Mykolenko 7
McNeil 5
Gray 4
Gordon 4
Iwobi 7
Dele 6
Vinegar 6

I might have been a bit generous with McNeil

Iwobi not the problem today but I understand.

Having him stay at home with those defensive responsibilities is a waste of his best qualities. He wants to be getting forward and having some freedom to use his size and pace to go past people. Keeping a shape in a double pivot isn’t his best use.
This is 100% spot on.

Add to this that Doucoure isn't at his best in a double pivot either (cue all the usual suspects screaming for Doucoure to be shot at dawn), the fact that they are currently our two best midfielders and it starts looking as if we should consider a formation that doesn't rely on a 2-CM midfield.

We have Gana and Onana due to arrive shortly, and we've just seen two centre backs go down hurt. Hopefully these factors all combined will persuade Frank to set up in a 433 in future. Personally I'd hope to see the following start against Villa next weekend:

Pickford
Patterson - Holgate - Tarkowski - Mykolenko
Iwobi - Onana - Gana
McNeil - New Face - Gordon

My personal rating
Pickford 5
Godfrey N/a
Holgate7
Mina 7
Tarkowski 7
Patterson 7
Mykolenko 7
McNeil 5
Gray 5
Gordon 6
Iwobi 8
Dele 5
Vinegar 6

We had something like 13 points from our first 5 games last season and ended in a relegation scrap. I'm not too worried losing to Chelsea first day and I believe if the right signings are made then we can have a pretty decent mid table season with an eye to the future.

Better than I expected. We deserved a draw. I thought Chelsea for all their talent were poor and created little. Serious problems up front as expected. Gordon is truly awful and Gray not a lot better. Not Gordon's fault in a way as he is no target man and all the balls he got in the air from Pickford made him look even worse. Signings please - urgent.

We were absolutely crap but we’ll get better and so will Everton. That was a nailed on yawn bore draw without the penalty (and it was a pen imho)…

Status
Not open for further replies.