Homepage Update: Martinez on “the new era” for transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see what he'll do in keeper department
Indeed mate.

I hope the press talk of Marshall is nads, we need a genuine top drawer keeper if we're going to threaten the top sides in this league, especially given how open we play.

A top keeper is as essential as a 20+ goal a season striker, as they can win you just as many points

Personally I'd like to see us go for Forster

Hey lads/Girls, has anyone else been waking up the last week or so thinking this was all a dream?? It just seems to good to be true!

Indeed mate.

I hope the press talk of Marshall is nads, we need a genuine top drawer keeper if we're going to threaten the top sides in this league, especially given how open we play.

A top keeper is as essential as a 20+ goal a season striker, as they can win you just as many points

Pretty much all prem first choice keepers are off limits unless we spent truly stupid amounts

Indeed mate.

Top keeper and Rooney would be my personal 'dream'

We do need to acquire a top class keeper. Goals win matches and if you have someone in goal who can genuinely stop opposition players getting goals then we will pick up points. Lloris at Spurs saves them regularly.
Money spent on a top drawer keeper is money well spent.

He's obviously been told he'll get a sizeable net budget this summer, hence his comments.

We're going to be shopping in a better class of store than we've largely been able to.

However, we've seen at close quarters that even when armed with a huge budget it's very easy to get it horribly wrong *hello rawk*, so we need to remain very circumspect in how we approach the market.
It needs to be played perfectly, only takes one or two billy big bollocks on massive wages to destroy a dressing room.

Clubs will want more money now from us

I don't think that's actually the case, but it could swing the other way if it does. If Everton are in for Player A for £20 million and then City puts in a bid for the same amount, would the selling team then tell City no, we want £30 million from you because you're minted? They could, but they'd probably not get the sale.

The marketing side I get.

The football side I dont. Well, not as obviously. It would, for me, hinge on his attitude. Retirement home, or a chance to help Everton regain our stature in this new world. I would like to think the latter, but I would not want to pay him the sort of cash he is on, nor could get in the MLS or China.

This is not a retirement home for him.

Never met the fella but he had 15% of Arsenal, dividends up the kazoo for doing sweet FA. I'd rather sit on 15% of Arsenal (he sold that for 200m) than buy 50% of Everton and expect more profit.

What he wants is a say in things, a stick to stir the sh-- with. No, this boy is here to ring the changes and bang Elstone's head inside a massive bell until he f's off [ok maybe i made that last bit up]

I don't think that's actually the case, but it could swing the other way if it does. If Everton are in for Player A for £20 million and then City puts in a bid for the same amount, would the selling team then tell City no, we want £30 million from you because you're minted? They could, but they'd probably not get the sale.

Trouble with buying players from other Premier League clubs:

1) We're all minted (8bn in TV rights next season)
2) British players almost never go abroad (Naismith went to Norwich when he could have gone to a club in Europe, even if it was Celtic in his homeland but France, Spain, Italy, Germany, you name it)
3) If you're selling a player to Marseille, it's because he is crap. If you're selling a player and waiting for the highest bidder....well you better hope an English club comes in for him because that's +10m.
4) If an English club does come in for him, you're selling him to a league rival....+10m right there.
5) Since that's always the case - proven PL experience. +10m
6) BK is your chairman....or Jeremy Peace, or Peter Coates, or whoever.... +10m

Result?
Sterling 50m
Carroll 35m
Alan Shearer 15m (in his day)
Lovren 20m
Ballotelli 15m
Benteke 32m

it's a joke! but it's true, and the RS fall for it every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.