Homepage Update: Martinez on “the new era” for transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have realized that football as a 'sport' is no more and is more to do with business and financial acumen. However I hope that the Everton motto Nil Satis Nissi Optimum means that because we have financial backing now , we are not going to buy a league title. We are the school of science, not a bank.
I want us to win because we are the best, not because we can buy the best.

I have realized that football as a 'sport' is no more and is more to do with business and financial acumen. However I hope that the Everton motto Nil Satis Nissi Optimum means that because we have financial backing now , we are not going to buy a league title. We are the school of science, not a bank.
The way to win the league from our position is to have the best youth development setup in the country. I think that's Martinez's ambition, too. The millions will help fill in the gaps.

Agree mostly, but if we become the best though acquiring top talent, I'm happy.

But I'd like us to remain a team rather than a collection of mercenaries.

Quite excited though

I agree that we have a great set up as regards bringing up youngsters. The point of my post is that I hope we don't rely on the financial acumen rather than bringing on the youngsters. How many of the so called 'top sides' have an academy as good and as successful as ours.

Agree mostly, but if we become the best though acquiring top talent, I'm happy.

But I'd like us to remain a team rather than a collection of mercenaries.

Quite excited though

This. All teams over the years have bought titles/cups etc. Its all about the money that is available,. In the 60/70s it was the pools and gate reciepts that allowed clubs to spend. Clubs spent to their income. In the last 20odd years tv money has gone through the roof and that is why alot of teams have thier mercenaries.

I agree that we have a great set up as regards bringing up youngsters. The point of my post is that I hope we don't rely on the financial acumen rather than bringing on the youngsters. How many of the so called 'top sides' have an academy as good and as successful as ours.
I don't think we'll be able to. We're not City or Chelsea rich. We've just had a decent leg-up to a more level playing field.

You really think so?
I do. And it's not just an astral tingle in my testicles.

I think it makes perfect sense. He's a global star, so he'd raise our profile amongst football fans and football players alike. He loves the club, so he'd actually come. And now, we can afford him.

Even if he doesn't offer what he once did on the pitch, the message it would send to our star players and the football world makes it a no-brainer for me.

I do. And it's not just an astral tingle in my testicles.

I think it makes perfect sense. He's a global star, so he'd raise our profile amongst football fans and football players alike. He loves the club, so he'd actually come. And now, we can afford him.

Even if he doesn't offer what he once did on the pitch, the message it would send to our star players and the football world makes it a no-brainer for me.

The marketing side I get.

The football side I dont. Well, not as obviously. It would, for me, hinge on his attitude. Retirement home, or a chance to help Everton regain our stature in this new world. I would like to think the latter, but I would not want to pay him the sort of cash he is on, nor could get in the MLS or China.

Status
Not open for further replies.