Young EFC Players Out On Loan 17-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Joe Williams playing for Barnsley , slow-forwarding through bits he's not involved in. He was playing a deep lying midfield role, and in the first half just about everything went to and through him , lots of short, neat passes , covered lots of ground , always making himself available and looking composed. On a few occaisions he was sticking his legs, body, and head in , in the way we know he does, and have to say I enjoyed his first half performance . It was almost the opposite of Dowell playing for Forest, constant involvement but none of the subtle killer passes that Dowell makes, few of Joe's passes opened up the defence but virtually all found his man albeit they were short and often sideways.
If I use the @Eggs criteria of " Would we buy him as a 20 year old Championship midfielder?" I would say probably not, the competition from the likes of Walsh, Davies and Dowell , let alone our so called seasoned midfielders would suggest a tough route to the first team. But this is a great chance this season for him to establish himself as a minimum of being a good Championship player. He was sound today in a team which was defensively inept and with few quality players , I'll await with interest the Barnsley's fans view of him , remembering the fume we generate after a 3-0 home defeat they may not be kind.

I watched him in that game too. He was all over the pitch first half and I did feel the score was a bit harsh on Barnsley.

He drifted into full Schneiderlin second half.

But yeah this loan will be really good for him.

Makes you wonder whether that's what he's been told to do or if it's his natural instinct. The few times he's passed it forward he's found his man well.
He really developed his passing for the U23's playing some great incisive forward balls. If he's not doing it at Championship level it's either by instruction or a lack of confidence. He's not Glen Hoddle but he's more than capable of playing a good long range pass.

Championship
Birmingham City - Liam Walsh started on the bench and came on in 4th minute of 1-3 home defeat to Preston North End

OS Match Report
"Boga then won a free-kick in a dangerous position by the left corner flag. The ball was fizzed into the far post by Walsh, but Sam Gallagher just failed to get enough of his head onto it and it flew wide of the post."

Twitter stuff
3 - Blues are forced into an early change as Jason Lowe picks up a knock. Liam Walsh replaces him. 0-0
32 - Walsh's terrific delivery just beats Morrison's attempted header at the near post. Close. 0-0
39 - Walsh gets caught in possession, Hugill races into the box and miscues his right-footed effort. Chance for the visitors. 1-0

Fan comments
"Walsh - 6 - the game whizzed past him for the 20 minute period we let in 3, but he was brave, always wanted the ball, and needed better support"
"Walsh best player but his inexperience did show. Could have done with an old head with him. Unfortunately he had Davis and the French giraffe on ice with him."
"Walsh-3 some great passes but mixed in with a lot of awful ones poor for both goals. Thinks he has more time than he has and looks weak"
"Colin was given the ball by Walsh when in that situation Walsh had to clear it and not try to play. Colin never had a chance to clear so I blame Walsh more for the goal."

Ipswich Town - Callum Connolly started and was subbed at half time of 2-0 home win against Bolton Wanderers

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
44 | Antonee Robinson catches @Callum1connolly as the Everton loanee was turning. Connolly's holding his knee as Town have a free-kick...

Bolton Wanderers - Antonee Robinson played full match in 0-2 away defeat against Ipswich Town

OS Match Report
"Madine had another good chance at the far post after he connected to Robinson’s deep cross but couldn’t head the ball on target."

Twitter stuff
An excellent opportunity for an equaliser as @Antonee_Jedi 's deep cross finds Madine, but the striker heads over. (72)

Fan comment
"Both full backs were decent going forward but dodgy defensively"

Nottingham Forest - Kieran Dowell started and was subbed in 62nd minute of 1-2 home defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers

OS Match Report
"Forest carved out another chance on 23 minutes when Brereton beat his man on the right side before shifting the ball to Dowell who fizzed an effort at towards goal."
"Dowell was trying to make things happen for The Reds and he came close to opening the score again when some quick feet created a shooting chance but his effort was well held by Ruddy."

Twitter stuff
23' #NFFC 0-0 Wolves: Dowell has a sight of goal on the edge of the box after good work by Brereton, forcing Ruddy into a low save
37' #NFFC 0-0 Wolves: Dowell works himself half a yard of space inside the area and chips an effort towards goal but Ruddy saves

Fan comments
"Dowell - 6: Some quality touches and closing down, was disappointed to see him get subbed."
"Similarly, Dowell had 1 good effort and did nothing else. Never makes a run past the forward, doesn't come out wide.... McKay and Dowell didn't put in half a shift for me and should have been changed earlier."
"Dowell is a tidy player but he drifts out of the game quite a bit"

Barnsley - Joe Williams played full match in 0-3 home defeat to Aston Villa

OS Match Report

Fan comments
"Hammill got stuck in early doors and so did Williams"
"I rated McCarthy & Williams to begin with today"
"We played some very good football in that first half and in Williams, Potts, McCarthy, Hammill and Moncur we had players who offer us a very bright future."

(Note re previous posts: Barnsley fans saying Williams played 'Barry' role - i.e. sitting on his own in front of defence - so maybe he was supposed to be the link between defence and the 'creative midfield'.)

Tyias Browning was an unused sub in Sunderland's game.
Brendan Galloway was not in matchday squad.
Matthew Pennington still recovering from injury.
Conor Grant still in concussion protocol.

Championship
Birmingham City - Liam Walsh started on the bench and came on in 4th minute of 1-3 home defeat to Preston North End

OS Match Report
"Boga then won a free-kick in a dangerous position by the left corner flag. The ball was fizzed into the far post by Walsh, but Sam Gallagher just failed to get enough of his head onto it and it flew wide of the post."

