1969/70 League Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was only 8 at the time, but I remember the 2-0 win at Anfield towards the end of the season, which practically clinched the title, and my mum just being really happy about it.

I celebrated with lots of chocolate.
Was at that game13 at the time, use to go the games on my own back then, get the 12or 12A from page moss to lower breck rd and walk down daunting times, the walk back even worse. Remember getting into the Annie road end early found a big space behind a crush barrier thought great this will do for me it was only when the crowd surged forward and I got crushed against the barrier that I realised why there was a big space, learnt my lesson though.

Selling Bally is one of the darkest and most ludicrous decisions in the history of the club.
Maybe, but that was halfway through the 1971/72 season. The 1970/71 season had been very disappointing and he played all of that.

There were probably other factors, but Harry Catterick bought Henry Newton and moved Kendall out of midfield breaking up the holy trinity.

I was at the first match that he made that change and we lost 4-0 at Arsenal.

My old man reckoned that Groucho mate, apparently we were spectacular in 1968-69 but became more ruthless in 1969-70.
Facing - Giles - Bremner - Hunter - Jack Charlton - Brian Clough was spot on - yes Leeds could play football but they were Dirty barstwerds also - Revie was proved to be a devious rogue too.....
Their playing surface was a mud bath too they certainly like to rough teams up upfront they were dynamic wiy \Mick jones and sniffer Alan Clarke .... HK rated Billy Bremner - but Giles was a nasty player - no need for it as he could really play....

Maybe, but that was halfway through the 1971/72 season. The 1970/71 season had been very disappointing and he played all of that.

There were probably other factors, but Harry Catterick bought Henry Newton and moved Kendall out of midfield breaking up the holy trinity.

I was at the first match that he made that change and we lost 4-0 at Arsenal.
What upset me was the way catterick wasted Bally's windfall = Henry Newton = past his best days, and the famous Bernie Wright - his health , and eyesight must have been poor....

Just had a look at some of the attendances for that season. Regularly had more than 50k at Goodison. 58k for the West Brom title decider.

Used to love standing on the terraces. Absolute bedlam when we scored.
I often tell of watching as a lad and I could lift my feet off the ground and not go down , it was so packed .I think the most in there was 64,000 or thereabouts .I moved to the paddock after a while as I was fed up running down and then back up backwards in the Gwladys street end .
Great video and great players ,I too thought the side was as good as the mid eighties ,at least for their time .

Just had a look at some of the attendances for that season. Regularly had more than 50k at Goodison. 58k for the West Brom title decider.

Used to love standing on the terraces. Absolute bedlam when we scored.

Aren't those attendances much lower than the real figures?
I'm not old enough to know but have read that clubs often announced much lower attendance figures to avoid paying tax on the full total?
I think someone on here was saying how a favourite joke for him and his mates was to laugh at the attendence figures announced at half time.

What a winger Morrissey really was .... the fullbacks must have crapped themselves when he came at them - as Joe stated very unrated skill wise too another blue who deserved a cap for England.....
Clothie later raved about John Robertson - Morrissey was even better than him imo.....
Boss, boss, player, and what a hard case too! Much though I liked Pat Van Den Hauwe, had he played against Moggsy and elbowed him or the like, he would never have finished the game conscious!

Status
Not open for further replies.