Young EFC Players Out On Loan 17-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
The type of player Dowell is, he will have periods where he isn't involved, especially at his age. He'll be a cracking player. Really good to see Walsh getting some first team experience, hopefully Redknapps sacking won't hinder him.

...there is a consistent theme that Dowell has match winning ability but goes missing in matches. I love the fella but it's probably holding him back. I suppose the difference with somebody like Lookman is that he might be inconsistent during games but he's still involved and doesn't let his head go down.

There's a bit of luck involved as well, one manager might not rate a player as highly as another. Barkley's rating from Martinez and Koeman for example.

to be fair mate, the argument was, what is a player like him going to learn in the championship

as in, you cant hone the skills of a player of his kind, playing in a league that is nothing like where we want him to end up (unless you want him to learn how to take a kicking)

hed have been better going on loan into Europe than the championship
I disagree.

Firstly, if you've seen any Championship football you'll know it's basically just a poorer version of the top flight. It's not sunday league, it's proper football, with internationals and players who've spent most of their career in the PL. He won't be getting booted any more than he would in our first team I can assure you of that.

Secondly, and most importantly, it's a misguided idea that the point of a loan is for a player to look dead good and fill their boots with goals and assists. He's been loaned out so he can start to understand what playing in front of big crowds is like, what coming up against quality footballers is like, how hard you need to work to succeed in English football. Th eidea is to improve on your weaknesses not get to play to your strengths. Playing in the Championship will prepare him for life in the Premier League far better than strolling round in front of a couple of thousand at Go Ahead Eagles and getting 5 minutes on the ball every time he gets it.

I disagree.

Firstly, if you've seen any Championship football you'll know it's basically just a poorer version of the top flight. It's not sunday league, it's proper football, with internationals and players who've spent most of their career in the PL. He won't be getting booted any more than he would in our first team I can assure you of that.

Secondly, and most importantly, it's a misguided idea that the point of a loan is for a player to look dead good and fill their boots with goals and assists. He's been loaned out so he can start to understand what playing in front of big crowds is like, what coming up against quality footballers is like, how hard you need to work to succeed in English football. Th eidea is to improve on your weaknesses not get to play to your strengths. Playing in the Championship will prepare him for life in the Premier League far better than strolling round in front of a couple of thousand at Go Ahead Eagles and getting 5 minutes on the ball every time he gets it.

yeah i totally get all of that, i didnt say that was my opinion, i merely stated that was the argument at the time from people like davek

i just didnt like the way whoevers comment i quoted used it as a stick to beat someone with, as it was not the correct stick to use

yeah i totally get all of that, i didnt say that was my opinion, i merely stated that was the argument at the time from people like davek

i just didnt like the way whoevers comment i quoted used it as a stick to beat someone with, as it was not the correct stick to use

I wasn't beating him with any stick, I love Dowell. I'm just kinda glad he's fading in and out of games and proving right those that watch him that whilst he has talent he still 100% needed a loan.

EFL Carabao Cup
Nottingham Forest - Kieran Dowell started and was substituted in the 74th minute of a 1-5 away defeat to Chelsea.

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
27' Chelsea 2-0 #NFFC: Dowell steps up to take the free kick and his effort crashes against the crossbar with Caballero beaten
55' Chelsea 4-0 #NFFC: Dowell comes close for Forest, whipping an effort just over the crossbar from 12 yards

Fan comments
"Only Dowell & Bouchalakis looked comfortable at that level."
"Dowell was a lazy disgrace."

Maybe it's a fitness issue - there seem to be quite a number of games where he is not playing 90 minutes:

Millwall - came on in 59th minute - W
Shrewsbury - subbed in 64th minute - W
Brentford - came on in 45th minute - W
Barnsley - played full game - L
Middlesbrough - played full game - W
Newcastle - subbed in 62nd minute - W
Leeds - played full game - L
Sheffield Wednesday - came on in 63rd minute - L
Sunderland - subbed in 69th minute - L
Wolves - subbed in 62nd minute - L
Chelsea - subbed in 74th minute - L

He'd learn how to have a more frequent impact. Of course it's unfair, but players like Hazard, Eriksson and de Bruyne are in his position, and it's rare for any of them to go missing in games, whereas Dowell still does, even at a lower level.

Hazard had a season only 2 years ago where he was completely off the boil compared to his normal level, so inconsistency at a young age is not unexpected. Hopefully by the time he hits 24/25 then he will be really controlling games(Dowell that is).

Maybe it's a fitness issue - there seem to be quite a number of games where he is not playing 90 minutes:

Millwall - came on in 59th minute - W
Shrewsbury - subbed in 64th minute - W
Brentford - came on in 45th minute - W
Barnsley - played full game - L
Middlesbrough - played full game - W
Newcastle - subbed in 62nd minute - W
Leeds - played full game - L
Sheffield Wednesday - came on in 63rd minute - L
Sunderland - subbed in 69th minute - L
Wolves - subbed in 62nd minute - L
Chelsea - subbed in 74th minute - L
Im not sure whether it's a chicken and egg situation - is he not as fit as he should be because he only plays 65 mins, or does he only play 65 mins because he fades after about 50. Unlike say Davies or Walsh he doesn't do enough running in a match to get match fitter. I love the fan comments - " comfortable " " a lazy disgrace" could be Evertonians on GOT !

Status
Not open for further replies.