Twitter stuff
3 - Blues are forced into an early change as Jason Lowe picks up a knock. Liam Walsh replaces him. 0-0
32 - Walsh's terrific delivery just beats Morrison's attempted header at the near post. Close. 0-0
39 - Walsh gets caught in possession, Hugill races into the box and miscues his right-footed effort. Chance for the visitors. 1-0

Fan comments
"Walsh - 6 - the game whizzed past him for the 20 minute period we let in 3, but he was brave, always wanted the ball, and needed better support"
"Walsh best player but his inexperience did show. Could have done with an old head with him. Unfortunately he had Davis and the French giraffe on ice with him."
"Walsh-3 some great passes but mixed in with a lot of awful ones poor for both goals. Thinks he has more time than he has and looks weak"
"Colin was given the ball by Walsh when in that situation Walsh had to clear it and not try to play. Colin never had a chance to clear so I blame Walsh more for the goal."

Ipswich Town - Callum Connolly started and was subbed at half time of 2-0 home win against Bolton Wanderers

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
44 | Antonee Robinson catches @Callum1connolly as the Everton loanee was turning. Connolly's holding his knee as Town have a free-kick...

Bolton Wanderers - Antonee Robinson played full match in 0-2 away defeat against Ipswich Town

OS Match Report
"Madine had another good chance at the far post after he connected to Robinson’s deep cross but couldn’t head the ball on target."

Twitter stuff
An excellent opportunity for an equaliser as @Antonee_Jedi 's deep cross finds Madine, but the striker heads over. (72)

Fan comment

Nottingham Forest - Kieran Dowell started and was subbed in 62nd minute of 1-2 home defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers

OS Match Report
"Forest carved out another chance on 23 minutes when Brereton beat his man on the right side before shifting the ball to Dowell who fizzed an effort at towards goal."
"Dowell was trying to make things happen for The Reds and he came close to opening the score again when some quick feet created a shooting chance but his effort was well held by Ruddy."

Twitter stuff
23' #NFFC 0-0 Wolves: Dowell has a sight of goal on the edge of the box after good work by Brereton, forcing Ruddy into a low save
37' #NFFC 0-0 Wolves: Dowell works himself half a yard of space inside the area and chips an effort towards goal but Ruddy saves

Fan comments
"Dowell - 6: Some quality touches and closing down, was disappointed to see him get subbed."
"Similarly, Dowell had 1 good effort and did nothing else. Never makes a run past the forward, doesn't come out wide.... McKay and Dowell didn't put in half a shift for me and should have been changed earlier."

OS Match Report

Fan comments
"We played some very good football in that first half and in Williams, Potts, McCarthy, Hammill and Moncur we had players who offer us a very bright future."

(Note re previous posts: Barnsley fans saying Williams played 'Barry' role - i.e. sitting on his own in front of defence - so maybe he was supposed to be the link between defence and the 'creative midfield'.)

..cheers, excellent as always. It seems a difficult time for Liam Walsh but it must be tough being at a club who are struggling for points and managerless. Be interesting how he gets on with the new manager.

Championship

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff

Fan comments

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff

Fan comment

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff

Fan comments

OS Match Report

Fan comments

As ever I would echo the above thanks, these reports are excellent .
So Connolly possibly had a knee knock before his substitution.
I saw the Preston goals and Walsh was in close attendance but not impacting play for two of them , not saying he was at fault .
I like the Barry role comparison for Williams, that's pretty close to how he played and I was going to say that but then people roll their eyes and get over critical if you try to suggest he plays in the manner of an experienced player.

I wish more people would read @atrottel 's excellent reports and get a better feel for how the likes of Dowell, Walsh, Williams, Connelly etc are doing and whether they are impacting games at Championship level. If they were playing for our U23s they would be standout players and there would be a clamour to have them enmasse in our first team when for most parts they are 19/20 year olds still developing. I suspect in some cases I would be one of them , well we won't know until they're tried out, I'm off to find the "Jonjoe must start at right back " thread :)

Onyekuru got yellow for a dive yesterday. Tbh I am not really sure if it is a dive, okay he goes down very quick but there seems to be some form of contact. He could have won a penalty. RSCA would have probably missed it but still:

The images:

Onyekuru got yellow for a dive yesterday. Tbh I am not really sure if it is a dive, okay he goes down very quick but there seems to be some form of contact. He could have won a penalty. RSCA would have probably missed it but still:

The images:

Diificult to see if there's actually much contact from that angle, but he made the most of it at the very least!

Joe Williams was awarded MOM for Barnsley:

That's super for the lad and well deserved . Most of his passes yesterday were short and simple and somebody in an earlier post commented that he must have been told to play that way as he can hit long range passes too. This is certainly true , and at times yesterday as he moved forward there was little movement ahead of him to hit a longer ball into. I remember a couple of seasons ago Ryan Ledson on loan in League 2 , was it Cambridge? , getting lots of stick for hitting 40 yard passes " to nowhere" as teammates just weren't on the same wavelength to run into space. So Joe looks like he's being sensible with his passing. Whether it was him playing a deeper role and his team mates trusting him , but it is in contrast to what I have seen for the further forward playing Dowell , who doesn't seem to get as many short passes from his team mates even when a good position.

Thanks again for the updates.
It seem to be a common thread with Dowell every week that he drifts in and out of games for long periods and is a bit weak physically.
That seems to be very much in keeping with how he performed in the under 23 set up.
Hopefully playing big boys football with concentrate his thoughts more because he definitely has the skill and footballing attributes to succeed

Status
Not open for further replies.