Goodison Park and naming rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calm down.

Just heard an Echo pod cast, all things Mosh and Stadium and that. Will link it when I can be bothered.

Anyrate. The subject of Everton doing a naming rights deal for GP was booted about, reason being to boost the coffers, (significantly) and hence giving more rope to Koeman, and a possible boost to any new ground costs.

Now, not one Blue would WANT the old girl newly named, but IF, a sympathetic deal was done, lets see, USM Goodison Park as a stab in the dark, could you hold your nose till BM rocked up, given that the cash could be pretty important?

Lets face it, everyone would call it Goodison anyrate.

If this has been a thread before, expect so, soz Boss.

So long as we get good money for it, i'm not really arsed what Goodison's sponsored name is. Hell, for 8 million or whatever, they can call it the Del Monte Boss Pineapple Pizza Topping for all I care, and if they want to paint pictures of pineapple rings on the stadium roofs for aerial shots to pick up, then that's fine too.

Basically, I'm easy, but that's for another thread.

So get your coat on and get moving, 'cos we don't know the meaning of losing
C'mon c'mon, get down to the B&M Bargains Dome, wooh!

I think any naming rights has to be done for the short term in mind. Sell the rights to the highest bidder for Goodison but then a few years down the line move out and go to the big shiny new place. Make that sponsor corporate like the Etihad, Emirates etc something we can associate as the name of the stadium rather than getting a jarg branding there like the giff gaff ground or pizza hut arena.

TLDR; I'm happy selling the name of the old lady off if it pays for a new bigger and better one.

TLDR; I'm happy selling the name of the old lady off if it pays for a new bigger and better one.

I'm happy selling the name of Goodison and if we have to sell Lukaku and Barkley and pretty much anything else* then it's ok by me as long as we get a new bigger and better one by the docks.

*As long as we remain best of the rest that is.

For £500m for 3 years I would tolerate:

1. The George Foreman, Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grill Machine Stadium
  2. The Alisher Usmanov Arena
  3. The Medellin Cartel Stadium
  4. USM Goodison Park This would be my preference obviously

For free I would tolerate:
  1. The King Kenny Stinks of Piss Arena

No. Its a disgusting idea.

1892 to the present as Goodison Park and to besmirch that to squeeze a few quid out to stick in Lukaku's pocket or waste on another Bolasie is criminal.

Ok so what if we get a 10 million a year deal for five years all up front now and spend 50 million on a top class playmaker which we've been crying out for for years, is that acceptable then?

As long as it's done tastefully and the look of the ground isn't really changed I couldn't give a damn what it's called on match of the day! The premier league is officially the Barclays Premier League. Do any of us actually care about that?

Ok so what if we get a 10 million a year deal for five years all up front now and spend 50 million on a top class playmaker which we've been crying out for for years, is that acceptable then?

As long as it's done tastefully and the look of the ground isn't really changed I couldn't give a damn what it's called on match of the day! The premier league is officially the Barclays Premier League. Do any of us actually care about that?
No, it's just not right. Imagine if Liverpool did it with Anfield, we'd be pissing ourselves.

It's a terrible idea.

WTF, we get a billionaire owner and then see this abomination forced upon us. What's the point of having an owner with commercial contacts and his own cash if we're going down this route? If Kenwright had advocated it there'd have been a storm of protest, and rightly so.

Sorry. No, nay, never to that idea.

No, it's just not right. Imagine if Liverpool did it with Anfield, we'd be pissing ourselves.

It's a terrible idea.

WTF, we get a billionaire owner and then see this abomination forced upon us. What's the point of having an owner with commercial contacts and his own cash if we're going down this route? If Kenwright had advocated it there'd have been a storm of protest, and rightly so.

Because to put in money without breaking FFP you need to be creative. City's owners sponsor their own ground so that they can pile more money into the club. Do you think their fans were crying about visiting the Etihad after they won their second league title or reached the semi final of the champions league?

It's a terrible idea.

Agreed.

It's a terrible idea.

It's interesting though, only arsenal and city out of the so called 'big clubs' only have their naming rights. However Spurs are looking for one for their new stadium and I'm sure Chelsea won't be far behind with their redevelopment when they are finished. You referred to the RS, both them and united blow the others out of the water with their 'world wide brand' and huge commercial deals and obviously can resist (although I'm surprised) naming rights to OT and Anfield.
We might have a billionaire owner but because of FFP he can't just plough money into the club. He has to do this indirectly (like city) and if it means one of his associated companies sponsoring the stadium to secure us extra finances for players I'm all for it. As has been alluded to we'll all just refer to it as goodison anyway.

It's a terrible idea.

Erm, you know its not happening, right Dave?

Because to put in money without breaking FFP you need to be creative. City's owners sponsor their own ground so that they can pile more money into the club. Do you think their fans were crying about visiting the Etihad after they won their second league title or reached the semi final of the champions league?
A new stadium at a different location is a different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.