most of August 70 to October 71 following Everton all over the country while on a long working holiday.

There was very little heart left when he went to Arsenal.

The side Ball left had fallen away very badly, finishing 14th in 1970/71 and was on the way to finishing 15th in the season he left.

I know, because I spent most of August 70 to October 71 following Everton all over the country while on a long working holiday.

There was very little heart left when he went to Arsenal.
Yes, I recall that year very well, what I meant was there was no chance of rebuilding anything once Bally was sold! most other clubs would have kept the holy trinity together and rebuilt around them!

Catterick signed the likes of Keith and Henry Newton, Mike Bernard, Dave Lawson, Bernie Wright, John McLaughlin, Dai Davies, Rod Belfitt, and Joe Harper in the two years after winning the league, makes you shudder.
Only John Connelly came close to the required standard.

Catterick signed the likes of Keith and Henry Newton, Mike Bernard, Dave Lawson, Bernie Wright, John McLaughlin, Dai Davies, Rod Belfitt, and Joe Harper in the two years after winning the league, makes you shudder.
Swapping David Johnson for Rod Belfitt was baffling. Belfitt was a journeyman, while Johnson was a good player.

Why though? What happened to Catterick and (I presume) the scouting operation that went from identifying & signing some of the best players in the country (and world) to..well... that bunch? Because I was told that the 1970 WC caused us problems with players coming back exhausted but now I really am not sure. I started watching Everton in the 70s with the players mentioned and they were frequently awful. It’s a shocking piece of information but it’s correct. We didn’t sign anyone great from 68 onwards...

All the way through the sixties, a very consistent period for the blues, Catterick was not afraid to introduce young players to the team. They played alongside the very astute signings he nearly always made (Ernie Hunt might be an exception) and it was done one at a time.
Consequently, Wright, Hurst, Labone, Harvey, Husband, Royle, Kenyon and to a lesser extent Whittle had the experience to form the backbone of a championship winning side.
Fast forward to three years later, the championship side had broken up for various reasons, poor signings were made the team relied heavily on the quality of Kendall and John Hurst and the youngsters were thrown in en masse.
Lyons, Darracott, Buckley, Jones, Seargent, Kenny, Johnson, Scott and Styles.
Some decent players there but struggled because of the inferior quality of the elder statesman around them.
Did we have a scouting system then or was it just Harry dolng the miles midweek or was it just hubris?

Selling Ball was unforgivable but to be fair to the Catt, injuries played a big part in the break up of that team. Tommy Wright, only 28 when he finished, Labone forced into retirement, Harvey with a succession of injuries, Morrissey in 71/2. Unfortunately too many of the replacements he brought in didn't work out: the two Newtons, Lawson and Dai, Mick Bernard, Tiger McLaughlin. And then we have his second biggest error (well third if you go back to Bobby Collins): swapping David Johnson for Rod Belfitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.