Homepage Update: Martinez on “the new era” for transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do. And it's not just an astral tingle in my testicles.

I think it makes perfect sense. He's a global star, so he'd raise our profile amongst football fans and football players alike. He loves the club, so he'd actually come. And now, we can afford him.

Even if he doesn't offer what he once did on the pitch, the message it would send to our star players and the football world makes it a no-brainer for me.
Agree 100%

The marketing side I get.

The football side I dont. Well, not as obviously. It would, for me, hinge on his attitude. Retirement home, or a chance to help Everton regain our stature in this new world. I would like to think the latter, but I would not want to pay him the sort of cash he is on, nor could get in the MLS or China.
And who's he gonna replace? Lukaku? Barkley? No thanks. Don't think he's coming to be a squad player either.

He's obviously been told he'll get a sizeable net budget this summer, hence his comments.

We're going to be shopping in a better class of store than we've largely been able to.

However, we've seen at close quarters that even when armed with a huge budget it's very easy to get it horribly wrong *hello rawk*, so we need to remain very circumspect in how we approach the market.

The marketing side I get.

The football side I dont. Well, not as obviously. It would, for me, hinge on his attitude. Retirement home, or a chance to help Everton regain our stature in this new world. I would like to think the latter, but I would not want to pay him the sort of cash he is on, nor could get in the MLS or China.
Superficially, I don't think he'd bring anything revolutionary to our game.

But he'd bring an enormous amount of experience - particuarly of winning. That's infectious. It's one thing thinking you might be able to win a trophy, and another knowing you can. That's a subtle, but massive, psychological hurdle he could help us over.

If he was motivated to be, he could be a talismanic figure in the dressing room. And I think he would be.

I do. And it's not just an astral tingle in my testicles.

I think it makes perfect sense. He's a global star, so he'd raise our profile amongst football fans and football players alike. He loves the club, so he'd actually come. And now, we can afford him.

Even if he doesn't offer what he once did on the pitch, the message it would send to our star players and the football world makes it a no-brainer for me.

Imagine Lukaku Rooney Barkley with Yarmolenko and Del wide, all killing teams within the first 60 minutes

He's obviously been told he'll get a sizeable net budget this summer, hence his comments.

We're going to be shopping in a better class of store than we've largely been able to.

However, we've seen at close quarters that even when armed with a huge budget it's very easy to get it horribly wrong *hello rawk*, so we need to remain very circumspect in how we approach the market.
Interesting to see what he'll do in keeper department

The way to win the league from our position is to have the best youth development setup in the country. I think that's Martinez's ambition, too. The millions will help fill in the gaps.
You have hit the nail on the head, everything in the last 18 months is laying the foundations for that to happen, the extra cash may just shorten that time scale.
I for one am convinced we will be back on top with the new set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.