Match Thread Everton vs Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one was expecting DCL to get a knee injury 3 days before the game, and ftr we’ve been trying to sign one all summer as well as other targets
We have made pathetic attempts to sign a striker - most of the effort went on chasing Cornet but we baulked at paying the £17.5 million to trigger the release clause. Despite seeming to be quite willing to spend twice that much on an inexperienced midfield player.

Hope he had a speedy recovery
I hope so mate. NHS are fantastic but still madly understaffed. They where worried about the blood flow to his hand so needed to transfer him hospitals. Would of been a 3 hour wait so asked if I could drive him. Got to the A&E doors and all the doctors came rushing out. Massive eye opener to it all today.

Anyway back in topic, only conceding 1 against a top 4 team is a bonus.

We have made pathetic attempts to sign a striker - most of the effort went on chasing Cornet but we baulked at paying the £17.5 million to trigger the release clause. Despite seeming to be quite willing to spend twice that much on an inexperienced midfield player.
No one wanted to pay the release clause, West Ham only went back and paid it because they lost out on Onana (who is highly rated) to us

I honestly feel like it's pointless rocking up to any game against the top 6.

The Premier League have a product to sell and the bloke from Cameroon who's watching it on the tele does not want Everton to win.

The Super League can't happen soon enough.
Yup. Wife and I went to watch the game at a pub in the city and it was full of Chelsea, Spurs, and Liverpool fans. I saw one person wearing a Newcastle shirt and another wearing a Wolves. After 5 minutes of being there we had people of said teams listed above (besides Newcastle and Wolves) telling us how glad they were Everton is staying up and how they hope they turn things around. You would have thought I was in a wheel chair with a sign that said “I have terminal cancer” by the way they were talking about Everton. The PL did a good job marketing to Americans, they love the top clubs.

No one wanted to pay the release clause, West Ham only went back and paid it because they lost out on Onana (who is highly rated) to us
We needed a striker and didn't get one. If we could only afford Cornet OR Onana, why did we prioritise a midfield player over buying a strike

Positives .. good to see 2 of our CB actually talking to each other and the other defenders, organized and compact
Negatives .. the injuries to Mina and Godfrey

Overall .. we never really posed much of a threat to them and quite a dull game really

Onwards!

I hope so mate. NHS are fantastic but still madly understaffed. They where worried about the blood flow to his hand so needed to transfer him hospitals. Would of been a 3 hour wait so asked if I could drive him. Got to the A&E doors and all the doctors came rushing out. Massive eye opener to it all today.

Anyway back in topic, only conceding 1 against a top 4 team is a bonus.
He’ll be in good hands mate. They are amazing people who work in the NHS.

Iwobi not the problem today but I understand.

Having him stay at home with those defensive responsibilities is a waste of his best qualities. He wants to be getting forward and having some freedom to use his size and pace to go past people. Keeping a shape in a double pivot isn’t his best use.
Not dissing iwobi, as think he is performing for Lamps, but we need a real midfield. He, like doucoure, need to be in a 3 with 2 behind him. Ideally, it will be him OR doucoure who plays. Not both.

Positives .. good to see 2 of our CB actually talking to each other and the other defenders, organized and compact
Negatives .. the injuries to Mina and Godfrey

Overall .. we never really posed much of a threat to them and quite a dull game really

Onwards!
I hope those 2 defenders that were talking weren't Godfrey and mina, as other wise that's a double negative.

However a double negative makes a positive ?

We needed a striker and didn't get one. If we could only afford Cornet OR Onana, why did we prioritise a midfield player over buying a strike
Because our midfield options are pish, and we were easily cut through last season. Bringing Onana in (on payment terms fitting the budget) and Gana back helps rectify that just like bringing in Tarkowski and going for Coady sorts our defensive weaknesses from last year

If we’d have neglected them areas, people would have still moaned, that’s where the DoF can’t win, going all in on a striker might have left us in a situation of playing Keane at the back and one of Gomes or Davies starting in Midfield

Because our midfield options are pish, and we were easily cut through last season. Bringing Onana in (on payment terms fitting the budget) and Gana back helps rectify that just like bringing in Tarkowski and going for Coady sorts our defensive weaknesses from last year

If we’d have neglected them areas, people would have still moaned, that’s where the DoF can’t win, going all in on a striker might have left us in a situation of playing Keane at the back and one of Gomes or Davies starting in Midfield
We obviously had a desperate need for a striker once Richarlison was sold. And we knew he was going from the end of last season.
So I agree with your points about strengthening central midfield and defence but Thelwell seems to have totally ignored the fact that we cannot win games without a striker. Obviously, nobody at the club rates Simms and nobody at any club rates Rondon.
Dear Kevin- BUY A STRIKER
P.S. You are already about two weeks too late

Really don't like Chelsea fans. Never thought they deserved to be classed as a big club, and hate their cockiness, probably least favourite of any London club and that is saying something, the greasy try hards

Status
Not open for further replies.